209A vs. 209 Primers - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Default 209A vs. 209 Primers

I purchased some Federal 209A primers by mistake (didn't have my reading glasses with me). I was in the process of a 100 round reloading run when I noticed a difference in the appearance of the primers after seating. I looked at the box of primers and it stated in so many words not to use 209A primers in place of 209 primers. So I've got 75 rounds loaded with 209A's. I just want them to go bang at the trap range. Should I be concerned?

I've since went back and purchased CCI 209 primers and re-sorted my hopper. I might try to sell the remaining 209A's to somebody at the club that would use them.

That which does not kill me, makes for great campfire stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

As far as I can tell it's just a regular 209 size primer by Federal. Many of Federal's primers are a bit on the hot side when compared to CCI primers but the shotgun operates at such low pressures anyway I can't imagine it should matter.

Now loading manuals to spell out what primer and wad to use with given powder charges and it is best to use just what the load manuals specify. BUT I doubt there are many who use the precise recipe called for in the manuals.

If you are used to using CCI primers which have the smallest diameter of any of the 209 size primers you might, repeat MIGHT, stretch the pockets enough so that further use of CCI will see them falling out. But that applies equally to other brands as well and Federal doesn't have the largest diameter.

Were it me I'd use them and not worry but I'd not buy anymore of them. I prefer CCI primers as a first choice and Winchester as second choice whether for shotgun, handgun or rifle reloading.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
As far as I can tell it's just a regular 209 size primer by Federal. Many of Federal's primers are a bit on the hot side when compared to CCI primers but the shotgun operates at such low pressures anyway I can't imagine it should matter.
I agree. Shoot them without worrying, as long as the other components are the same.

"Endeavor to persevere..." Chief Dan George from The Outlaw Josie Wales
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! My 5th edition Lyman's shows a few loads for the 209A's. I'd just have to change powder to Blue Dot which I use for my handgun loads.

That which does not kill me, makes for great campfire stories.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page