Help Needed With Mounts for Rem 700 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Default Help Needed With Mounts for Rem 700

Guess I'm getting old and fuzzy, but am stumped and need some help... I am trying to mount a 30mm Konus or a 30mm Weaver with a 50mm objective on my Rem 700 Mountain rifle.. I have used the reg Rem Bases 36 on rear and 35 on front. used Dead Nutz rings(not sure of height)

My problem is that I do not have enough adjustment in the elevation to bring the poi down to get closer than 5 inches high at 100yds... can someone please help stear me in the right direction... There appears to be about a 1/4" clearance between the objective bell and the barrel.
I previously had no problems with scopes mounted that had 1"tubes and 40mm objectives.

I have no experience with shimming or z-rings so I have not tried that... hope to get something that doesn't require that.

Thanks for looking, hope you can help me.

TheMoose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 05:03 PM

If neither scope gives you enough adjustment, I'd say your rings are too high.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsyltuckymoose View Post
Guess I'm getting old and fuzzy, but am stumped and need some help... I am trying to mount a 30mm Konus or a 30mm Weaver with a 50mm objective on my Rem 700 Mountain rifle.. I have used the reg Rem Bases 36 on rear and 35 on front. used Dead Nutz rings(not sure of height)
TheMoose
Moose. Is this the 1st time your Mtn Rifle has been scoped? Did I interpret correctly that you tried two different scopes?

Swapping the rings front to back won’t hurt but that shouldn’t make a difference unless they have a built in MOA.

Burris XTR Signature rings have cured a lot of alignment issues. Greatest invention since smokeless powder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 07:36 PM

It sounds like the scope(s) aren't parallel to the bore. First thing I'd do is double check both the bases and rings to make sure they are the same height.

If the bases and/or rings are new it's not unheard of to find a set packaged wrong. Or get mixed up in a parts drawer (how would I know that???).

I believe Weaver does list 2 different heights for the 36/35 bases.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 09:34 PM

If you are having issues with both scopes, then you have an issue with either your mounts or rings ... or both.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Dumb, Dumber, Democrat
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

I did some searching to find correct scope height using penny method was easy. I came up with a measurement of .230" then measured rings and got .300". Would .070 increased height cause the problem I have or perhaps better stated, How much would lowering the scope by .070" change the poi @ 100 yds?".. I am not a math or ballistician.

Thanks to have provided input.
TheMoose
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 02:32 PM

The height of the scope doesn't matter (within reasonable limits of course). You could mount it 4" or 5" above the rifle and still be able to adjust the scope to hit point of aim at 100 yards. The only thing that matters is that the scope is parallel to the bore - unless you're shooting at extremely long range, and there are special mounts designed for that.

I agree with Apuesto - it's likely something wrong with the mounts or rings. I suppose it's possible the receiver wasn't machined correctly, or the bore isn't straight, but those would be uncommon.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 05:51 AM

cut some thin shims out of shim stock you can buy at the auto parts store or ive even used electrical tape and shim the bottom of your front ring. keep adding thickness till it comes down far enough. Far enough isn't so that you just make it. If your scope is at its adjustment limit your not going to get the optical performance its capable of. You should never be much past the top or bottom 1/4 of your adjustment range. I use mostly leupold mounts so you couldn't mix up the rings but I believe on a rem the taller ring in the set for a weaver style base is the back ring.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 08:54 AM
Dee

I've used aluminum strips made from soft drink cans.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page