Chevy or Ford turbo 4 cylinder - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Default Chevy or Ford turbo 4 cylinder

This seems to be the direction all the full size pickups are going. First Ford and now Chevy.

Anyone have one or know someone who does? Is it as good as their 6 or 8 cylinder motors?

They are currently selling these at a discount that seems to be a good value. I'm seeing 2020 Chevy Silverado full crew cab pickups with good options like 4 wheel drive, locking rear differential, towing and heated seats for $35k. May test drive one next week. This is even less than the little trucks like the Colorado, Ranger or Tacoma. Seems like a better value to me.

Anybody have one?

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.

Last edited by Lt. Dave; 11-29-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 11:22 AM

near 300hp so should have power. Id just be Leary about the long term holding up of that little motor if its actually worked. I only know one guy that has one. He said he gets 24 on the highway with it. Doesn't seem like much of a savings as my 5.3 will get an easy 22 and 23 if I baby it. Im guessing like you said the savings will come from the fact nobody wants them and the lots will be full of them this time next year. If there already selling 20s cheap wait till the 21s are coming out and there going to have to about give them away.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 11-29-2019 at 11:24 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 12:37 PM

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything with a turbo on it. Super expensive if anything goes wrong with it - and it will eventually.

That goes double for a tiny turbocharged engine in a big vehicle! Sure, there's plenty of horsepower, but it's really straining that little engine and no way will it last as long as a motor in the 5 liter class.

There's a reason why they're trying to dump them off cheap - not enough people want them, and they still won't when it's time to sell it used. You might save some money now, but will take a hit when it's time to get rid of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 09:35 AM

I guess I will agree and argue with you at the same time. Back even 10 years ago I wouldn't walk away from a turbo id run. But today these motors aren't NA motors that someone sticks a turbo on there motors build from the git go to be turboed. Most have much stronger pistons rods and cranks and stronger bottom ends to take that additional power. Look at an indy car that puts out mega power out of a little 4 cyl that runs wide open at over 10k for 500 miles. It can be done properly. Problem is these motors that are supposedly done right are relatively new. Guess the only ones that have any kind of a track record are the eco boost fords. First year or two they had some teething problmes but seem to be pretty much trouble free. I remember back in 87 when I bought my grand national. Turbo tech wasn't great then and you about knew that before a 100k youd have to buy a new turbo. Good thing is they weren't that expensive and on the gn were easy to change. Today we have much better turbos. Most ever over the road truck on the road has a turbo as do the diesel pickups from the big three and they have proven to be pretty reliable. Now all that said would I buy a full sized chev with a 4 cyl turbo?? NOPE but then I wouldn't have bought one with the 4.3 6 cyl either. Why? The 5.3 makes more power and gets very little less fuel economy and the resale value it carrys more then makes up for 4 years of a small gas savings and 3k less sticker price. Bottom line is ill buy a v8 until they don't put one in a full sized truck anymore. If chev stops ill buy a ram. I usually get a new truck every 3 to 5 years so long term 200k milage isn't a big concern but I keep saying the next truck will be the last and ill run it into the ground and one things for sure if the only thing on the lot is 4 cyls and 6 cyls I will keep my v8 and run it into the ground. I could except a turbo 4 in my jeep but a full sized truck? no way.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 08:16 PM

Gm has the turbo four cylinder in their full size pickups, Ford uses a six. I bought a Chevy RST double cab 4x4 turbo 4 cyl back in September and I love it. The engine doesn't lack for power and gets great gas mileage. It has 310 hp and 348 foot pounds of torque on regular gasoline. those were big block numbers not so long ago. So I dont understand why many say its not good for a full size truck. I get high 23 to 24 mpg for all around driving , hot rodding a lil less. The engine is built for a truck with diesel like components such as heavy forged crank, rods and pistons. The pistons even have cast iron ring groves to handle the high combustion pressures. Max engine torque starts at 1500 rpm and goes through 4000 rpm, so to get great mileage watch your tachometer and keep the rpms low and let the tranny shift up and the truck will scoot along well.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 08:50 PM

Simple fact of physics: For equal performance with equal load a smaller engine always works harder.
The harder an engine works, increases the chance for parts wearing out.
Always has been that way, always will.

RR
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 06:33 AM

My 17 5.3 extended cab 4x4 gets 22 most tanks on the road and ive seen 23 quite a few times. So fuel economy advantage is about nill. Id bet if you actually worked it or towed the v8 would do better and it would be a wash in the end. Down side is not many want the 4 so resale value is going to not be great. Its why there dumping them so cheap right now. Now if it got 5 mpg better mileage I might take a look. right now im thinking of replacing my 17 next summer. Im going the other way. Im waiting for a trail boss with a 6.2. bottom line is as long as chev will make a v8 for the Silverado ill buy one. Even the 6s had power. That's not a problem. Biggest problem is there was so many of them sitting on lots that dealers didn't even want them as trades. But lacking in power? Nah! I bought a new 79 chev. It had the biggest motor a 350. Matter of fact it was the biggest you could get even in a 3/4 ton that year. Put out 195 hp! We would have gone nuts for a 310 hp motor that got over 20mpg back then. Heck in 79 id of loved a corvette or camaro with 300 hp!!! It would have been king of the road!
Quote:
Originally Posted by muznut 54 View Post
Gm has the turbo four cylinder in their full size pickups, Ford uses a six. I bought a Chevy RST double cab 4x4 turbo 4 cyl back in September and I love it. The engine doesn't lack for power and gets great gas mileage. It has 310 hp and 348 foot pounds of torque on regular gasoline. those were big block numbers not so long ago. So I dont understand why many say its not good for a full size truck. I get high 23 to 24 mpg for all around driving , hot rodding a lil less. The engine is built for a truck with diesel like components such as heavy forged crank, rods and pistons. The pistons even have cast iron ring groves to handle the high combustion pressures. Max engine torque starts at 1500 rpm and goes through 4000 rpm, so to get great mileage watch your tachometer and keep the rpms low and let the tranny shift up and the truck will scoot along well.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 11:32 AM

With less mass and fewer parts, the engine does not have to work so hard to overcome weight of moving parts and their friction.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
With less mass and fewer parts, the engine does not have to work so hard to overcome weight of moving parts and their friction.

You have a valid point there. Look at what Mazda was doing with its rotary engine decades ago. A non-turboed 1 or 1 1/2 liter engine putting out the power of a piston engine at least twice as big.

Aim small, miss small!!!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 03:53 PM

If the smaller engine makes 350 fp of torque at 1500 rpm with less cylinders and displacement than a engine that needs to be spinning 4000 rpm to do roughly the same that engine will be more efficient. I had a 5.3 2016 gmc that I traded for this and my all around driving in summer was 19mpg and babied it to get that. In winter it was more like 16. My new truck I'm driving it with a 700 lb snow plow on it that is a big air brake and still getting 21mpg. GM's big trick is their tri power cams with variable valve lift. Also a plus for the turbo engine is at high altitudes the power wont drop of like naturally aspirated engine will.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in