anyone play with thermal imagers? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Default anyone play with thermal imagers?

I just ordered one of these https://www.leupold.com/night-vision...o-tracker-2-hd I thought it would be handy for crop damage deer shooting. Lots of the fields we shoot in are surrounded by 4-5 foot tall elephant grass or swamp and ive done a few all nighters looking for deer that were less then 50 yards from the edge of the field. Aint cheap but if it save even one night of traipsing around in the swamp a year it would be worth it.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 08:18 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
I just ordered one of these https://www.leupold.com/night-vision...o-tracker-2-hd I thought it would be handy for crop damage deer shooting. Lots of the fields we shoot in are surrounded by 4-5 foot tall elephant grass or swamp and ive done a few all nighters looking for deer that were less then 50 yards from the edge of the field. Aint cheap but if it save even one night of traipsing around in the swamp a year it would be worth it.
I didn't get the link to open, but I've seen Leupold's device advertised before. I used, for the first time, on last week's hunt, a FLIR Scout and it certainly helped to see game once it got fully dark on our evening hog hunts. All three hogs taken were killed with use of a light and the one that ran off a bit was located by using that fella's hand held thermal device.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

that's good to hear. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 09:48 AM

'
Sounds like a handy piece of equipment, but you may want to check the rulebook..

if I were to plan on using it where I live, I have little doubt but Krazy Kwomo, our governor, will have some kind of rule against it!

The leftist states make up all kinds of crippling laws. I think it is because they are afraid that somebody, somewhere ..may be enjoying life!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)

Last edited by ironglow; 02-22-2020 at 09:51 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

I don't think its illegal anywhere. Its not a rifle scope that would be used in states like MI that have sunrise to sunset laws for shooting deer. Its just a monocular used to pick up heat. Don't know about NY or CA though. Like you said they have laws that just don't make sense.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 07:03 AM

We tried a thermal when the first came out, back then they were no where as good as today's. We hunted a crop depredation 24/7 permit for deer, and settled on using 3.5 Million CP self contained spotlights for the night shoots. You just "sweep" the area once watching for eyes. The deer will stand there when you first use it, but in short order learn what it means, and will turn their heads as the light approaches them once they do.

The quick sweep, then relocate a little ways and have the shooter ready, (and behind the light) once you light up the area the deer is seemed the best way to maximize shots.

I'll bet the new thermals minimize the deer that catch on to the spotlight. Good luck with it!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 09:23 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I have just started researching the options for night time hunting. In Iowa artificial light is illegal and deer shooting hours are 1/2 half our before sunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset. So my interest is for coyotes only. I would bet that 90% of the coyotes that will come to a call in these parts do so after dark. I will be following this thread with much interest cuz I know nothing about night vision scopes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

well I got it. First impression is positive. But its winter out so theres a big temp swing between outside and animals or houses. Dog shows up at a 100 yards like its right there next to you. Houses light up from heat loss and even trees light up (you can adjust the sensitivity on this model to get rid of what you don't want. Cool sitting in the living room you can look at the walls and see the studs or look at the ceiling and see the rafters.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 06:09 AM

Wow, that sounds like it would be worth the price just for the toy factor!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

yup it is kind of cool. You can look at the outside of your house and see the wall studs too. You can use it to look for heat loss in your house. My son in law whos a diesel mechanic said it would even work for looking for hot spots on motors. I did find one down side other then the price. It uses 123 battery's and the battery life is only rated at 3 hours. I think it might be a bit more but I already used up the battery that came with it. I guess it isn't like your going to keep it on in the field for 3 hours straight. and it comes with a scope coat and I found you can stuff a spare battery right in it. If you get one get this model because it has a filter where on three color modes you can turn down the sensitivity. Without it in the house theres enough heat in even chairs or walls that it shows up and im sure looking for a deer on an 80 degree day would be tough because everything is hot. With this filter you can adjust it up or down to filter out the false readings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page