Actual performance on game 44 mag JSP bullets ? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Default Actual performance on game 44 mag JSP bullets ?

Just came into a T/C Encore w/ 20" 1 in 20 twist 44 mag . I'm getting components together & wanted others to chime in on their experiences . Most jacketed bullets available are JHP's . I'd prefer something that'd offer more penetration with some expansion . Main game animals are deer , black bear & hogs . Standard weight in 44 mag is 240gr & I don't need a 300gr bullet . Got the Rem 240 JSP , only Win 240 is a hollow soft point , Nosler 240 JSP & Speer has 3 different JSP's including the 270 GD . Unfortunately the 250 HG Part bullet is no longer available . All that said I'm hoping that some of you have actually used these on game & am interested in your observations . I want something that'll hold together if shoulders get in the way . I know many deer hunters use the 240 JHP's & lighter . Many get theirs with factory loads & they all seem to work for them . I want stouter design mainly for hogs & / or a bear . If I go cast I'm going to have to get new moulds once I find it's preferred bullet . I do shoot plain base in my RBH , but for a rifle I believe gaschecks & little harder alloy will make life much easier especially if pushed hard . That's another kettle of fish . BTW has anyone actually used either the Montana Gold 240 JSP or the Zero 240 JSP on game ? How did they perform ? They're currently cheaper than the rest but once upon a time so were Corelokts & Power Points .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 03:46 PM

I shot a 6 point whitetail with Winchester white box 240 gr SP. It was almost a straight on frontal shot, but had a very slight quartering angle. Entry was left enter of chest just inside point of the shoulder. Found the bullet under the hide on the rear of the right side ham when I skinned it out. IIRC about the front third of the bullet showed mild/moderate expansion. Shot was at about 25 yards or slightly less.

This was from a 22" barrel H&R Handi rifle.

Shot 2 other deer with it using Hornady 240gr XTP HP's. Both of those were broadside thru and thru double lung shots with golf ball size exits.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 04:22 PM

Gun Cabinet

Not a lot of experience with the .44mag, but on the two hunts I used one, I killed a big bodied Indiana buck with Winchester white box 240gr JFN out of a H&R single shot and a monster Georgia boar with a Marlin shooting 270gr Gold Dot loads by Speer. A couple pics of two bullets taken from the big boar as we caped him. I'd call that picture perfect performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-70.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	241572  

Name:	thumbnail-71.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	241574  

Name:	thumbnail-73.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	241576  

Name:	Big Georgia Boar.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	241578  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 04:25 PM

I've lost count of the number of deer I've shot with my Ruger Deerfield 44 Mag. I load Hornady 240 gr XTP and Remington 240 gr jsp over a max load of H110 powder. Both absolutely hammer deer with no tracking required.

357 Mag camo syn stock, 30/30 cinnamon lam checkered straight grip stock, 20 ga USH camo syn stock, 20 ga Topper Jr 490 cut to 21.5" and Rem Chokes, 357 Rem Max nickel Topper 88 .410 stock.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Shot several deer with the .44 magnum all with handguns but most all used JHPs with the Hornady 240 XTP JHP being the most used. I've also shot them with cast bullets and that seemed to do a similar job. I used a 180 Hornady pre XTP moving only around 1200 fps and it killed cleanly but failed to exit due to low weight and low velocity.

The only deer shot with a JSP in handgun caliber was the Sierra 300 JSP from a Freedom Arms .454 Casull. It was one of my most disappointing kills as well. I hit the deer at 25-30 yards broadside in the lungs. I'd guess the deer ran well over 200 yards before falling over dead. It did leave a good blood trail and I followed it to the deer. Weird thing was the deer fell less than 50 yards from where I shot it. It made a long circle coming back almost to where I shot it before finally falling over dead.

Since you are using a rifle not handgun you will be getting more velocity and that might mean more internal damage and thus a quicker kill. My wife shot a couple of Corsican rams in Texas on an exotics hunting using a Marlin 336 in .44 Magnum (only made a couple years in .44). She was using Hornady 240 XTP JHPs over 24.0 grains of W296. Both bullets exited and both made good clean kills. The first one was shot at perhaps 25 yards and I believe I could have put my fish into the exit hole on that one.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:40 PM

What I use in my super 16 contender, very accurate and deadly. I have been using it since the SPEER 240JSP became hard to get.

http://arsenalmolds.com/bullet-molds...it=99999999999

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED *****Not available in all areas.***** Void where prohibited by law. *****Many many many restrictions apply.*****

Last edited by chuckduster01; 02-19-2020 at 05:42 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 07:52 AM

Great deer load! When the arthritus still let me handle my 44 Magnum, it was that, or a book max, (12.0grs) of Blue Dot. IMR 4227 did well also, but the Hornady XTP is argueably the best handgun/muzzleloader rifle deer bullet.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

336ER that 270 GD looks pretty darn good . Chuckduster1 that 250 FN looks pretty good too . Don't get me wrong the XTP & other JHP's work very well on deer . Though I usually take smaller hogs for eating , for the big ones penetration is primary with expansion being icing on the cake . Good tough bullet high shoulder & take out the spinal column or behind the ear . Cast 260 - 280 with a good meplat & right alloy gaschecked if gun likes 'em . Definately giving that Speer 270 a road test too . As far as the 240gr JSP's I'm not sure if the higher priced ones actually give superior performance over say factory or a Speer Unicore JSP .
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 07:39 PM

Yep, as mentioned the Hornady .240gr XTP has been probably the most popular bullet made for inline muzzleloaders for decades...My hunting partners and I have used them for years as well as the same bullet in 300gr, simply depended upon which the gun preferred...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 12:04 AM

I've shot several deer with speer 270 gold dots and nosler 240 jsp from my ruger 44 carbine. Got one of my longest kills hunting a soybean field with a 140 ish yard shot with the 270 grain...
They both work great, have not experienced any bullet failures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page