Most popular knife brand - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Case is prolly the best known and most widely collected brand of knives. I like Bear and Sons cutlery knives. They are made less than ten miles from my home here.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 02:27 PM

For reasons of quality, near home and friendships..I have to stick with Ontario. http://ontarioknife.com/

… Bob, my fellow elder at church runs the company. They have been involved with the military for many years, and the military runs it's own tests on, and rate everything they buy. Not just knives but everything.
It is a cause for celebration if any supplier achieves a 100% score... last I checked, Ontario has achieved 100% three times.

Ontario is abut 4 miles from my house.. KaBar is about 25 miles from my house and Case just a bit further.

When I want a custom...I make it myself.

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 10:24 AM

So far as folders are concerned, I have a couple plastic 'cigar box' sized containers of folding knives, one box for smaller sizes the other for larger folders.

I have usually switched every few days, carrying different folders.

Some time ago I stopped by Wally world and picked up this small paraframe Gerber, which I find myself carrying quite regularly. It is 3" closed and cost some less than $8.

It has a pocket clip, but I don't use that, since I am inclined to catch my sleeve cuffs on the clip, lifting out and losing such a knife.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gerber.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	219222  

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 11:16 AM

Gun Cabinet

Case, Ontario, Buck, Schrade......during any given month, I will carry and use at least one knife from each of those companies. Truth be told, I am sure that I carry a Buck 110 more than the others. At home, in the kitchen, I have three or four Opinel folders that are in constant use.
Pete

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer.
The readiness is all.
“Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.” Ernest Hemingway ...
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 02:02 PM

Hard to fault those carbon steel Opinels for keenness of edge.

post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 03:05 PM

Gun Cabinet

I have a case bull dog original in the original black walnut box we sold them for 9.50 at the shop when they came out the originals had real stag handles then they went to deer or elk the originals to a case collector in mint condition are bringing 350.00 and up now
I also have a Schrade single lock blade that has the brass lock that you have to push to the side to unlock blade it is well over 50 yrs old.
Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:57 PM

Until I bought the Blackjack from a member on this forum, my favorite is a Ka-Bar USMC. I figured that since the Marines have used them since their 1942(?) introduction, they would have changed the design if there was a fault in the design. A few years ago I slid/jumped off of a flatbed pickup, hanging up on my knife. At 5'10 240, it bent the blade and opened up the leather sheath rivet. Put the knife into the stake hole and bent it back, been using it since! I do have to say that opening the box on that Black Jack was like opening a long-awaited present though. Fit and finish are just amazing.
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingger View Post
Until I bought the Blackjack from a member on this forum, my favorite is a Ka-Bar USMC. I figured that since the Marines have used them since their 1942(?) introduction, they would have changed the design if there was a fault in the design. A few years ago I slid/jumped off of a flatbed pickup, hanging up on my knife. At 5'10 240, it bent the blade and opened up the leather sheath rivet. Put the knife into the stake hole and bent it back, been using it since! I do have to say that opening the box on that Black Jack was like opening a long-awaited present though. Fit and finish are just amazing.
That same Marine fighting knife is made by Ontario now. Although the other branches use various brands, the Marines use Ontario exclusively.

An interesting sidelight or two;

As I said above, Bob Breton, who runs Ontario is a fellow elder with me at our church. While my grandson was home on leave before his first deployment to Iraq in 2005, as a Marine special operator, we went down to see Bob at work. After a tour of the works, Bob showed us the newest military knife at the time, it was called the ASEK knife..made for emergency exit from an aircraft (Aircraft Survival and Egress Knife)) is made to cut one's way out of a downed aircraft, as well as a survival knife thereafter. Bob then presented Josh with one of them.. This knife had not yet been issued to troops at that time..so Josh was the first one to carry the ASEK into combat.
Bob's son Joe, was serving with the Air force at that time , in Iraq or Afghanistan.
That ASEK, smaller than a bayonet or fighting knife, would make a first rate survival or "bush crafter's" knife.. It is incredibly rugged

Here's the ASEK: https://www.knivesplus.com/ontario-a...e-qn-asek.html

Last edited by ironglow; 04-29-2019 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Correct an omission
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:00 AM

IG- Thank you for the update and sharing that story. It is the depth of knowledge and sharing that members on this site do that really separates it from the others and contributes to a positive environment in a sadly hostile world. That knife (ASEK) is well built for any foreseeable situation!
Z
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:19 AM

I live in marble knife country. the factory was here before it moved to tx and they started importing everything. even met the jerkwad new owner once. He was at the range and saw I was shooting cast and asked where I bought them. I told him I did them myself. He asked if I would sell some. told him id trade him for a knife. I brought him 6 coffee cans of 45 acp bullets ready to go. Took me over a year to shame him into giving me the knife. I used to have a collection of marble knives. Only one I have left is the one the wife gave me on the first birthday we were together. The new ones are NOT the same quality.

Rapid river knife company and bark river knife company are both companys started by knife makers that worked at marble and walked away when they saw the direction the company was going. Both make darned good knives. As good as the best marbles back in the day. Both are stand up guys.

Ive got quite a few rapid river and bark river knives. But I have two randalls, well one as I gave one to my son. Those two knives are fantastic knives. Best I own and I even have a few from custom knife makers that are no better. But I guess I kind of look at it like I do ar15s. Randalls are great but for what one costs I can buy 4 or 5 bark river knives and they do the exact same thing. The randalls are rarely even used because im afraid id loose one in the field or break it. I can get a dammed good bark river knife for under a 150 bucks and if I loose it I can run to there store and buy another. If I break it they replace it no questions asked. Once in a while I go to bark river and rapid river knives just to have a factory edge put back on them. they both will even it for me to knives that they don't even sell. I guess they know that most times I walk out with something new anyway.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page