not much on desiel trucks but - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Default not much on desiel trucks but

chev just announced the epa fuel mileage readings on there new Duramax half ton and it 33 hwy 29 city. Pretty amazing for a full sized truck. that's better then the Colorado with the little 4 cyl diesel.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 08:27 AM

That is amazing mileage, even if the epa ratings tend to be a little optimistic.

I still wouldn't get a diesel in a half-ton. Only reason I'd get a diesel is if I was towing/hauling heavy stuff, and then I'd want a 3/4 ton or bigger.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 02:14 PM

Modern diesels fill what I consider a narrow niche. In the past it wasnít so, they were blacksmith hammer simple, and reliable.

Modern ones are every bit as complicated as gas engines and in many aspects more so. First it was EGR, then particulate filters and finally diesel exhaust fluid.

Whom of you know that DEF has a shelf life like a loaf of bread? Top off that work horse and park her for 6 months only to find it wonít run properly because the def has gone stale. Too many farmers have learned this expensive lesson. Buy a bulk tank of 250 gallons at a nice discount, and set her in the shed. Come the fall push all the new tractors and the combine are out of service because the bargain DEF has gone stale.

If you need the power all the time there is no good substitute. But as a small percentage Iíd just put up with the occasional inconvenience of a solid gas power plant. They are better than they ever were by a wide margin. Nearing 400#í of torque from a 5 liter Ford! That ainít your daddyís 460 son thatís a 302. Thatís just the solid mid pack motor there is more where that comes from. Chevy, Dodge, Ford all of them have big power gas mills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Cant argue with you EQ. I too think a lot more are sold to people that think they need it then actually do. Like you said every manufacture today has gas motors that put out over 400 ftlbs of torque. that's about what two 454s would make in the 70s and about as much as the original Duramax's ram cummings, and power strokes put out. Seems today everyone needs a 1000 ftlbs of torque to pick up some 2x4s at menards. Must do some real serious camping because those torque numbers are up there with over the road rigs that two BIG loads cross country. Had to chuckle the other day. I was behind a good sized camper being pulled by a ram. The right rear was smoking like it was on fire. I got along side of him and pulled him over. His electric brakes were stuck full on on that wheel. He was pulling it with a 6.4 hemi. I asked him why he didn't stop as he surely must have felt the drag. He said the truck didn't even down shift. At least not that he noticed.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

that's odd spruce. In recent years at least in the last 5 or 6 vehicles ive bought new the epa numbers were easily beat. My Silverado is rated at 20 hwy and ive had the gas milage readout set for the average of 400 miles and have seen 23 on it a few times. About allways it will show at least 20 and that's not running the interstate. that's UP driving on two lane roads. Most of it is 10 mile round trips to and through town for my wife to go to work. Probably as much city as highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
That is amazing mileage, even if the epa ratings tend to be a little optimistic.

I still wouldn't get a diesel in a half-ton. Only reason I'd get a diesel is if I was towing/hauling heavy stuff, and then I'd want a 3/4 ton or bigger.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:40 AM

Had a 93 Dodge D250 Cummins for several years and averaged 22 mpg on the highway loaded down and pulling a trailer. Sure miss that pickup. The half ton diesels being sold today seem more like a toy than a work pickup and for a niche buyer who likes the idea of having a diesel.

wtxbadger
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:46 AM

Itís a known fact that a diesel powered pickup adds 3Ē to your membership. Tow mirrors are worth 3/4Ē.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 12:02 PM

Well that explains all those enthusiastic buyers then but it must be solely for half ton pickups. Can't say I saw the same benefit with my 3/4 ton cummins.

wtxbadger
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

don't forget clearance lights on top the cab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Quiver View Post
Itís a known fact that a diesel powered pickup adds 3Ē to your membership. Tow mirrors are worth 3/4Ē.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxbadger View Post
Well that explains all those enthusiastic buyers then but it must be solely for half ton pickups. Can't say I saw the same benefit with my 3/4 ton cummins.

Sorry for your troubles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page