RCBS Chargemaster - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Default RCBS Chargemaster

Have wanted one for years. Just couldnt see spending that much money. But I saw that Natchez has them on sale for $319. That's over a hundred bucks off. So I decided it was now or never. Got a few buddies with them, and along with online reviews, hard to ever find bad words.

I have been slowly upgrading from my Lee stuff, just for creature comforts. Most Lee stuff is great, but some things make life easier. Like the RCBS Trim Pro, with multiple stations to prep brass. Cant beat it!

Will report back when I put her to use.

T/C Encores. Smokeless Savage and Remington muzzleloaders. Excalibur and Ten Point Crossbows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 08:59 PM

I just ordered one today too. Iíve had one of their older electronic dispensers and scale for years and loved it. It just gave out on me so I ordered the charge master. Iím looking forward to trying it out.

Jim

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those Who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Mine is PACT rather than RCBS, but there are similarities to consider. I put mine away immediately after its purchase almost a decade ago - and never used it again. I hope your experience with the RCBS is better than mine with the PACT.

On a Wednesday, I found that I was completely out and needed 30-30 rounds PDQ for my son's pre-hunt range site-in and firearm familiarization on Thursday. I set the PACT Dispenser up alongside an RCBS 505 beam scale and went into production with both.

I immediately found the PACT Dispenser to be considerably SLOWER in throwing a single charge - 2X slower - than what I could throw with the beam scale. This "slowness" is more than likely in the RCBS as well. Here is why.

The course powder dispenses fast as it loads the pan on the electronic scale. The signal from the scale is constantly checked by the dispenser so that it will know when to slow to trickle.

As the dispenser switches to trickling the charge, nano-seconds increase to quarter-seconds as the electronically amplified signal from the load cell in the scale "settles down" prior to sending a "stable" (average) reading to the dispenser for EVERY trickled addition of charge to the pan. Perhaps RCBS has a different set of input-to-disregard in its programming, which will speed up this process.

One seventy thousandths (1/70,000) of a pound (0.0000143 pounds), equal to 1 tenth of a grain (0.10 grain), is a very-VERY minute amount for the hobby reloader's electronic load cell to distinguish against constantly changing room air currents (you may think it's calm), temperature stratifications, house electric current fluxuations, bench vibrations, your breathing (air currents), your heart beat (vibrating the air), etc.

The load cell is constantly bombarded and measuring minute electrical changes, amplifying input, converting analog (continuous [infinite] smooth wave form) to digital (discrete [displayable] square wave form), while its programming is "thinking" about which of its nano-second inputs to disregard and which to average and send to the dispenser as the "current weight" in the pan.

This electronic amplification and "stability averaging" - is absent in a beam scale that changes immediately when trickling a charge. We LIVE in a MACRO world. Our eyes don't "see" the tiny fluxuations in the beam scale.

The load cell senses ALL OF THE TINY CHANGES in electricity, some of which have to be disregarded. The display of ALL of the load cell changes, in real time, would appear as gibberish. Thankfully in a macro-world, our rifles don't require an exact charge from shot to shot to "seem consistent" at the target, a lot of which is OUR input to variation in shot to shot, but we strive to close that gap.

Long ago, I finished loading those 50 rounds of 30-30 ammo using the dispenser and beam scale combination, but was NOT IMPRESSED with the dispenser afterward. Later, I checked the electronic scale and the beam scale. They are about 0.20 grains apart at the intermediate charge weights I load and further apart at higher weights like 338, 270, and 308 case measurements.

So I checked three (3) scales, a.) PACT electric, b.) RCBS 505, and c.) RCBS 1010, recorded each with the same set of test weights from zero to 33.0 grams (510 grains), and "eyeballed" (statistically analyzed) the results (for something to do in my retirement).

What I found:
a.) I stopped at 510 grains.
b.) The PACT and 1010 scales are capable of 1000+ grains.
c.) The PACT is lightning FAST.
d.) Swing of the pendulum in the 505 and 1010 is time consuming.
e.) The pendulum of the 1010 takes twice as long as the 505 to stabilize.
f.) From e.) the 505 is "easier to dial in" than the 1010.
g.) The 1010 won't stay on zero. Periodic readjustment (+/- 0.05 grains) is required.
h.) YMMV

Last edited by land_owner; 06-19-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

I would say they have come a long way since those times! I have watched them in use, and max cycle time has been 15-20 secs.

T/C Encores. Smokeless Savage and Remington muzzleloaders. Excalibur and Ten Point Crossbows
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Consider that I can dump a charge to the 505 or 1010, from a measure, that is "PD close" to the end product and trickle up to finish (on average) in LESS than 8 seconds.

Last edited by land_owner; 06-19-2020 at 08:28 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
Consider that I can dump a charge to the 505 or 1010, from a measure, that is "PD close" to the end product and trickle up to finish (on average) in LESS than 8 seconds.
This is my method also. Also cheap...

Make America great. Steel for the wall so we donít need cannons to shoot these turds back across the border...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Lol. Ok, you guys win! I am not competing in a race. Not getting into a "mine is better than yours" shuffle. I was simply sharing a purchase that hopefully makes my life easier, and possibly someone elses if they like my thoughts and views of it.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

deadeer - not criticizing your gear whatsoever. I was describing electronic vs. beam scale "production rates" which is an extreme from the everyday ease and relaxation of hobby reloading. I already "took hook, line, and sinker" in the purchase of my electronic dispenser.

You are right. In no way is this a race. Mine ISN'T better than yours. I wasn't attempting any comparison - just pointing to some of the same quirks.

Everyday reloading at a rate of "8-seconds" per charge weighing (say 10, ymmv) is neither sane nor safe. It is strictly an interesting extreme and a "data point" to tuck away for the day you find yourself in "production mode". Then, break out the beam scale to use ALONGSIDE your electronic scale as the capability to throw 9 charges per minute is better than 3.

In all things reloading and shooting, be safe.

Last edited by land_owner; 06-23-2020 at 11:08 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 05:43 AM

My charge master is a godsend. I donít know how I managed without it.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Dumb, Dumber, Democrat
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 04:21 AM

ive got a pact set up I use all the time. I also have the lyman scale/dispenser. It seems like a good unit too but I don't use it very often because you have to let it warm up for 15 minutes before use and it kind of makes it a hastle. The lyman is slightly faster though. A dispenser/scale is one of those things like a 550 Dillon that I wouldn't be without. I don't know how many thousand rounds ive loaded using that pact but its LOTS. I cant imagine being without one. So much so that last summer I was realoading and the power went out. Rather then going back to a powder dump and a scale I started the generator up!

BLUE LIVES MATTER!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page