My ATV upgrades 2 years later - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Default My ATV upgrades 2 years later

The Radiator/fan mod and removing one "fin" from the engine side cover panels has done the trick on my heat related problems. I use my ATV to mow the gas well road on property near the house I can hunt so low speeds under a load in high temps is the norm. If the fan is running when I stop I shut the engine off and then let the fan run until it shuts off. The gas boiling in the past was in my carb. I didn't go up one size jet. My mechanic advised against it. I did set the idle speed up a bit (not enough to cause shifting problems) and getting it started in cold temps is much easier. I needed a new battery so I got a Odyssey AGM battery and it has been well worth the money. I got a charger for it and have never needed it even after plowing snow and I keep it in an unheated building.

Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 08:41 PM

Default Re: My ATV upgrades 2 years later

Glad things have worked out for you. My old Prairie 650 is an 02 with a bit over 60,000 miles on it. Almost all the mods I made, and there were a bunch, were done within the first year and it's been nothing but used ever since. Most of the mods were performance oriented so it runs better than most and has proven to be more than reliable. Still looks better than most also.

I have only one question for you. Why would anyone not want to rejet? Especially on a ride that has a history of overheating. Every mod I made required a jet change. It was just a logical required adjustment.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 07:59 AM

dave we had an air cooled Polaris at work the overheated when ran hard and slow. The shop we bought it at found us a fan that bolted on the side of the machine and blew are across the cylinder. I know your water cooled but id be something like this would help your machine too. At least it would help circulate air across your carb and would keep it from boiling.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

The gas boiling has been fixed with the new radiator/fan. As for changing the jet I guess "if it works don't fix it". Once is cools down I put my Benz muffler silencer on it and that makes it run a bit richer.

Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
The gas boiling has been fixed with the new radiator/fan. As for changing the jet I guess "if it works don't fix it". Once is cools down I put my Benz muffler silencer on it and that makes it run a bit richer.

Ummm not exactly. The more restrictive exhaust will actually cause the engine to run hotter though. The only reason it may seem to run richer is due to the decrease in power output due to the exhaust restriction. It's not hard to determine rich or lean running but most mechanics (possibly yours) have no idea how to do it and it makes a huge difference in performance and longevity.

Your particular model was dealt a bad hand with design flaws that cause overheating from the get go. Glad you found a suitable work around.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

I meant to post once the ambient temps cool down I put the muffler silencer on. I run the Benz from Fall to early Spring.

--Albert Einstein

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page