Does PP Help Keep Accuracy at Jacketed Velocities? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Default Does PP Help Keep Accuracy at Jacketed Velocities?

I've often read PP allows us to push cast bullets at jacketed velocities... but another theory says the rotational rate of the rifling, when it causes the bullet to spin above 140,000 rpm causes shotgun like patterns.

So who's right?

Or are both right? Does a PP somehow allow us to get past the rpm problem?

I'll admit, I can't see how, but I'm no expert, and haven't tried it yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Does PP Help Keep Accuracy at Jacketed Velocities?

The short answer - yes.

Even in rifles as difficult to work with as the '96 Mauser, PP allows me to equal military ball ammo ballistics.

I still don't know for sure why it works, but it does. Takes a while to learn how to get it to work well though. Makes for a fun hobby.

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 07:54 AM

Patching itself doesn't let you exceed 2,100 +/- fps, the alloy does. Linotype will allow faster velocities than will a pure or nearly pure lead bullet before it self destructs. Patching falls off as soon as the bullet leaves the barrel and serves two purposes, neither of which permits greater muzzle velocity.
1. Prevents the bullet from contacting the barrel, thus eliminating leading
2. Allows an undersized bullet to fit the barrel snugly which in turn, increases accuracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobade
The short answer - yes.

Even in rifles as difficult to work with as the '96 Mauser, PP allows me to equal military ball ammo ballistics.

I still don't know for sure why it works, but it does. Takes a while to learn how to get it to work well though. Makes for a fun hobby.
When you say... "Takes a while to learn how to get it to work well though.".... what are the relevent lessons?

What is it that one has to learn?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:00 PM

How to cut and apply patches, what all the dimensional relationships need to be, how to treat the cartridge cases, what powders work best, what paper to use, etc. There really is a lot more to getting it to work than there is with grease groove bullets, it took me years of practice before I could get reliable results. But it is well worth it if you are patient.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmason View Post
I've often read PP allows us to push cast bullets at jacketed velocities... but another theory says the rotational rate of the rifling, when it causes the bullet to spin above 140,000 rpm causes shotgun like patterns.

So who's right?

Or are both right? Does a PP somehow allow us to get past the rpm problem?

I'll admit, I can't see how, but I'm no expert, and haven't tried it yet.

Well first off, there is no rpm problem, never has been. There is an alloy problem when one wants to go jacketed speeds in standard gun barrels and fails to get accuracy with a cast lead alloy bullet. That rpm number someone yanked out of their rear only signifies the neighborhood of where things go from easy to a bit more difficult, that's it, that's all, nothing more.

Standard squeeze and grease cast bullets beat that rpm hypothesis bull excrement all the time. Some people just cannot get past cast bulletology 101 and then move on to cast bulletology 111, so they invent reasons/excuses for their failures instead of learning why they failed. The "big secret" to beating the rpm theory bs is nothing more than choosing the proper alloy for the requirements needed. THAT'S IT

What paper patching does is allow you to use an inferior alloy at higher speeds/pressures without going to a TOUGHER alloy. Notice I did not say softer/harder alloy in that sentence. You can have a hard and weak alloy and you can have a relatively soft yet tough alloy. The trick is knowing when to use what, and how to make said alloy, that's basically all there is to it.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED *****Not available in all areas.***** Void where prohibited by law. *****Many many many restrictions apply.*****

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page