Something Isn't Right - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Location: Officially I live in Florida but I can sometimes be found in Missouri
Default Something Isn't Right

Took my 30-06 Vanguard to the range yesterday to sight it in for hunting season. I have a Leupold xv-1 3x9 scope on the rifle. I have used it for years. I shot 4 shots at 25 yards and had a ragged hole dead center in the bull. I decided to move the rifle back to 100 yards. I noticed that I was on 3 power for the first four shots so I changed the power to 9. I shot Maggies Drawers. I suspected the bullets were going high. I moved the target to 50 yards just to see if I could find paper and hit 8 inches high. I adjusted down. The barrel was getting hot so I decided to call it at day. The rifle has been and I think still is a tack driver. The combination has never failed me. I think the only variable was changing power. I don't think that should have impacted POA much. I am going back to the range to see if I am still zeroed in at 50. Then I am going to change power to see if I change POA. I suspect I have a sick scope. Thoughts?

Last edited by RonByers; 09-02-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 10:22 AM

You can always try 3x at 100 yards to see if it is still very high. You might need a different target with a larger aim point but shoot a couple at 3x if they are centered turn about 1/2 way shoot a couple more. If still good then go all the way up to 9 and try.

Bruce

Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 11:53 AM

I think the center of the scope lens and barrel is about 1.5" from center to center - velocity? Let's take 2,625 fps for example - so here's where your bullets should strike when you sight in to hit a 4" target.

1st zero is 27 yards - (Bullet will be low from zero to 27 yards) beyond 27 yards the bullet will be high out to 191 yards but at 191 yards you should be right on. At 100 yards you will be 1.95" high. With your rifle/scope sighted in this manner you will hit a 4 inch target from point blank range out to 224 yards holding your X-hair dead center on the target.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

I decided to go back to the basics. I cleaned the rifle carefully last evening. I bought a box of Remington CoreLoks just to eliminate ammunition. I went to the range and carefully examined my processes. I decided to sight in at 50 yards using 9 power. I had done that yesterday so it was a matter of seeing where the Remington ammunition patterned. It was right on the bull. I moved to 100 yards. The rifle was still dead on. I fired rounds at 6 and 3 power. They were within 2 inches of my initial group. A little low. I decided the difference was the shooter. I then returned to 9 power and adjusted the point of impact up about 2 inches. I fired three rounds to confirm my point of impact had changed the correct amount. One was just a little low, but the other two were within 3/4 of an inch of each other about 2 inches high. I had a couple of rounds left over from yesterday's fiasco so I shot them, they were about an inch low and less than 1/2 inch apart. I let the rifle cool between shots taking about 2 hours to complete the reported course of fire. My deer rifle is ready for any shot out to 225 yards as ole 5 hole group says. I don't know if the shooter is ready so I will probably only take shots out to 175 yards or so but the rifle is up to hunting this fall.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 12:38 PM

Gun may be okay, but the shooter might benefit from consuming 2 or three more boxes of ammo(cost of factory ammo is why you should reload). Set the scope on 4x and leave it there, then do a bunch of shooting. By leaving the scope on one setting you will know that there is less chance of a problem with the scope and you will know what to expect when you raise the rifle. 4x is plenty for deer to 200 yards. A good shooter could get by with 2.5x at that distance.

2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur /C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional , illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of cr*p by the clean end!

Now, with special thanks to the Truman Museum and Harry himself, you and I finally have a full understanding of what "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" really means.....
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

You are probably right. I shoot a lot but I just don't shoot a scoped high powered rifle that much. Just about once or twice a year. This year is a little different. I have been shooting high powered rifle a little more. I just haven't missed that badly in about 50 years, then yesterday everything was back to normal.

Actually I think it was back to normal the day before. Once I was able to get on paper, I was able to dial it back in at 100. The sporter barrel moves around when it is heated. So I had to go back yesterday to confirm and work through my problem. I still don't know why it was that far off, but I think it had something to do with the **** lead sled I used on Friday. Yesterday I went back to basics.

I mostly hunt in the Missouri woods. Normally I set my rifle to 3 power or so. My 6.5 Swede is topped with a 1-4 power Leupold. That is why I hardly ever think about 9 power. Somewhere I read that you are supposed to sight in using the maximum power.

Last edited by RonByers; 09-03-2017 at 03:57 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

ulav8r, you just reminded me of my favorite pet peeve about shooting. Personally I find sitting at a bench shooting a scoped high power rifle that could shoot MOA out of the box before it was upgraded with pillar and action bedding and a free floated barrel in a fiberglass, kevlar stock at a 100 yard range about as exciting as watching paint dry. Like most Americans I view going to the range and sighting in my deer rifle as a necessary chore, not a pleasant afternoon's entertainment. That is why ranges fill up this time of year but are often nearly empty the rest.

Long distance precision shooting is something that could could turn me on. There is voodoo in wind and plotting trajectory is pure rocket science. What a combination. Where I am there is simply no place to shoot more than 200 or maybe 300 yards. The local county public range is 100 yards. The nearest private club is 200 yards. There is a private club over an hour away that is 300 yards and another almost an hour and a half away that I am told is 500. I read about long distance precision shooting and even see lots of ads for guns and gear. There is just no place near by.

My pet peeve is not being able to easily participate in long distance shooting.

Last edited by RonByers; 09-03-2017 at 10:42 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 08:42 PM

Changing scope power should not be a problem. Did you check action screw torque, barrel/stock clearance, scope base and ring screw torque?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

You are right. I don't know what the problem was, and I am going to check further.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonByers View Post
ulav8r, you just reminded me of my favorite pet peeve about shooting. Personally I find sitting at a bench shooting a scoped high power rifle that could shoot MOA out of the box before it was upgraded with pillar and action bedding and a free floated barrel in a fiberglass, kevlar stock at a 100 yard range about as exciting as watching paint dry.

My pet peeve is not being able to easily participate in long distance shooting.
Do you sit at a bench while hunting? If not, then don't practice like that. Stand up, kneel on the ground, lean against a tree, use a sling, walking stick, or day pack to steady yourself, or all of them. Practice hunting shooting, not bench resting to determine ultimate possible accuracy. Use a paper saucer as a target, when you can hit it every time at 200 yards while standing on one foot and shooting at a right angle from the direction you are facing, then you can start practicing more difficult shots. Personally, my offhand shots are at least 10 times worse than benched shots, so I reserve them for less than 20 yards. Know your limitations and use practice to reduce them.

2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur /C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional , illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of cr*p by the clean end!

Now, with special thanks to the Truman Museum and Harry himself, you and I finally have a full understanding of what "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" really means.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page