Garmin ETREX. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Default Garmin ETREX.

Cheapest ($100.00 or so) most basic GPS. Picked it up a few years ago. It does everything I need it to do. I named him "Solly". He MUST have a name or I won't be able to talk about him. We mark the truck location before we go into the woods. No matter where we go Solly gets me back to the truck. Won't direct me a mile down/up the road and leave me guessing as to, "Which way is that truck?" If we find a spot to put together a ground blind we just mark the spot on Solly. He'll take me there for years if that's what we want. If we want to find the best spot to cross a swamp or stream Solly will take care of me. If we want to come back to pick up that monster buck Solly will do it. Solly doesn't care if it's day or night, he'll take me where we want to go. Solly does those "Solunar Tables", he tells me North or whatever we need, he tells me the time, he tells me his remaining power, he has a screen that lights up. He probably does other stuff but Solly and I are happy with all this information. How much more do we need? If his batteries die his brain will not care. As soon as he gets those new Duracells he's happy. He doesn't do the mysterious
"Computer Download" thing. He doesn't even know why this is necessary. He and his friend, "Mr. Compass", are O.K. with each other. Since Solly came along Mr. Compass is on standby but happy in his new role. Solly is basic and uncomplicated. He's just a happy guy doing all that is necessary for cheap dollars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Garmin ETREX.

Had one about ten years. Basic yellow model. Still don't know how to use it but my grandkid starts kindergarten next year and once he can read the manual, he can teach me. Same goes for the Garmin on the boat. Makes pretty pictures and tells me the depth, but don't know how to lay a crum line or get back home yet. Forget waypoints and numbers.

Old dog needs new tricks.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM

Have to agree with everything said about my etrex. Including marking buck scrapes. After coming out onto a road that I "thought" was the right dirt road (how many ridges was that?) and not knowing which way to the truck, I decided it was time and have never been sorry. It gets used every trip in unfamiliar and big areas. Does not replace a compass, but they sure don't get worn out like they used to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 06:37 AM

Ive got 3 gps units. One expensive garmin one expensive delorne and a etrex. I use the etrex twice as much as both the others combined. batterys last long enough that you can trust it to get you home and most of the bells and whistles on the other two are so seldom used that they were about a waste of money. Only downside to the etrex is that its not a great performer when in the swamps or thick woods. You about have to find a small opening in the cover to get a good signal.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

This is ol' Tucoblue from post of Nov. 2012. Solly and I are still friends and he still does all as outlined in 2012 post. Was testing him in unfamilier area yesterday and all was well. Just thought I'd mention that.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 09:06 PM

This is tucoblue. New name is credns still with the same ol' "Solly". Solly is still doing everything as in previous post of 7 Nov. 2012. Won't go in the woods without him and he has never failed. He is still good friends with Mr. Compass. He still loves those spare Durocells.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:31 PM

Plus.....have seen the same ETREX on sale for

$80.00 or so. Basic unit and easy to use.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page