Mauser 98 375 H&H questions - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Default Mauser 98 375 H&H questions

You read so much and after awhile you dunno what to believe!

OK, will the the 375 H&H work in a large ring non-magnum mauser 98 action? Like a Brazilian 1908?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Mauser 98 375 H&H questions

I say no. (At least with a std K98 action)

BUT someone willing to cut, chop and weld would make one.

The magnum action is needed. Maybe for the RUGER 375 tho...

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 06:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to mcwoodduck

8 Mauser is about the same length as 30-06 in over all length,.
375H&H is a whole lot longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 10:12 PM

Yes,with lots of work.This is what Mauser used the standard 98 action.They did not build a magnum action in the old days.If you want one in the Mauser,look for a Interarms Mark Ten, built by Zastava in Yugoslavia.No longer imported by Interarms,but Still out there in the used market.I've had quite a few over the years,Still have one.Nice and trim compared to my overbuilt CZ.Well built and shoot rather nicely
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 04:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to mcwoodduck

Over All Length
8mm 3.17"/ 3.55"
375 H&H 3.6 (this is what the book says but it seems short. The 300 grain bullets I have are closer to 3.75 to 3.8" )
338 WM .330
450 marlin 2.2"
458WM 3.34
If you are looking for a big thumper for an action you own. Don't over look the 338 Win mag.
Had 450 Marlin come out a year earlier I would not have built a Siamese action 45-70 but would have made a 98 action 450 Marlin. It would have been cheaper and I would have had the stock I wanted instead of the stock they made.
You can also go 458 Win Mag but NOT the 458 Lott (needs Magnum action.)
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwoodduck
Over All Length
8mm 3.17"/ 3.55"
375 H&H 3.6 (this is what the book says but it seems short. The 300 grain bullets I have are closer to 3.75 to 3.8" )
338 WM .330
450 marlin 2.2"
458WM 3.34
If you are looking for a big thumper for an action you own. Don't over look the 338 Win mag.
Had 450 Marlin come out a year earlier I would not have built a Siamese action 45-70 but would have made a 98 action 450 Marlin. It would have been cheaper and I would have had the stock I wanted instead of the stock they made.
You can also go 458 Win Mag but NOT the 458 Lott (needs Magnum action.)
Yup loads of good calibers. Thats why I mentioned the 375 Ruger. Gets ya 375 preformance in a shorter action... but it is fat and may offer other problems for the 98 action...

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 06:06 PM

Technically, the proper length of a 375 H&H cartridge is 3.6, 30-06 goes 3.34, and 8x57, intended for most German made Mausers, is 3.228. You could probably stuff a 375 into a 30-06 action by taking another 10 thou off the case and using short bullets, but that is not really a 375 H&H anymore, and the case does not have a very long neck to begin with, so it might not grip the bullet right. In my experience, 30-06 length Interarms actions have a pretty generous mag box, but all Interarms are not the same. What you really want to avoid is an action that has had metal removed from the feed ramp area to accommodate a longer cartridge, since the action is now weakened and not safe.
Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The Mauser Bolt Actions, a shop manual", is absolutely essential for anyone fiddling around with Mausers. He cover all this and a lot more. I am NOT quoting him on whittling down the 375 to make it work - his advise is get a magnum action. Of course, boys will be boys, and sometimes you just gotta try something. I went through all this setting up a 30-06 length Interarms for 404 Jeffery, a cartridge that falls between standard and magnum length. Be aware that the Interarms action is a super-hard alloy that is very frustrating for someone with a hand file or rotary tool, not at all like the gun steel of the early or mid 20th Century, so you should find a 7 Mag, 300 Mag or anything else that already feeds the belted case.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser98us
Yes,with lots of work.This is what Mauser used the standard 98 action.They did not build a magnum action in the old days.If you want one in the Mauser,look for a Interarms Mark Ten, built by Zastava in Yugoslavia.No longer imported by Interarms,but Still out there in the used market.I've had quite a few over the years,Still have one.Nice and trim compared to my overbuilt CZ.Well built and shoot rather nicely

That is incorrect !!

Mauser Obendorf certianly made magnum length actions many of which had integral scope bases. They made them especially for Rigby of London for one thing and quite a few British Gunmakers acquired them and built superb Big game rifles on these Magnum Mauser actions. Gibbs of Bristol, Westley Richards, Boss, Jeffries,Holland & Holland plus of course Rigby for cartridges like the 505 Gibbs, 425 Westley Richards, 404 Jeffries, 416 Rigby to mention just a few.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 09:02 AM

Mauser Obendorf certianly made magnum length actions many of which had integral scope bases.

True, and they were/are very expensive! Years ago I had my local smith ( a very talented man) open up (he read up on just how to do it safely) and customize a military Mauser 98 action for the 404 Jeffry. It took a lot of work, yes, but it ended up a fine rifle. Unfortunately, while the rifle was being made , I bought a custom Mauser 98 ( made the same way from my smith;s friend) in 458 Lott, never got a chance to fire it as I had a tear develop in my left retina ( non recoil related, ha) and after a year ( all of 2002) of four different repairs/procedures I stopped using the heavy kickers. I now use a braked Mod 700 Classic 35 Whelen reamed out to the Ackley Improved, which is a real killer itself) But no more bonafide 'elephant guns for me", Bummer, but yes, the old Mauser 98 can be used for the 375 and others. Although, with the 375 Ruger available now it makes more "sense" but it doesn't have the nostalgia, ha. Look on Gunbroker, they have an Interarms Whitworth Express that is a wonderful DGR. I've owned three through the years ( left my last one in South Africa for my friend) 2 375s, 1 458WM. Excellent rifles. CZs are nice, but a tad heavier than the Whitworth. Good luck to you Pard!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page