any Load Data on Magtech brass and 410????? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Default any Load Data on Magtech brass and 410?????

I've looked and looked but can't find any reloading data on Magtech brass and the 410. Of course Hodgdon's and alliant's site has info for plastic, but no one has data. Called Hodgdon, nata. Called Magtech, nata. From what I've read: Large pistol primer, Powder(?), .430 shot card, 1/2 once shot wad F 410sc or 2 fiber wads one with oil one without, 1/2 ounce of shot, .450 shot card, glue. Does anyone have the info on the powder and amount???? http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ has a load data book but it only contains Black Powder recipes and only for 12, 20 and 16g. I thought this would be a great way to reload the 410 but lack of data stinks.
If anyone is interested a Lee reloader knock off: http://lane371.dotster.com/410.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 10:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 45-70.gov

things i would like to know too

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the history of mankind
free choice and equality can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any democrat voters ''they sat and watched them die''...they told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

+1 Interested also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
I've looked and looked but can't find any reloading data on Magtech brass and the 410. Of course Hodgdon's and alliant's site has info for plastic, but no one has data. Called Hodgdon, nata. Called Magtech, nata. From what I've read: Large pistol primer, Powder(?), .430 shot card, 1/2 once shot wad F 410sc or 2 fiber wads one with oil one without, 1/2 ounce of shot, .450 shot card, glue. Does anyone have the info on the powder and amount???? http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ has a load data book but it only contains Black Powder recipes and only for 12, 20 and 16g. I thought this would be a great way to reload the 410 but lack of data stinks.
If anyone is interested a Lee reloader knock off: http://lane371.dotster.com/410.html
I was told fire form 444 brass in 410 and that would work,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_225 View Post
+1 Interested also
I also found this data,
http://traditionalmuzzleloader.com/i...smoothbore-gun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 02:10 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

the 410's i've loaded were with a 1.0 lee dipper of 2400 powder.
it should work out to about 14 grains if the dipper is used correctly
as a dipper and not like like an ice cream scoop like those on yoofloob
try to use it

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Update. Got some 444 brass from a member here. Bought a punch set from harborfreight (the only one they have it has like five different punches in a pack) Bought some over the powder cards from track of the wolf (.430's) some 1/2 grain shot wads, strip of flet wad material from http://www.durofelt.com/products.html and a half galon milk carton. Punched out some wads and over the shot cards form felt and carton. Loaded up some #8 shot, #4 Buck shot and some 00 buck in the brass shells. Now Alliant gives the max load of 13 and 13.5g of 2400 so that is where I started( http://www.grantcunningham.com/2014/...10-shotshells/) CCI Large pistol primers, 13g 2400 and one .430 over the powder card. Next I tried either a SC410 wad or a Lubed Felt wad (with 60/40 mix of EVOO and beeswax) Now the buckshot has 45/45/10 Alox/paste wax Lube on it. Loaded two of each. All really under charged next time will bump up to 14 and 15g 2400. However, one of the buckshot w/ the sc410 wad had about a 3 inch spread with the three pellets of 00 buck at about 20 yards with a full choke. All partnered well/ the sc410 wads did better than the felt. Fun project and very cool to punch out the felt and the cards. Oh by the way no leading at all took about 5 minutes to clean up the gun with Hoppes. Let me know it you have any questions.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 04:08 PM

Gun Cabinet

I have loaded Magtech brass for my .410s (and my 12 and 16). The issue that i found that was a problem as far as I was concerned is that The standard .410 wads were too small for efficient sealing of the load. Magtech brass is drawn to size and the interior of the hulls is larger than the interior of modern plastic hulls. For my 12 gauge, i have to use 11 gauge wads and the 16 uses 14 ga. Components. .410s have the same problem. You really need custom wads to get the best seal.
The best advice given in the replies is the equal/equal load of shot and powder if you are using Magtech brass and BP (which is what the Magtech hulls are designed for).
If you want to use modern components, your best bet is to try to get some lathe turned hulls like those from Rocky Mt. Cartridge. Co. Those can be used very effectively with smokeless powders. Unfortunately, they are pricey at about $94 for 20 hulls. They will, however, last probably forever.
Pete
PS - did some measuring. Magtech .410 brass hulls interior diameter is .460”. Fourten wads are .410-.415”.
Modern Winchester plastic wads are .390” at the base.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer.
The readiness is all.
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games. Ernest Hemingway ...

Last edited by Darkgael; 09-21-2018 at 08:57 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:46 AM

Folks I use both Magtec and plastic hulls with little or no difference in powder..Now yes the brass because of the thinner wall need a slightly larger wad setup..BPI, Track of the wolf and Midsouth can supply them, just let them know you are loading brass. The wads are larger in diameter for brass. I shoot both round ball and 41 cal lubed bullets with no issues using a 38-55 die to put a crimp/taper on the brass, or Duco Cement (E6000 from Walmart) to put a tight seal on.
Lil Gun. 4227, 4756,4198 seem to work well for heavier loading.The 123 grain slug from BPI, I have loaded Blue dot, and 4756. Work your loads up a grain or more for your gun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page