Good western Fiction. - Graybeard Outdoors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 7,572
Send a message via Yahoo to billy_56081
Default Good western Fiction.

I have pretty much read all the La Moore books, any suggestions for authors that are as colorful and entertaining.

99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.
billy_56081 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 642
Default Re: Good western Fiction.

Ive read the mountainman series but my suggestion is just start over on L.L.'s books
squirrellluck is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 7,572
Send a message via Yahoo to billy_56081
Default Re: Good western Fiction.

The mountain man series is a good one, I enjoy but am not as enamored with the Johnstone books that are coming out now. I think they are unfinished books that his son finished after his death.

99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.
billy_56081 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Frisco, NC
Posts: 3,398
Default Re: Good western Fiction.

Larry McMurtry has written a few. He had a four book series that was released about five years ago that I enjoyed. I think book #1 was The Sin Killer. You need to read all four. Dead Man Walking, Streets of Laredo, Lonesome Dove - just to name some more. Sometimes he has some unexpected turns that are a little over the top - but that is his trademark I suppose. He even wrote a biography of Crazy Horse.
charles p is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,874
Default Re: Good western Fiction.

Billy, I haven't read that much fiction about the old west... It is a time that is my favorite to study... Mostly I have tried to dig into biographical works on those old characters... I n a way it is more fascinating that any fiction that can be written... I just this summer my girl friend bought me The Avenging Fury of the Plains.. It is new bio. on Liver Eating Johnson. I found it awesome... But he has always interested me... I attended his reburial at Cody.. Doc. Holiday was another one who caught my interest, plus many others... One book I truely enjoy was Men to Match My Mountains...It is a book of two to maybe five page sketches of men and women who lived in the backcountry of Wyoming from roughly 1900-1990. Gave my Dad a copy for Christmas.. He loved it and is not much of a hunter....Tom Horn was another interesting character.
Wyo. Coyote Hunter is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 7,572
Send a message via Yahoo to billy_56081
Default Re: Good western Fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles
Larry McMurtry has written a few. He had a four book series that was released about five years ago that I enjoyed. I think book #1 was The Sin Killer. You need to read all four. Dead Man Walking, Streets of Laredo, Lonesome Dove - just to name some more. Sometimes he has some unexpected turns that are a little over the top - but that is his trademark I suppose. He even wrote a biography of Crazy Horse.

I'm reading Lonesome dove at this time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo.
Billy, I haven't read that much fiction about the old west... It is a time that is my favorite to study... Mostly I have tried to dig into biographical works on those old characters... I n a way it is more fascinating that any fiction that can be written... I just this summer my girl friend bought me The Avenging Fury of the Plains.. It is new bio. on Liver Eating Johnson. I found it awesome... But he has always interested me... I attended his reburial at Cody.. Doc. Holiday was another one who caught my interest, plus many others... One book I truely enjoy was Men to Match My Mountains...It is a book of two to maybe five page sketches of men and women who lived in the backcountry of Wyoming from roughly 1900-1990. Gave my Dad a copy for Christmas.. He loved it and is not much of a hunter....Tom Horn was another interesting character.

The Journal of Lewis and Clark was a very good read. WOW thet had to be some experience.

99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.
billy_56081 is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Frisco, NC
Posts: 3,398
Default Re: Good western Fiction.

+1 on the Lewis and Clark Journals. My wife gave me a seven volume box set - probably 2500 pages. Took me about two months to get through it all. Enjoyed the footnotes as much as the entries. Published by Univ of Nebraska I think.
charles p is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE New Mexico
Posts: 5,205
Default Re: Good western Fiction.

Elmer Kelton is, to me, the top of the heap when it comes to western fiction. I have read most of Louis L'Amour's books and he was excellent, especially the Sackett series. In my opinion Kelton was slightly better. Kelton died a month or two ago.
oldandslow is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 7,572
Send a message via Yahoo to billy_56081
Default Re: Good western Fiction.

Thank you I think I have read some of Elmers books, I'll look them up in the library
.

99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.
billy_56081 is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,116
Default Re: Good western Fiction.

Ralph Compton's cattle drive series of books are pretty darned good. Some of the newer titles are written by other authers and have his name attached. Since he passed away a few years ago I'm pretty sure he wasn't involved in those. I've read some of those and they aren't bad mind you, just seems odd to me.

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
Empty Quiver is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome