Illuminated reticles......?? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Default Illuminated reticles......??

I’ve recently bought a Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x44 EBR-4 and I’m really happy with it. It seems very clear and it’s zeroed well. But having a relatively busy reticle it gets even crazier with the illumination switched on, at least in the brightest settings. What sort of scenarios is an IR helpful? Can anyone give me tips on best practice with IR? It’s new territory to me.

8)

Cheers & God Bless

.17cal ~ .22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 223 Rem ~ 7mm-08 ~ 308 Win ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 450/400 NE 3"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 12:41 PM

Gun Cabinet

Low level light
Dawn and dusk
usually dark background shows better contrast when 'on'
Not necessary at highest setting
adjust to suit conditions

Think twice, shoot once...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 01:56 PM

Gun Cabinet

I have about a dozen or so scopes with illuminated reticles made by Leupold, Hawke, Vortex and Sign Sauer. For me, they are a requirement for my hog and bear hunting when I'm expecting my shots to be around sunset or in the hog hunting scenario, well into full darkness.

All my reticles are limited to either duplex or #4 type, however. I DO NOT do busy reticles. As mentioned above some practice with brightness settings will be very useful, as the darker it gets, the more dim you'll want the reticle to be (my preference). I find higher brightness settings to only be useful during full daylight.

Some don't like the idea of illuminated reticles, but I am completely sold on them for extreme low light conditions. I will say, though, I don't necessarily feel them necessary for typical deer hunting, but I'm certainly not adverse to using them for deer hunting either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 05:11 AM

im one that isn't crazy about them. You get about a 5 minute window when they help. Before that normal crosshairs are fine and after that the light washes out the target and all you see is crosshairs. When I do use them is with scopes with 1x levels as the next best thing to a red dot. So an ar15 with a 1x4 in a pinch in the dark can be used with both eyes open and just superimposing the crosshair on the target (close range) like a red dot. But for actual low light hunting id rather my dollars be spent on better glass then a light reticle upgrade.

BLUE LIVES MATTER!!!!!!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 09:38 AM

I agree with Lloyd. I dont have much use for them. I prefer scopes NOT have them.
When I was fiddlin with Air Guns only scopes that broke where those with IR.

Adds bulk and obnoxious knobs I dont want.

Sorry for the rant. IMHO most are better off without them.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 10:44 AM

Gun Cabinet

I'd highly suggest that interested folks try and seriously compare a quality scope with IR with the same quality non IR scope at SS and make up their own minds. The difference in weight was about 1 ounce between my 30mm Leupolds in 1.25-4 and 2-7x33 to the same sizes with the VX-R line. The difference in "bulk" is another (3rd") knob at the turret on the left side. I have owned 4-5 Zeiss Conquests in 1.8-5.5x38, 2-8x32 and 3-9x40 and all were excellent scopes. I sold two of them to upgrade to Leupold VX-Rs after several low light SXS comparisons. The remaining two are on rifles solely used for deer hunting.

There's a vast difference in low light between the VX-Rs and Zeiss in favor of the Leupolds with the reticle on and turned to the proper brightness (read that as very low brightness). This feature allows anyone who can see their quarry in the scope to put a well placed shot on their game animal. (I'm not promoting hunting during illegal times, but those who hunt black bear and hogs especially, understand the differences of seeing an unlighted vs lighted reticle on a dark target on a rainy or overcast late afternoon hunt)

As to the dependability of "good" IR scopes, I've never had one break or fail to work in 7 seasons of using at least a dozen different ones. I did have one battery that was dead because I'd left it on, but I simply replaced the battery while in the blind right then. The Leupolds I own all also have an "auto-off" feature where the scope's IR goes "dormant" when not moved for 5 mins. I've only had to replace one battery in any of my 6 or 7 Leupolds and that scope & battery were both over 5 yrs old.

A good friend was sold on the lighted reticles after a bear hunt in Maine in 2018. He was using a rifle with a VX2 in 3-9x40 and told us he just sat and waited for the pickup to come get him because he lost the reticle 20 mins before legal shooting light ended. He nows owns a VX-R in 3-9x40.

All these scopes are ones that are quality scopes with illuminated reticles. Two have 30mm tubes, one a 1" tube. None are the least bit bulky on top of these rifles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-264.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	244998  

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail-265.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	245000  

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 04:59 AM

maybe so the most expensive battery Ir scope I have is a burris 1x6. Don't care for that one. I do have a trijicon accupoint with a tritium lit redical that I do like. Probably because the titium has dimmed over the years and doesn't overpower the view. Most ir scopes do that even on the lowest setting. I do have a sig sauer 3x9 IR and its one of the worse offenders. Like the scope with it shut off though. Good glass for the money.

BLUE LIVES MATTER!!!!!!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 07:00 PM

Name:  2072D5A9-9FA3-4617-AE9D-75E6F6A85C62_1590102012982.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  25.9 KB

I really like My Accupoint scope too!! No knobs, no buttons no batteries. NO NON sence!

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 07:45 PM

I have 4 of them. cut the light off and you have a regular scope( mine are Leupold's). so if you don't need it don't use it. if you hunt early or late there will be a time when it helps you 100%.nothing better than seeing your target. its excellent night hunting. shining a bright light on your target gets them ready to run. a bright light up in trees casting a little lite on your target works. makes for a good hit and clean kill. so what is wrong with that?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 04:57 AM

nothing if that's what you want and like. My only real critism because like you said you can turn them off is that it cost money. Nothing free. So if you buy a 300 dollar scope with a lit reticle your probably getting 200 dollar glass. Me? Id rather the 300 dollar glass.

BLUE LIVES MATTER!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page