"Instant Musket" - Graybeard Outdoors
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Unread 03-17-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Default "Instant Musket"

Hi All, tripped over this vid while browsing Youtube for black powder shotshell reloading methods.

I'm thinking it could work in any choke with round ball of correct diameter as well.

Your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Unread 03-19-2019, 07:07 PM

Primer pocket should not be that loose.

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Unread 03-21-2019, 06:32 AM

Gun Cabinet

Thanks for the video. I classify this kind of thing under the "good to know" heading. It is not something that I am going to do any time soon but, who knows, in a pinch someday.....
Related to this, you can buy a breech plug for a break open shotgun that will effectively convert the barrel into a MLer. Uses 209 primers. Need a ramrod though. These hulls avoid the ramrod.
Pete

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer.
The readiness is all.
“Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.” Ernest Hemingway ...

Last edited by Darkgael; 03-21-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Unread 03-21-2019, 03:13 PM

Primers should not basically fall in with little or no resistance.
Didn't appear very accurate.
It's been a long time since i've used pyrodex, but with BP, shotgun rds are normally by volume. The payload volume and powder volume are equal, or close to it. I don't think that scoop was equal volume to the slug. If not, it would be rather anemic. If that slug is hollow, just a piece of felt cloth is not sufficient. The hollow base represents an air gap, which creates a dangerous situation. An over powder wad at a minimum, but even that may cave in too easily. A cushion wad would work, but you'd want the over powder wad, as they typically disintegrate, and might leave parts of it in the bore.
And acrylic felt, melting in the bore from the heat. I bet cleaning is fun.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Unread Today, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
Primers should not basically fall in with little or no resistance.
Didn't appear very accurate.
It's been a long time since i've used pyrodex, but with BP, shotgun rds are normally by volume. The payload volume and powder volume are equal, or close to it. I don't think that scoop was equal volume to the slug. If not, it would be rather anemic. If that slug is hollow, just a piece of felt cloth is not sufficient. The hollow base represents an air gap, which creates a dangerous situation. An over powder wad at a minimum, but even that may cave in too easily. A cushion wad would work, but you'd want the over powder wad, as they typically disintegrate, and might leave parts of it in the bore.
And acrylic felt, melting in the bore from the heat. I bet cleaning is fun.
Yes, I found myself thinking... "I might what to use an over powder wad and cotton wadding" as I watched it.

To be honest though, I can see the merit in the basic idea (even if I might be inclined to try a round ball instead). Basically load a shotshell the exact same way you'd load a smooth bore muzzle loader and pop it in the chamber.

I was also thinking, if not using a cylinder bore... one might want to check for fit at the muzzle of a choked barrel. Having both a Pardner Pump Protector with cylinder bore and the hunting model with a choke tube (modified) I'd want to be safe in both.

The hunting model with a rifled choke seems to present an interesting possibility too.

That said, I also have two Pardner single shots with modified choke. Strikes me as the best choice really. Easier to single load single shots that to side single load the pump guns.

I was thinking it might be a fair way to test and use home made black powder in all honesty, as well as an easy way to make a few slug rounds when needed or desired. Given the weight of slugs and round balls of appropriate size, high velocity wouldn't be needed to get the job done. I'm thinking 1000 to 1200 fps would be plenty, and easily in reach of the usual 2 to 3 dram black powder weights that were used back in the day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in