brother in law bought a new honda side by side - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Default brother in law bought a new honda side by side

I forget the model but its Hondas latest offering . His is a 4 seater and that thing is huge. We put it along side my jeep wrangler and its 3 inches taller. Only 4 inches narrower and maybe a foot shorter. For the 15k he spent on it I think id rather have my jeep. At least I can drive the jeep on the road to get to camp where he has to trailer his. A guy can buy one heck of a nice wrangler for that kind of money

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:37 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet
Default Re: brother in law bought a new honda side by side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd
. . . . . A guy can buy one heck of a nice wrangler for that kind of money
and a trailer. and new tires. and spend some on refurb.

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 07:47 PM

I've often thought I wanted a sxs but can't for the life of me justify a need. Just looked at an 07 Wrangler with an LS3, Turbo 400 and an Atlas with 60s front and rear, new bead locks and new rubber. He's asking 14,900. Already driving a modded 14 JKUR so just how many toys can a guy use. My 02 Prairie 650 still runs like a top and does exactly what I want it to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 11:29 PM

There's NO WAY I could take a jeep where I go with my S&S. The jeep would just tear the ground up making huge mud holes that I don't want, plus it would get all beat up, even IF I tried it...

I use my S&S pretty much every day...

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 01:57 AM

Drilling Man, what kind of S&S do you have?? gypsyman

We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!! Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

don't know about the tearing up turf thing. Most atvs have a locked rear end and most jeeps don't. As to mud my old rzr did pretty good. Advantage was if you hit it hard youd about float over it. But once it sunk down the jeep would walk away from it with its bigger tires and more ground clearance. With 200hp and a ton more torque then an sxs has it will idle through things that you need to hit wide open to make it through with a side by side. As to day to day. I can hop in my jeep and go to the store. It serves as a 3rd vehicle when the car or truck are down and I don't have to trailer it to camp. I can hop in it and drive there in comfort with a good top, heat, ac and a radio. It can easily haul 4 people with the back seat in and hold more then any sxs in the back with the seat out. It may not have the snappy acceleration that the rzr had but it can cruise at 65 down the highway and the rzr if you did legalize it for the street would be wound tight at those speeds. A far more practical unit for me. Even if it wouldn't go exactly everywhere the side by side would Id gladly give up those once a year situations for the comfort and convience of the jeep. I told my wife one day after smacking into some trees trying to maneuver my club cab pickup in some tight woods that I was going to either by a jeep or a rzr. I bought the rzr about a week later for 14k and about a week later my neighbor who I told I was looking for a jeep told me about one for sale with 70k on it for 8 grand. The rzr basically sat unused for two years. In that two years I put exactly 360 miles on it and in the same period put 15k on the jeep. Sold the rzr to buy the wife a new car and don't miss it a bit. Im without an atv of any kind right now. Ill probably pick up a 4 wheeler used for camp but aint no way im paying over 10k for a side by side again when I can get a good jeep for less.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyman
Kubota 500 and it has a "manual" locking rear dif...

Maybe Lloyd doesn't know about jeeps up tearing up the turf more, but I do.....as I've already seen what they do, here on my place and I don't like the sod all tore up when the ground is soft. And going on the same trail over and over, does just that... I'm not into screaming through the brush, spinning the wheels "gliding over the mud", I'm more into NOT making the mud in the first place! Jeeps are too wide anyway, especially with big tires on them....

DM

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

tearing up the turf is more of an operator problem then what your driving. An idot that's spinning around in his jeep is going to do the same in an atv. I guarantee you its was much easier to spin the tires on my razor then it was my jeep and id bet even your Kubota will spin them if you nail it and I can guarantee you if you turned me loose with your Kubota I can tear up your yard in a few minutes. We have an extensive trail system here. In the winter its snowmobiles and atvs in the summer. Ive spent a lot of time on it in jeeps and atvs and what I see is just the opposite of your experience. the atvs and side by sides are tearing though the trails sliding around convers wide open and the jeeps I see are usually just putting along. Id bet that 80 percent of the jeeps I see up here are driven by old men and girls. Sounds like you have more of an idiot problem then a problem that can be blamed on a jeep

I don't know how wide your Kubota is but that Honda of my brother in laws is only 4 inches narrower then my jeep with 32 inch tires. With stock tires on a jeep I doubt if theres an inch difference. My rzr was a s model and it wasn't any narrower then the Honda. theres a Kubota on the farm I do crop damage shooting at. Its a tad smaller but still larger then most atvs. If I was concerned about getting into tight places I wouldn't take out a jeep or a side by side id take a standard atv and even some of the larger atvs are darned near as big as a side by side. One of my nephews has an 850 Polaris and my rzr would fit anywhere that huge thing would. I guess at least if I cant fit through the trail I can back up and just drive home with the heat or ac on and the radio playing and stop and pick up grocery's on the way. My days of looking for that big mud hole or picking my way through a mountain slope are long gone.

I like comfort. Maybe if I didn't have a camp and hunted out of my house and never planned on leaving my property, a side by side would be the ticket. But I found it was left home in favor of the jeep about 98 percent of the time. I don't recall even once when I had both where I was out in the woods and thought to myself I wish I would have taken the side by side instead. But everyone has different uses and what fits me might not fit you. As long as im physically capable of getting out in the woods ill have a jeep in the yard. I can jump in it and drive anywhere and hit the trails. Only one that misses the side by side is my dog. Most of the use I got out of it was running a 1/4 mile over to lake superior on a hot day to take him swimming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilling
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyman
Kubota 500 and it has a "manual" locking rear dif...

Maybe Lloyd doesn't know about jeeps up tearing up the turf more, but I do.....as I've already seen what they do, here on my place and I don't like the sod all tore up when the ground is soft. And going on the same trail over and over, does just that... I'm not into screaming through the brush, spinning the wheels "gliding over the mud", I'm more into NOT making the mud in the first place! Jeeps are too wide anyway, especially with big tires on them....

DM

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 09:51 AM

Well, as I already said... I've had a jeep here, so I'm NOT guessing on what I said about them compared to the Kubota I have. When I've used anything bigger/heavier than my Kubota, I ended up with my sod trails turning into mud, it has nothing to do with spinning the tires or sliding around.

My Kubota get's used every day, sometimes I run over the same part of a trail several times in one day, I don't just use my Kubota for hunting. I get in and out of the thing numerous times a day, it's just so easy to slide in or out of it, compared to getting into/out of a jeep......no comparison...

Buying this Kubota has been one of my all time best purchases!

DM

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd
If I was concerned about getting into tight places I wouldn't take out a jeep or a side by side id take a standard atv

This has been my consensus on things. My Prairie serves my needs when out and about but If I'm traveling farther or taking more folks or stuff the Jeep gets it done.

I don't buy into the sxs causing less damage. The small footprint added to the heavier weight compared to a 4 wheeler kind of make that not make sense. Even a jeep being much heavier spreads that weight over a much larger base. Around here, if you're going off-road, turf tires won't get you there. The lugs necessary to get you around off-road are going to shred your your yard no matter what you drive. The answer is to not go anyplace you don't want torn up.

Around here we don't have much for trails. Through the woods and out in the fields the key is to not retravel the same path. For the most part, we stick to the edges of the fields and avoid known soft spots. The woods get traveled randomly and you hardly ever see a sign of someone even being there before you. The creeks and streams are rock bottoms so as long as you avoid the holes or overly deep stretches, you couldn't do damage if you wanted to.

I do know that when the sxs craze first started we were retrieving them right and left stuck to the frame. A 3500# winch that would easily free a 4 wheeler was useless on a sxs and the sxs left big holes behind. The guys using a sxs now tend to limit their travels and leave the more inaccessible areas to the 4 wheelers.

My son has a couple Kubotas for his guys to use on the job but they get used for little more than transportation around the job site. DM I'm glad what you have works for you. Around here, if you don't want to leave a muddy trail behind you better stay on the pavement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page