i got to looking through some of my boxes and found a few of these
older imperial knives i had bought and used back in the 70's (not sure
exactly when)
i know it was a pretty long time ago because i'm sure where i bought these
at and that i didn't have anything to drive back then, and wasn't old enough
to have a driver's license then, so i couldn't have spent too awful much
to buy them.
they're all still razor sharp, and the one with the light colored scales
(white when new) and the trapper got used pretty hard.
the others are still new although tarnished from sitting in a box for
many years. they're as sharp and usable as many of the newer knives
these days i've seen and used, although they couldn't have cost maybe
$5.00 or so each, probably less. ( i didn't have much money then)

See less See more
#2 ·
well i had some photos to post, and the stupid
forum won't let me add them or edit to try and add
them.
these pop up ads and video ads need to be fixed so
that stupid people like me can use the forum.
it won't proceed on my end until everything is loaded

#3 ·
When I was a kid the five and dime stores and sporting goods stores all had a display of Imperial pocket knives. The old metal shell handles with crimped on construction, but nice thin carbon steel blasts that actually cut pretty good and were easy to hone up on a stone.

It seems like every kid in the neighborhood had an Imperial of some sort as the 'first' knife. Kind of a right of passage.

Then I got into Swiss Army knives by Victorinox, and the habit is still going to this day.

#4 ·
delete

#8 ·
when i had a computer at home, i did just exactly that and it worked great.
however, here at the library on their computers, you can't add any kind of
programs or downloads. the whole time i'm on GBO there are small messages
in the lower left corner having to do with the ads. "waiting for proxy tunnel. ."
". . .something-something pubmatic. . ." . ." something-something adserv. ." etc.

also, the time is limited here as to how long you're able to be on their computers,
so there's not much time to view posts or post replies if any, etc.
i understand the necessity for the ads, and can put up with them if they'd only
load quickly and not interfere with normal forum "stuff".
it's not the computers because on other forums i visit everything clicks along just dandy

oh well

#6 ·
When I worked in a large sporting goods store in San Pablo California back in the late fifties up until early seventies we had a display case on the gun counter with Imperial knives $1.29 which include pocket knives as well as one 4 inch blade hunting knife with leather belt case. Guys would come in and say have you got any Buck knives, I would say no but we have some for a buck twenty nine always got a laugh. We were also Case knife as well as western dealers. Back in those days the Case Bull Dog with real stag horn grips and a black walnut case was $9.50 today that knife as new with case brings from around $300 to $450 to a collector I have one that was given to me by the Case knife sales rep for the west coast he mentioned at that time it would be a real hot item and it was and still is.

Deaconllb

#7 ·
My old Barlow don't look too pretty next to a modern knife. But it cuts as good as a pretty one. :)

My first knife was a Barlow from my Dad when he bought a new one.

#9 · (Edited)
I had a folding Imperial and it was garbage, I could never get a good edge on it.
Then I found a fixed blade Imperial, and it is very sharp; and I could not believe the difference.
It is easy to get an edge onto, and it keeps it. I paid $3 for it at a flea market, with a leather sheath.

#10 · (Edited)
Those old Imperials with carbon steel blades can be good knives. I worked for quite a few years, building farm silos. I carried a 3 & 1/4" Imperial stockman in my pocket, and used it to open cement bags, cut ropes and sundry other things. the thin plastic wrap that supposed to represent cracked ice, was gone for years.

Later I went to work at a fortune 500 company, and I had that knife in my tool box..and even scribed my name on the main blade. Can you imagine..that knife was filched out of my tool box?

right now, I have a 4" Imperial stockman on the lamp stand beside me. It has cracked ice also, but this one has full scales, rather than a thin wrap..

Imperial went to Ireland for a time, and made black composite handles with SS blades. I doubt they are still there.

#11 ·
I have fond memories walking through a local hardware store with my dad back in the 60's. The owner always had Imperial knives in a cardboard display hanging on the wall. Just like most kids back then, I always hung out looking at the knives. They had the Barlow knives there as well. Know a days, I collect knives just like I do guns. I have the Case, Schrade and Camillus as well as some custom knives in my collection. However I have some of the old cheap ones too, just for old times sake. It feels good to have them in my pocket again.

Jim

#12 ·
Most of my knives are inexpensive knives, just can't see spending the money on art work for anything! I do have one custom, well son has it now. Track made in Whitefish, Montana in about 1971. One of a kind but I never used it hunting for what ever reason. Have a couple nice Bucks. Hard to say as I'm not a Buck fan, One was a gift from a friend the other a judge's gift at a field trial I judged. These are both nice but I don't use them either. My favorite are Schrade folder's. Then I buy the inexpensive under $20 set's mostly. They take a good edge and are fine for whatever I've needed a knife for.

#13 ·

Since I dealt in cutlery for a few years..more for fun than profit, I took some in trade as well. I have a couple cigar box sized plastic containers, each about half full .

I don't usually carry any of the more costly ones around these days, because that is almost a guarantee, I will lose it! :tango_face_wink:

So, I usually I carry a cheap one...pretty good chance it won't get lost ! :tango_face_smile:

#14 ·
I went fishing in Carrabelle, Florida maybe 20 years ago and found that my knife didn't go with me. I bought a stainless steel Barlow lock blade, a nice little "dress" knife, when I got there. I just checked one of my drawers and I still have it, nice and very sharp and good to go. I will say it's surprisingly one of the best Barlow knives that I've ever had, and it may have cost me $5 tops....

I have some Cold Steel, Gerber and Kershaw knives as well as an old Schrade Sharpfinger somewhere....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.