What knife do you carry or EDC - Page 13 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:08 PM

I guess my EDC would be my el cheapo Chinese made lock back stainless. It's not my best knife, but it does the job, and I can open it with one hand and abuse it if need be. I usually tune it up every couple of weeks if needed.If going to town with dress pants on, I take a small Uncle Henry three blade knife. American made.In the woods I carry a hand forged knife my Son and I make, or a Carbon steel Mora. I cold blue all my carbon steel blades to slow down rusting in the field.

Oh! I always have a Swiss Army knife close by, and carry it when shooting. I don't like the feel of a Leatherman in my pocket, but usually have one or one similar in my pack or range bag.

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 09:36 PM

A couple Case slimline trappers and sodbusters. A mini-griptilian, which gets the most work, and my latest, a 3551BK. A 477-1 is next up.
post #123 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 10:45 PM

Smaller Benchmade Mel Pardue Mini Griptilianwith blade just under 3" for EDC. Sometimes a similar sized Spyderco with plain blade. Don't care for serrations for EDC, but they are handy for cutting heavy rope. Local knife vendor told me he sold a lot of serrated Spydercos to bronc and bull riders because they were easy to open with one hand and made quick work of girths and stirrup leathers when hung up.
I keep a fully serrated Spyderco in my boat box in case we get tangled in a commercial fishing net or have anchor/anchor line issues and have to move in a hurry. Brierpatch would not regret getting a Spyderco.

I carried a three blade Buck for decades as well as a Victorinox with two blades, screwdriver, can opener, awl and lace hook. In my experience, Swiss pocket knife steel is as not hard as Buck/Spyderco/Benchmade but is easy to sharpen...OK for occasional light use.

The problem with carrying a nice knife these days is the increasing number of facilities which regard larger pocket knives as weapons...courthouses, sports arenas, football stadiums. I lost my 3 blade Buck getting to a Red Wings game minutes before faceoff and security gave me the choice of taking it back to the car(a long way) or dropping it the handy barrel next to the gate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Dee

Eye Brand sodbuster design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171015_111549_1510591950892.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	804.9 KB
ID:	186706  

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #125 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 03:16 PM

Past year or so its been a BUCK 845. Its a nice size and find it nice BUCK quality.

https://www.buckknives.com/product/v...ife/0845BKS-B/

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #126 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 06:49 PM

A little Buck lockback with a black plastic handle. Can't read the number. Looks like 4200. Sharpen it on a steel and it stays razor sharp.
post #127 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 07:08 PM

This has been my EDC for the last year or so. I use it daily for various tasks, Victorinox non serrated trekker:

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #128 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 08:25 PM

I had a Buck General on my belt for many years.Sure itís to large for most tasks,but if any one was looking to see if I was worth bothering they saw that knife and looked away and never saw my gun.Now days I still carry a good hunting knife on my belt and 1 or2 pocket knives matched to my plans for the day.Every day fire arms may change with the seasons or the location but 2 things go on my person when I get dressed
no mater what the days plan a NAA Pug and a good fixed blade knife thats razor sharp.

LeverAction/SingleAction and LongBow.

I have a ROKON I can always get there from here
post #129 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
I see most here are very practical and carry a tool for about any problem.
I might get a spyderco endura and try that. Never owned a spyderco. Anybody carry one?
I've carried two S30V Natives for ~10 years at work. I carried a G10 Delica for ~15 years prior to that. They are fine blades.

I just started carrying a D2 Komoran on my time.
post #130 of 130 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 07:21 AM

Having dealt in cutlery in a small, person to person way for some years, I have gathered a small collection which I go to every so often, according to my needs, be they work or dress occasions. Some I se aside new, some are trade-ins from years back. See photo below..
I recently tried the pocket clip type and really liked it, but then found that the hem of my jacket would sometimes catch the clip and pull th eknife from my pocket..OK if I find the knife right away..but not good if I lose it.

I too, prefer carbon blades..Opinel for instance, has outstanding carbon steel..of course, they have stainless too. One Chinese line which I have found to be decent is the "Rough rider" series which are carried by Frost and I think, SMKW.

I may go to sheath carry for the larger Stockman knives, such as the Buck Creek yellow handle at the top of the photo, or the AG Russell "Woods Walker", the only straight knife in the photo.
I may even get one of those Svord, peasant knives..forged in New Zealand, and of high carbon and of tough but simple design.
https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s...nives&cat=svo&
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1122.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	963.1 KB
ID:	190122  

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page