What powder .270 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Default What powder .270

New to reloader have a bunch of manuals and look on here too.reloading for a rem model 700 mostly for hunting some plinking.I will be using 130gr bullet I don't want to buy a bunch of powders there is so many out there whats a good one to start and get me going.I know this is hard to answer maybe one that i can use for more then one load.....thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:17 PM

H-4831 and IMR-4064 are supposed to be good in a 270 Winchester with a 130 gr. bullet, if that is the cartridge that you are loading for.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:19 PM

That's not that simple an answer. Most who reload tinker with several powders, bullets, primers, etc. I was in your shoes once, now I probably have 25 different powders, oodles of bullets and a book full of personal data from about 15 different calibers. Myself, I would try IMR 4350 for that caliber to start. But then there's R-22 and H414 too.... But I like IMR 4350 for a couple similar calibers.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:33 PM

I like 4064
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:41 PM

Gun Cabinet

4831. Jack O'Conner said it, I believe it, therefore it is!

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 05:10 AM

JOC liked both 4831 and IMR4064.

Good Shooting,
George
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 05:56 AM

4350 or re19 would be my first choice

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 08:52 AM

See what I mean, Recurver… Six opinions and six options, only you can figure out which one your gun likes. And that is just the start of it. Then comes primer choice, powder charge, seating depth, fine tune powder charge, fine tune seating depth, crimp or no crimp. Rinse and repeat. Oh and don't overlook brass preparation, consistency is of the upmost importance all the way through the reloading procedure.

It's a fun process, but it's also a rathole...

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

All right recurver - active since 2008 with only 12 posts [Come On Man!]. You have hit my sweet spot in the 270.

Yours: Rem Model 700 [CDL(?)]……………………………………………Mine: Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight
comparable 2020 price new: $1029 [MSRP]………………………..$1009.99 [MSRP] inexpensive in 1990 at $350 w/scope on consignment in a Bow Shop
wooden stock (?)…………………………………………………………………….YES
barrel length: 24"...………………………………………………………………..22"
1" in 10" twist...……………………………………………………………………….1" in 10" twist
4 round magazine...………………………………………………………………...5 round magazine
7.5 pounds (with no scope or rings)……………………………………….7.0 pounds (with no scope or rings)

My floating, thin, whippy barrel likes IMR-4831 [thank you atllaw] at 49 to 53 grains (three or four relative minimums in there for mine), CCI 250 Large Rifle primers, and while I prefer to shoot 150 grain Nosler Partitions for ~1" groups at 100 yards, my barrel prefers 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for clover leaf groups at 100 yards. Your mileage may vary.

Gentlemen, PLEASE EDIT YOUR POSTS and use the MFG designation preceding your powder number! There MAY BE other MFGs that use the same number.

Not saying that has happened here.

Last edited by land_owner; 02-15-2020 at 10:47 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 07:38 AM

imr and hodgdon are the same powders today. Made by the same company. Only difference is lot to lot. Even if you throw powders like aa4350 into the mess if a guy sticks to levels in a reloading manual for one your not going to get into trouble using the other. IF you want to insist on something for safety. Insist people that post specific loads also post which reloading manual they got that load from so beginners don't just assume its a safe load
Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
All right recurver - active since 2008 with only 12 posts [Come On Man!]. You have hit my sweet spot in the 270.

Yours: Rem Model 700 [CDL(?)]……………………………………………Mine: Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight
comparable 2020 price new: $1029 [MSRP]………………………..$1009.99 [MSRP] inexpensive in 1990 at $350 w/scope on consignment in a Bow Shop
wooden stock (?)…………………………………………………………………….YES
barrel length: 24"...………………………………………………………………..22"
1" in 10" twist...……………………………………………………………………….1" in 10" twist
4 round magazine...………………………………………………………………...5 round magazine
7.5 pounds (with no scope or rings)……………………………………….7.0 pounds (with no scope or rings)

My floating, thin, whippy barrel likes IMR-4831 [thank you atllaw] at 49 to 53 grains (three or four relative minimums in there for mine), CCI 250 Large Rifle primers, and while I prefer to shoot 150 grain Nosler Partitions for ~1" groups at 100 yards, my barrel prefers 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for clover leaf groups at 100 yards. Your mileage may vary.

Gentlemen, PLEASE EDIT YOUR POSTS and use the MFG designation preceding your powder number! There MAY BE other MFGs that use the same number.

Not saying that has happened here.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 02-16-2020 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page