Powder not burning up. Bad Primers?? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Default Powder not burning up. Bad Primers??

I recently bought a brick of Winchester LP primers at a gun show. Since using these primers I have been having some issues including squib loads on some ammo.
Also I have noticed a lot of unburnt powder residue in the chamber and cases. On several types of powder. New and old. Is it possible I bought a bad batch of primers? I haven't experienced this in 20 plus years of reloading.
Powder is Lil'Gun, and IMR 4227(both new canisters) also Scott 4100
Loads are straight wall pistol loads. Firm roll crimp used.
45 colt
44 magnum
Any thoughts would help.
Thanks, Vance

no x now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 09:40 PM
SEM

Gun Cabinet

sounds like they are the problem, may have been stored damp
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEM View Post
sounds like they are the problem, may have been stored damp
my suspicion as well. That doesn't make me happy to think I got stuck. I loaded up some more rounds last evening with different primers to see if the powder is getting more burn.
Thanks

no x now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 11:13 AM
SEM

Gun Cabinet

Not that it makes it ok, At least your not finding out now instead of a do or die moment, I have had my share of great deal disappointments too. Surplus bullets CHEAP did not mentioned that they may have been pulls, So erratic in diameter that the base can be .226 and at the cannlure be .223 same bullet, really sucks to be loading on a 550 and when you have a bin full go to dump it only to find some really short rounds... The distorted bullets fell in to the case no neck tension and the crimp die was set for normal .224 at least I found out at home only after the first 200, Solution run all of the bullets through a Lee .224 bullet sizer die even though it wont fix the undersize portions, The majority were just fine .224ish, Neck size brass first station with out expander, readjust the crimp die. And a plinking we will go
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 12:36 PM

Sorry for your problem but that is the main reason that I do not buy primers and powder at gun shows unless the vender has a shop in town and also sell at gun shows. I was given a bunch of Federal 209 primers that was from a estate no telling how old and they are the same way some shoot and some don't so I only try them on target shooting with the black powder rifle.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2020, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Well I tried my 45 Colt loads with LPM primers with the same issues. IMR 4227 (new can) still had a lot of unburnt powder. Plus the loads were very erratic.

no x now!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 12:59 PM

Just guessing, I think the powder is to slow!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fischer View Post
Just guessing, I think the powder is to slow!
I think you might be correct.
I tried my 45 colt Loads with CCI mag PP. Same ole same. Lot's of unburnt IMR4227. The W296 burned just fine.
The good news is my whole brick of Winchester LPP might be just fine.

no x now!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2020, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

I use IMR4227 for 223 Bator, in single shot Handi-rifles and all Ruger 45 Colt rounds on a routine and customary basis without squib, fail, or unburned powder. I suspect that some contaminant has been introduced into your 4227 can.

Once, I contaminated my own, with Win 748 and IMR 700X mixed in the same powder measure. The resulting 357 Mag rounds came out of the Handi-rifle as fizzles, you could literally see the bullet impact the ground about 5 yards in front of the bench, and there was a LOT of unburned powder that came from the barrel.

I was lucky. You are lucky...could have gone the other way too.

Last edited by land_owner; 03-29-2020 at 06:48 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
I use IMR4227 for 223 Bator, in single shot Handi-rifles and all Ruger 45 Colt rounds on a routine and customary basis without squib, fail, or unburned powder. I suspect that some contaminant has been introduced into your 4227 can.

Once, I contaminated my own, with Win 748 and IMR 700X mixed in the same powder measure. The resulting 357 Mag rounds came out of the Handi-rifle as fizzles, you could literally see the bullet impact the ground about 5 yards in front of the bench, and there was a LOT of unburned powder that came from the barrel.

I was lucky. You are lucky...could have gone the other way too.
Oh man. That's would be a bummer, since my can is less than a month since I purchased it.
A couple of years ago I burn up some powder that was obsolete since I knew I could no longer depend on it for future loads. What was interesting , the 3 partial cans I dumped on newspaper and burned up, all burned with furry and fervor. The next spring I was giving my outdoor concrete slab a good cleaning and swept up some remnants of the powder burns. I placed those on a paper towel and I was amazed at how they ignited when I lit the corner. After several months being outside fully exposed to the elements they still lit off as if it was gunpowder. I was shocked.

no x now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page