Graybeard Outdoors banner

Garmin Drivesmart 55

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Dee 
#1 ·
Just bought this thing today, anybody got one?

Couple a friends said I'd like it. One told me he'd take it home and update it for me.
I decided I'd bring it home and mess with it instead.
Turns out, I'm sittin in my jeep and it asks to hook up to my wifi.
I did that, checked for updates. Had one for software, and 1 for maps. It's out there in the jeep finishing up on maps now.
That's cool as he!!.
Anybody got any experience with one?

#2 ·
I got one for my wife last week. I had it hooked to my laptop for 2.5 hours to update it, and then we put it on a charger to do what chargers do. Lori knows more about those things than I do. The one that's in the car now is a Tom Tom and I can't touch it or the screen will change and I don't know how to fix it. I grew up on maps and road signs.....Plus the Tom Tom would never update all of the way and wanted big bucks to do so.

#3 ·
Finally got to test the thing today, its awesome.
Had a couple of old settlements I always wanted to locate in my jeep.
Got the coordinates off the internet, put'em in the garmin and went right to'em.
This thing is great.

#4 · (Edited)
I used a garmin for several years and it worked great but the updates fineally ran their course. So I just downloaded google maps into my IPhone and haven’t looked back. The google maps updates itself as needed. With no cost.

#5 ·
Well, the Tom Tom met a sudden demise. I have the old Garmin in my car, but that's a moot point because I seldom go anywhere that I need it, but it's way better than the Tom Tom was. Lori loves the new one.

#6 ·
The thing I like about the Garmin is it runs off satelite. My phone works great as long as I have phone service but, that's not always the case.
With this new Garmin I check for software, or map updates, it links to my wifi automatically from the garage, and updates itself.
Way more dependable than my phone where I want to go.

#7 ·
I like the stand alone GPS over a phone. Like Dee, there are are places where my phone no workee and the GPS doesn't have that problem plus it's easier to see than a phone. I have a Garmin in my old jeep but it has to be hooked to a computer to update which I should get done. It is supposed to have free life time map updates. We'll see. I seldom need it and use it mostly as a speedometer as I have larger tires than stock on the jeep. I could have bought a programmer that would allow me to reset the speedometer but the GPS was cheaper and more useful to me. It did help me out several weeks ago when out boondocking and I ran into a brand new fence across the road I was on. I just zoomed out and found my best option and followed it back to the highway. There are a ton of new to me roads in the boonies now courtesy of the oil boom and the GPS seems to have them all. I know this country well enough not to get lost but it could save a bunch of driving miles in cases like the new fence.

The wife's GMC has a dash unit. It's big and easy to see and to use. GMC says it's out of date and it's only two years old. The update is going to cost a hundred bucks. I said to heck with it but I've been over ruled.

#8 ·
My old TomTom has to be plugged into a USB port and down load new maps and software.

I checked my new Garmin last night when I pulled into the garage.
Had it needed either, I'd a just started the down loads right off my wifi and went into the house. Sweet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.