Range finder question, up to 600 yds on deer - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Question Range finder question, up to 600 yds on deer

Hello- I am asking you who have used your range finders THAT WORK ON 600 YARD DEER RANGING what brand and model you have and how it "measures" up. I have read on the descriptions of yardages they COULD/MIGHT work on deer and I actually get confused by much of the description on some. (500 yards may be plenty far, but for stalking reasons I would like to know ahead of time how far I have to crawl.....)
So please tell me if the one you have will measure out good and far, and if you are happy with it.
It is for mule deer hunting and I don't want to waste more money buying another one that doesn't read to 250 yds when it feels the mood
So please share your experience and help me not waste money. Thanks thejanitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 09:55 PM

I'll give you four (4) good quality range finders that will perform to your standards out to 600 yards. The laser beam diameter is probably the most important element - for the price Leica is best and the 1200 would do just fine - the 1600 won't give you much more (so I've been told) - then comes Zeiss, then Swarovski.

I've had the Zeiss and it worked extremely well but I found the ranging circle a little large to hold steady on long ranging - I think that will be a problem with them all, so you might need a decent rest when ranging to 600 yards on deer.

I sold the Zeiss to a fellow who just had to have it and he had real deep pockets - I now have the Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 and it's every bit as good as the Zeiss was. When I range a prairie dog mound and get a reading of 846 yards - I just add a little salt to the bullet.

Can't speak to the less expensive range finders but if you look on some sites such as Sniper's Hide, you can find some lightly used models for a good price - I purchased the Zeiss and Sig used off the Sniper's Hide for a great price - they will post a price but usually will accept less when contacted via PM.

Expect to pay between $350 and $475 for the aforementioned models in used condition - Swarovski being the expensive one.

A side benefit to a rangefinder is they also can be used for glassing game - not nearly as good as binos but they can perform double duty in a pinch.

Do not fear the Enemy, for your Enemy can only take your Life. It is far better to keep the Media at bay, for they will Steal Your Honor.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! I will look at those that you mentioned. I appreciate the post! - thejanitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 07:52 AM

knock about 25 percent off the advertised range of most of them (other then the high dollar lecia's ect.) and youll be pretty safe. Ive got a 1000 yard bushnell (the old bigger unit) and its does fine out to about 750-800. It works in about any condition out at 600.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Sig kilo 2200LRH Is 150.00 off right now at cabelas. (Black color only) Just FYI - thejanitor

I am always looking for Simmons whitetail classic scopes- PM me if you may have one to sell. Thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:05 AM

If you really want to find a good rangefinder have a look at ATN LaserBallistics at https://www.atncorp.com/range-finder You can use it separately or in pair with a rifle scope. The main advantage is that you can connect them using Bluetooth and transfer all the information about the distance to the rifle scope, that will reduce the time to prepare for the shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page