blew my mind. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Default blew my mind.

Polaris my son in law gave me was having carb problems. Seems his oem carb was acting up a couple years ago and ebay (I KNOW) had Chinese knock of carbs brand new for not much more then the price of a rebuild kit for the oem carb so he bought one. It was leaking gas out the overflow running or not. Took it apart to put a new needle and seat in it and come to find out the seat was part of the casting and cant be replaced. Found out with some research that about everyone that buys those cheap carbs has that problem within a year or two. So I told him lets just rebuild the original. Well he looked and couldn't find it. Didn't remember what he did with it. So here the blowing of my mind. I went on like to look for a new oem carb for it and the cheapest I found was 600bucks!!! I can buy two brand new holley 4 barrels for the price of that little carb. He the bikes a 2008 and if a guy sold it he couldn't get much more then that for the whole bike. So we spent a good amount of a morning searching through his junk (Hes a mechanic and doesn't throw anything away) Well in one of his sheds we found it buried under a bunch of crap. Rebuilt it and its running great now. So the lesson here is if you have an old bike DONT buy a knockoff carb for it. Lesson two is DONT BUY A POLARIS. Ive had a side by side razor and two of there sportsman and they all have been a big headache. Have a Yamaha grizzly that's an 09 with 5k on it and all its seem is oil changes and one spark plug. I pride myself on buying American but Polaris just doesn't build the same quality bikes as the japs do. At least since my last new one in 09. Maybe they've improved but I wouldn't waste my money trying a new one out. Worse one was that razor. I think it was broke as much as it was running. Motor was toast after a 1000 miles because of a poor design in there air boxes that allowed sand ingestion. they rebuilt the motor but refused to do anything about the air box to prevent it from happening again. Mine was one of thousands that had the problem and Polaris told the dealers (mine told me this) to rebuild the motor if still under warrantee and by the time it happened again they would be off warrantee. 3 bad wheel bearings, a worn tie rod end, a blown shock, two broken rear axles and the Final straw was when the transmission took a crap at 2k and cost me 3000 bucks to have fixed. Cant imagine what one that a young kid was beating on would cost to keep on the trail! Brought it home that day and put it up for sale.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page