Most popular knife brand - Page 6 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Quiver View Post
Itís seen use on at least 20 deer and halvesies on 5 elk. Itís just a bit short for elk.

Your correct about the steel itís got some staying power.

I bought it shortly after I got married, Ď86 maybe. On sale it was expensive for us, I felt a bit guilty at the time. Probably $2 a year by now. Iíve treated it like a baby because of that I guess. Iíve only really known what I had for 5 years or so.

Iíd certainly like itís big brother when I lay into an elk.
Now you know why I have a longer one too!

I carried that one for moose and used it for back up and a camp knife when hunting everything else.

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:11 AM

Hi there! Do you know a more hobbyist-orienred knife community? I need some advice in choosing a personal knife for myself, it will be used both as practical tool and a prop in a historical reconstruction. So I am looking for something a bit more traditional. I found the option of ordering custom knives here, they seem good: https://noblie.eu/product-categories/knives/ What would you recommend in this case? Have you ever ordered a custom made knife for both practical and aesthetic purpose?
post #53 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:43 AM

bark river knives and bark river knives. Both companys started by knife makers who worked for marble and went on there own when marble left and went to texas and started importing there knives instead of making them. I had a few dealings with there new owner and they are crooks. Good thing is both of these company make better knives then marble did even in there golden years. All that said the knife im most proud of is my randall. Is it better then the other two? Nope but its a randall and you are never going to loose money on a randall. Ive got a few customs too that are real nice. two of them Damascus that are beautiful but I don't really consider them working knives. Gutting deer?? I do a whole bunch of that every year during crop damage season and I usually buy one of those black mica handled bucks. Use it till I loose it. Gutting deer in the tall grass in the field tends to loose knives (should paint them yellow) Don't really loose them where I cant find them. Just forget to pick them up. Lost 2 bark river knives and told myself for that purpose cheap is better. I don't care for marbles anymore because I think there sell outs and I sold all of my marbles (used to collect them) except for one my wife bought me at a gun show when we were dating. I use that one every regular deer season.. All that said if you want a good quality rugged no nonsense knife look no farther then bark river knife company.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 04-29-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:18 AM

For those who desire custom knives, there are some very high grade knives being made in Titusville, PA....population just over 5,000 and site of Americas first drilled oil well.

A lot of well trained cutlers for that small town! The knives are not cheap...but they are beautifully made..and they are not afraid of carbon steel..

http://www.greateasterncutlery.com/

https://www.knifecountryusa.com/stor...nd-knives.html

...But of course, I am partial to Ontario (Franklinville, NY pop..2900) because of quality and personal ties.. I have several friends who work there.

http://ontarioknife.com/

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)

Last edited by ironglow; 04-29-2019 at 06:27 AM.
post #55 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:44 AM

Keep in mind, one can make their own "custom" knife. Many a nice Nessmuk has been made from a Green River or Ontario skinner knife.

All one needs is a small belt grinder or even an angle grinder..which many of us already have. Just remember to keep a can of cooling water nearby, and use it often.

There are plenty of good, brand name knives to be had at garage sales.. If for instance, the point is broken off You can probably get it for a quarter, and you will likely shorten it anyway.

Imagine.. with a bit of work..a nice "custom" knife from a 25 cent castoff ! Lets see some photos, if you do it ..

Here is a video which shows how to make a Kephart bushcraft knife from an Ontario.

Smoothing the handle..taking sharp corners off, also adds to the usefulness.

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)

Last edited by ironglow; 04-29-2019 at 06:52 AM.
post #56 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:00 AM

Why did you have to post that video? Now I am going to be looking for old knives to fix up. Found a Ginzu steak knife in the road a few years back. Ground off the serrations with a HF angle grinder and sharpened up on the Arkansas stone. Now it is one of my most useful knives in the kitchen.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #57 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamnelson View Post
After buying about every brand they sell in a blister pack at the BX, I settled in on Buck. The Vantage Pro S30V was my do-all pocket knife for a good while. Until I tried making my own and learned a little about steel. Now I like SpyderCo, they really offer a lot of different steel options ... Pacific Salt H1 SE DLC is my daily carry now. Salt water, high humidity, etc. no problem. Use it for everything I used the Buck, plus everything else ... including scuba diving.

Friend in college clued me into Spyderco back in about 1997. Started with a Delica with half serrations. Didn't really like the serrations and wanted an all steel one. Bought a Delica II and have been carrying it for 20 years. Another friend clued me into a Ganzo knife a few months back. Bought a Firebird F759M which is dang near identical to a Spyderco. Found them on sale for 8.99 and ordered 2 (although, took a month to get here, but price was right). I have been carrying one for about a month now and love it. Ordered 5 more for gifts and a friend. I would say it is just as good as a Spyderco. Has a 440C blade which so far seems to hold an edge well, and not hard to sharpen. If I lose it, or have to toss it, I haven't lost much, I can just get out another one. I put the Spydercos in the safe for now.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #58 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:11 AM

Ironglow,

When you stain the handle on a knife, do you put some sort of finish over that to seal in the stain? Maybe a satin clear coat?

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #59 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:46 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Back in the 70's my dad worked in the heat treat department at the Oliver tractor factory in Charles City, Iowa! He saved many of the power hacksaw blades for me to grind into knives. They were mostly all the same drop point design of different sizes. They were not works of art but we butchered our own meat and everyone liked them. Once I got the knife shaped like I wanted Dad would retemper them and drill the pin holes at the factory. I used 9 gauge copper wire for pins and most of the handles were red elm. I think that I am the only one in the family that doesn still have one.

I have a little 2 blade Case knife that I carry in my pocket on a daily basis. My squirrel skinning knife is a Puma folder that I bought when I was working on a farm in HS. I paid $50 for it way back then. It has also skinned a lot of raccoons and several deer. It has lost 1/4 of it's blade from sharpening but it will last till I'm dead. My tool pouch at work has a Barlow and a Marbles knife hanging on it. The Barlow has ugly marks on the back of the blade where I sometimes beat on it with my number 9 pliers when cutting who knows what.

My grandsons all have little pocket knives because grandpa does. They have to ask permission to open them and they all know about cutting away from yourself! They have about murdered our Lilac bush from whittling bows and arrows from the straight green sticks. So be it!
post #60 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:30 AM

A wonderful post, lots of great memories and current events that bring joy!
I, too, have friends that worked at Oliver, those were great times and good jobs.
I still have a power hacksaw blade if you feel inspired to teach the grand ones how to make a blade, free to your worthy cause.
best wishes

Come quickly, Lord Jesus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page