A favorite was found - Graybeard Outdoors
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bugeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Morrow Ga.
Posts: 17,882
Default A favorite was found

Some years ago my favorite pocket knife vanished (barlow kutmaster) and I thought I'd never see it again.
But I decided to clean out my tackle box and get rid of the dozens of spools of mono that had been there for years along with other accumulated junk, and there was my old barlow.
Here's a picture of the kutmaster
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/230387337168946667/

Mine has been sharpened many more times than the one pictured so my blade profile is a little different.
When found, the large blade was still shaving sharp, and a few strokes on the diamond sticks put the edge back on the little one.
This knife has done it all over the years. skinning rabbits and squirrels, opening tin cans, whittling, and cleaning fingernails etc.
It feels good back in my pocket.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
bugeye is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
ironglow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: rural southwestern N.Y. State
Posts: 39,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
Some years ago my favorite pocket knife vanished (barlow kutmaster) and I thought I'd never see it again.
But I decided to clean out my tackle box and get rid of the dozens of spools of mono that had been there for years along with other accumulated junk, and there was my old barlow.
Here's a picture of the kutmaster
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/230387337168946667/

Mine has been sharpened many more times than the one pictured so my blade profile is a little different.
When found, the large blade was still shaving sharp, and a few strokes on the diamond sticks put the edge back on the little one.
This knife has done it all over the years. skinning rabbits and squirrels, opening tin cans, whittling, and cleaning fingernails etc.
It feels good back in my pocket.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Barlow is a very handy pattern to use...but a tough one to carry in the pocket. Utica Kutmaster still makes them..and I believe one can still get one in carbon steel..

Still available in carbon steel..scroll down to Catskill model;

http://www.knifesupply.com/utica-cutlery-co.html

.

.

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)

Last edited by ironglow; 05-09-2019 at 12:53 PM.
ironglow is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Ranger99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Posts: 12,284
Gun Cabinet
Default

nice

i've sold off a lot of my "good" knives, and
went back to a few that were less than $20.00
or some that probably sold for $3.00-$5.00 new
back in the "olden" days.
from my unprofessional experience, a knife (any knife)
will either resharpen and hold an edge easily or it won't
no matter what it costs. some of my "good" ones i had
could be resharpened with much difficulty, which isn't
worth 2 cents to me. if i can't sharpen it with a common
norton whetstone in a few minutes, it's useless to me.

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.
Ranger99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bugeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Morrow Ga.
Posts: 17,882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Barlow is a very handy pattern to use...but a tough one to carry in the pocket. Utica Kutmaster still makes them..and I believe one can still get one in carbon steel..

Still available in carbon steel..scroll down to Catskill model;

http://www.knifesupply.com/utica-cutlery-co.html

.

.
You're right, carbon steel still available.
I'm too old to need a new knife but would be tempted to buy one if younger.
In the meantime, I'm glad I found my old friend.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
bugeye is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Senior Member
 
ironglow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: rural southwestern N.Y. State
Posts: 39,357
Default

I'm a carbon steel fan...for sure.

.

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)
ironglow is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
You're right, carbon steel still available.
I'm too old to need a new knife but would be tempted to buy one if younger.
In the meantime, I'm glad I found my old friend.

GOD works in mysterious ways. Im happy for you as well Bugeye, hope the memories keep on coming.
The Old Man is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome