Graybeard Outdoors banner

are we having fun yet?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  charles p 
#1 ·
had a ball yesterday. Took the 4 wheeler and went and baited my bow blind. that went well but on the way home I decided to go and check on the gas pipe line about a 1/4 mile from home to see if any deer were migrating to the yards. Got about 500 yards down it and there was some open water. Been through it many times before and didn't give it a second thought. Hit it about 5mph and stopped dead. Hit the gas and sank in the mud right down to the seat! Obviously someone else had gotten buried in it since the last time i went through. Should have know better because I had just the day before pulled all the winch wiring apart to put a wireless remote in and got side tracked and didn't get it done. I pushed and shoved and couldn't move it an inch. I had a pos and neg batter wire and the pos and neg winch wires laying under front storage lid. Ever try leaning over the handlebars and hold two sets of wires together with one hand and use the other for the throttle? Then all I had to winch to was about a one inch tree. Well I somehow managed and lucky for me just as I popped out the tree pulled out of the ground. I was covered with mud up to my waste and my boots were full. Did I tell you im getting to old for this crap! ive got a 62 year old body and a 18 year old mind sometimes.

#2 ·
At least you had a electric winch. I remember winching my Ford F-150 4WD pickup out of the mire about 100 miles from the nearest paved road back in the Gila National Forest. I had plenty of heavy tow rope and some chain and a high lift jack. Took a while but I was much younger then and stronger.

#3 ·
Uh huh Lloyd we are the same age and I could see me doing the exact same thing.

I got my 750 grizzly buried in a bog one time with nothing to fasten a wench to. So I walked a mile to my sons house to retrieve my Durango. I drove my Durango as close as I thougt I dared and strung out all of the towe ropes and chains that I had and was still 20 feet short of reaching the strung out wench rope. So I backed the Durango up 20 more feet and busted through the inch or two of frost and went down to the axles. It took a big green tractor to get me out of that mess.

The funny thing is that just as I got to that bog I thought "this is a way bad idea". I went for it anyway. Smart enough to get a common sense warning but not smart enough to heed it........that'd be me! No coyotes in the traps I was trying to check either!

#4 ·
When we do dumb *** stuff at this age, we get called dumb *** old guy should of known better. when we were younger called the same just with out the old guy and defently with out the should of known better... Being stuck in the mud beats being stuck in the city wishing I was stuck in the mud again, It is a LONG trip to go play anymore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.