Truly big tractors of old. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Default Truly big tractors of old.

I went to the Albany Pioneer Days, in Albany , MN this past weekend.
Back when dad and I first went 40 some years ago, it was a mud hole as often as not; well , we have had a lot of rain this year and this year, or as my dad would have said -- It was a dam# mud hole 40 years ago and it still a dam#ed mud hole.
I did not spend time at the large flea market as it was mud hole and I am getting a bit worried about my other half as since last year she has really slowed down in how much she can walk.

But the show is now much , much larger, three days instead of two, as it seems in Minn. and maybe other places these shows are competing for who is the biggest and best.
Where as they used to have a lot of the big 1920s-1930s gasoline tractors sitting outside and rusting waiting for restoration, some how money must be out there to put the time and effort into these monsters.
There was over a dozen of the big gasoline engines running and in the parade; this is one of the main reason I love these shows the smell of their oil and gasoline, the sound of them running the way they make the ground shake when just being started much less rolling by.
I love the steam engines but these big old gasoline engines fascinate me even more. Most of these , including steam traction engines make a lot of noise when rolling but one owner showed that if you make a real effort to keep them well oiled with no excess slack or lack of grease they can be amazingly quite.
One very large steam engine rolled by and if you did not hear the steam blow-by and your back was turned to it, you would not know it was there; if my other half remarked at how quite it was.
Many years back I was at such a show when some one had let the water level get dangerously low. I heard the alarm whistle that they needed water now and stay away plus I saw that those big steamer which usually roll along at a fast walk at best, can, if need be, move along a lot faster than you think.
He raced up to the water tower, while his crew told every one to get away, as in the past some had blown up at such shows with fatal results.

The above were all represented there plus more.

The below steam engine was there giving out a sampling of beer named after the Harrison Steam Engine;Harrison Steam Beer. I did not get the details as he was very busy.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

These are the biggest steam engines for farming ever built, best to turn the music off. I found it annoying.

RR
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Here is one I do not remember seeing before.

https://www.grainews.ca/2015/12/31/t...et-farm-needs/

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:10 AM

Nice! I don't get a chance to take in much of these shows anymore, it's good to see they're alive and well.

There's one in Ct I went to years back and it was awesome. They fired up some of the bigger pieces over the course of the weekend. Lots of every type of equipment imaginable there.

Here's a link: http://www.ctamachinery.com/2012-fall-festival/
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:37 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Bob, I grew up in Charles City Iowa, the home of the Oliver tractor factory. I remember as a kid going down to the court house where out in the lawn encased in glass was one of the original Hart Parr tractors. Every year they would have an Old Threshers Reunion in Rockford Iowa. Some years they would roll that big tractor out of the glass case fire it up and haul it to the show.

Going to those events was a hoot when I was a kid but now I have an even deeper appreciation for the manual labor that went into those works of art.

My dad got hired on when the Oliver tractor factory was in its infancy. He worked in the foundry pouring castings and then after the casting was done he loaded them on the assembly line. He would then take the cope and drag(top and bottom half of the casting jig) over to a huge shake out machine and shake the casting sand out of the two halves and start all over on the next one. For the most part he worked piece work. In other words he got paid for the product turned out rather than by the hour. Manually handling those cores and cope/drags was much faster than using the hoist. My old man was chiseled like a modern day weightlifter. From 1964-1968....four long years my dad worked 2 shifts....as in 16 hours per day. There was no OSHA interference then and UAW union was very strong. My dad made enough money in those 4 years to build a brand new house...which cost $30 grand in 1968 and it was a very nice house for that $30,000 too! He also bought a new Mercury Monterey for $3700. He even let me drive it.

It all takes us back to an era when men were men and the candy a$$e$ got weeded out naturally. I have a whole lot of respect for the men from that era that are both gone and still with us.

Last edited by gpa&hisguns; 09-19-2019 at 09:40 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:03 PM

I love the sound of the steam whistle on this Case, turn your speakers up loud for this:

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Early Hart-Parr 40-80 Gasoline Tractor near Wasco - c. 1910

Daimler-Foster 105 hp tractor

The Hornsby Steam Crawler Tractor

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/T...n/traction.htm

I am going to have to get a couple of piggy banks and save for a trip to the U.K. and old country to go to some machinery museums and old farm shows over there.
Sadly I doubt that many, if any, of the big Euro/British tractors are still around. I think there is a Hornsby in one museum; I also wonder a Hart-Parr 40-80 still exists.

RR
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 08:54 PM

I see some big ones at most every show I go to,

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:19 PM

Those old steam engines had maximum torque a 0 rpm ! Max torque went to work a soon as the clutch was engaged..

Below, a photo of the Holt tractor of 1914. Holt, later Caterpillar, was the inspiration for the British tanks, first to enter warfare, during WW1.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Holt_15ton_  1914.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	234468  

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
Those old steam engines had maximum torque a 0 rpm ! Max torque went to work a soon as the clutch was engaged..
Steamers don't have a clutch...

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page