A recommendation of historical fiction - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 AM

Default Re: A recommendation of historical fiction

Anduril has read Innocents Abroad too. It's been a long time since I laughed so hard at such good humor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 12:31 PM

Default Re: A recommendation of historical fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock
Master & Commander A great introduction to the series. The main Characters of the series meet and become life long friends. Very good book. It lead directly to my acquiring other books in the series.
Was that the book that led to the movie Master and Commander, the far side of the World? Great movie BTW.

Too soon old . . . Too late smart.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsatian View Post
I like reading historical novels by Jean Larteguy, a French man who wrote about the French Indochinese war (our Vietnam, but the French were driven out by severe defeat at Dien Bien Phu in NW Vietnam in 1954) and the Algerian war of independence. There is VERY much in these books that bears on our current engagements in the middle east. Two excellent books are "The Centurions" and "The Praetorians." I've also got another book by him named "Yellow Fever" about Saigon and Hanoi. The "Yellow Fever" refers to a fondness for the orient and/or oriental women that some French soldiers developed during their assignments in Indochina.

I've been looking for Jean Larteguy's books in the local libraries. They aren't available, wish they were.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:14 AM

The only fiction that I read is James Michener

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:27 AM

Michener's books are almost like reading/living thru historical times. Fantastic author, one who is sorely missed.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:44 AM

bugeye - I devour books, if you tell me what genre, or historical period, your interested. I can recommend authors that are at least up to par with Michener. Although, they won't have the same fantastic detail as Michener's books regarding the land. Either The Covenant (about South Africa), or Poland was the last one I read. It's been a while.

post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolRanger View Post
bugeye - I devour books, if you tell me what genre, or historical period, your interested. I can recommend authors that are at least up to par with Michener. Although, they won't have the same fantastic detail as Michener's books regarding the land. Either The Covenant (about South Africa), or Poland was the last one I read. It's been a while.
My main interest is the OLD northwest, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc.
I have hundreds of books on that, only a few with nothing copied from other books.
Plus,Hundreds more on hunting in Africa in the 1800's, not to mention old sailing stories, whaling, etc.
So, I doubt if I ever buy another book because I have a lot that I haven't read yet.
But thanks anyway.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page