Chevy loses money on every sub-$80K C8 sold - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Default Chevy loses money on every sub-$80K C8 sold

https://www.motortrend.com/news/sour...y-loss-leader/
We had a feeling the $59,995 starting price was too good to be true, and a GM source confirmed as much to us explaining the price would rise for the 2021 model year. This isn't much of a surprise, as the base price of a C7 rose nearly $2,000 in its second year and by another $2,000 the following year. While we still don't know how much the C8's price will rise in 2021, a more senior GM official tells us it would have to go through the roof in order to cover GM's cost.

Chevy is kicking their own arse by not selling both a front and rear engine Corvette.
Ferrari has brought back the front engined version because people wanted it and they sell different levels of cars.

Ferrari is Corvettes main competitor not the Ford GT and you can buy a good used Ferrari for the price Chevy is going to have to charge to not lose big money.
Dodge tried playing the high buck level sports car game, and after 26 years finally quit, there was not enough money in it.

https://www.carfax.com/Used-Ferrari_m43

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 07:08 AM

I guess I am too much the pragmatist. Even if I had the spare bucks to throw into it..I wouldn't be very interested in either a Ferrari or a Corvette.

Most all the highways I drive on are limited to 65 or 70 miles per hour..and I only slip over those limits, when I am not paying proper attention.

A few years ago, I owned a sports car, but gave up on the 7 months in storage vs 5 months usage.

So far a the super high powered sports cars.... I see them as a state trooper magnet..

Not for me...

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. (Alexander the Great)

Last edited by ironglow; 12-02-2019 at 07:28 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 10:27 AM

Ferrari does performance cars period and sells them for major money so can afford to have two different lines. The corvette is a small part of chev and they certainly cant afford two totally different versions that would appeal to the same people. I doubt anyone buying a new vette is going to go home because they cant buy a front engine slower and not as good handling of a car for the same money. Chev can barely afford to offer the camaro and the corvette today and is talking about discontinuing the camaro that has competitions from ford and dodge. The corvette has NO competition. Nothing even foreign in its price range comes close to the bang for the buck a corvette brings to the table.

Thankfully everyone doesn't agree with your ironglow or we wouldn't have Toyota corrolas and buick regals that would hand a 60s gto its lunch. Heck my pickup with give it a good run. Lets see you don't think Americans want performance but it does sell and you don't think americans want big trucks but they sell pretty well too. Matter of fact its you that's in the minority. Performance sells. Its why your mystical stripped 4 cly 2x4 pickup isn't even a viable market in this country.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
So far a the super high powered sports cars.... I see them as a state trooper magnet..
guess that bird don't fly either as the corvette, camaro, challenger, mustang didn't even make the list. Charger did but in its 6cyl version. Guess to many want to go woopteedo in there suburu. Seems lots of crazys drive prius's, malibu's and Mazda's!!!!! Thankfully theres no 4 cyl 2x4 pickups or wed have black marks on every street:tango_ face_smile_bi

These 22 Cars Attract The Most Speeding Tickets In The US
  • 22 Subaru Impreza 2.5L.
  • 21 Toyota Supra.
  • 20 Volkswagen GTI.
  • 19 Mazda 3.
  • 18 Dodge Charger SE/SXT.
  • 17 Nissan 350Z.
  • 16 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
  • 15 Infiniti QX80.
  • 14 Toyota Prius.
  • 13 Pontiac G8.
  • 12 Chevrolet Tahoe K1500.
  • 11 Ford Fusion S.
  • 10 Lincoln LS.
  • 9 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT.
  • 8 Mercedes-Benz C300.
  • 7 Lexus LS 400 Series.

Last edited by lloyd smale; 12-02-2019 at 10:35 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari is bringing out an SUV and makes a station wagon.
There has been talk of separating Corvette from Chevrolet.
Super tuner Corvettes are out there including the Callaway station wagon, to compete with the Ferrari station wagon.
As for the Camaro, the next one will determine is Chevy can get its head on straight, the odd thing is back when both hit the road, outside of Shelby most super tuner cars were Camaro where as now it is mostly Mustangs, not counting the Shelby which is really a straight out Ford product now.
The cars from Yenko, Nickey, Motion kept the Camaro name on the map while Shelby faded away to fwd crap wagons till Ford redid the Mustang.

That list of cars, there used to be a similar one on car colors most often pulled over and Yellow, which my Mustang was, was not even on the list but Red was number 1.
So now I try to get Yellow cars .

IG I love that video; it seems too many big bucks up people who drive the high buck sports car should be driving nothing faster than a moped.
The competition fail pictures, well, that is part of competing but they should VERY, VERY well the poor structural design that comes with FWD crap wagons.
The burn out with a cop too close, I did that once myself; the Officer told me to come to his car and asked me why I did that and I sheepishly said, because a girl asked me to.
He said , THAT I will believe , now DON'T do it again and let me go.

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 12-02-2019 at 07:03 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:07 AM

From Lloyd;

"
Thankfully everyone doesn't agree with your ironglow or we wouldn't have Toyota corrolas and buick regals that would hand a 60s gto its lunch. Heck my pickup with give it a good run. Lets see you don't think Americans want performance but it does sell and you don't think americans want big trucks but they sell pretty well too. Matter of fact its you that's in the minority. Performance sells. Its why your mystical stripped 4 cly 2x4 pickup isn't even a viable market in this country."

Golly Lloyd; I didn't expect many to agree with me ! That is why I prefaced my last post with "I guess I am too much the pragmatist"!. Lets face it, in most cases,
if a car will go 170mph, that is about 100mph more than one can use legally in most states in these United States.

Again, I didn't say"Americans don't want performance".. I only questioned the maturity of getting a car capable of 160mph, when our laws allow a max of 70mph !

I never said Americans don't want big trucks..certainly there are many trades and professions that call for those specifications. I only suggested that the average homeowner may only use his truck as a truck, perhaps 10% of the time..and almost never to it's maximum weight allowance..

I am used to being in the minority, because instead of searching for outrageous performance and great luxury, I enjoy the search for efficiency, far more than outright speed and power performance. Many are caught up in the performance thing, just like the super car drivers in the videos above.

To me, since most pickups now have plush carpets, obviously that is also a high demand item..and likely why some farmers, loggers, surveyors or forestry management experts, and land mover operators..have some mighty messy floors in their pickups.

..But it is a free country, and each has their free will, where trucks are considered.

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. (Alexander the Great)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
Again, I didn't say"Americans don't want performance".. I only questioned the maturity of getting a car capable of 160mph, when our laws allow a max of 70mph!
I obey speed limits if I absolutely have to.

RR
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
I obey speed limits if I absolutely have to.

Especially if you catch sight of the black & white cruiser sitting behind that bushy hedge....

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:39 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I haven't had a speeding ticket in 30 years and want to keep that streak going.

What makes no sense to me is we have seatbelt laws, airbag laws, child restraint laws and new vehicles are armed with alarms that will drive you nuts if you ignore one of the safety mandates. If one tire on my old Durango slips this swerving image comes on the dash to warn me that the road is slick. Yet the automakers are allowed to make vehicles on purpose that will push the 200 mph envelope and throw them on the road with all of those normal cars with all of those warnings. You can darn sure throw all of those warning devices right out the window if you get hit by a 16 year old snot nosed kid who's daddy thought it was pertinent to make Billy the most popular kid at school by getting him a rocket on wheels.

This is not a high dollar town at all but the high school parking lot tells the story. 5 Mustangs(one of them is a Roush Mustang), 3 Camaros and even a Toyota Supra all park in the north parking lot. Crazy how many parents that will get a second mortgage on their house so their kids can have a high social status. Most of those parents have no idea what their kids are doing in those cars either but I can hear them wind em up tight on the blacktop road at the north end of the football field. It's all craziness to me! However when I was their age I was the craziest of the lot! Funny how that perspective changes.

For what it's worth that Toyota Supra sounds the coolest when it is rapping out and shifting gears. I'm pretty sure that is one Toyota that won't make it 200,000 miles!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 07:55 AM

yup gpa the laws are made for political reasons period. its why the hypocritical state I live in demands I wear a seat belt in a car with air bags but a few years back changed the law and lets motorcylists throw there helmets away and war a bandana!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page