Tire question - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Default Tire question

I have a jeep wrangler and it's getting time to replace it's shoes. I would like some input on tires that are quite on the highway but able to handle some mud and a little snow. Nothing really aggressive is needed. I'm currently running 255/70/18 tires. I'm mostly interested in quite on highway as that is the majority of where it is driven but would like a bit more aggressive tread than normal street tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 02:02 PM

Oldandslow. Try the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar sidewall Wranglers. I run them on a 79 Blazer and the ZR2 S10.

These are relatively quiet and good handling on the road. Tough and great traction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	150EB52C-FE33-4BB3-8C8D-F316CBFEDACF_1578419856831.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	239358  

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 02:13 PM

Default Tire question

Falken wildpeak3tw (?). They come off as quite aggressive AT or slightly anemic off road. Iíve got 10,000 miles on mine now. Both commuting and a 3500 mile hunting trip to western CO.

You owe it to yourself to look into these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 08:51 PM

For an All Terrain tire.one we like is the General Grabber AT2.Good wear,Low noise and good snow traction.Don't think it would be the greatest mud tire,though.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 12:37 AM

BF Goodrich AT KO2. Probably the highest rated AT tire on the market. I run them on my F150 supercrew 4X4. Excellent traction in light snow and mud. Not much road noise. I have 55,000 miles on this set and they look as if I'll get another 15,000 before I hit the wear bars. The downside to them is the wet road traction leaves a bit to be desired and they have gotten noisier (but not excessive) as they wear, even though the wear pattern is very even.

Since I drive on wet roads a lot more than snow or mud I will replace then with Michelin defenders when these wear out. If I needed snow/mud capability more than I do now I would buy the BFG's again without hesitation.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 06:09 AM

bfg ko ats are never a bad choice. I wanted something a bit more aggressive on my jeep and went with nito ridge grapples. they have wore great and are great in mud and snow. Not as noisy as a mud tire but not as quiet as a car tire. Just a smidge louder then a bfg ko. I owned a set of Goodyear mt/r they go real loud as they got old. But check out a Goodyear duratrac. there a very popular tire up here in snow country. Probably see more of those on trucks and jeeps then all the other suggestions combined. Never owned them but guys say there quiet and have a bit better traction in all conditions then a Ko does. They our the Kos are what id do on a truck that was a daily driver. With my jeep that sees much more off road then my truck id stick with my nito ridge grapplers. They have been awesome so far and sure aren't what I call loud. Now live with a set of bfg mud terrains for a couple years and you will know loud!

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. Wow, when you go to 18" tires they get expensive. It's been quite some time since I bought a tire.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:27 AM

good tires cost. Go cheap you usually comprise either tread life, traction, noise, strength and in bigger tires balance. I stick with nito, cooper, bfg or Goodyear. Theres other good ones but those are the most popular off road tires. Yup there expensive. A set will run you a grand or more and that's just buying 4.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

I'm running Bridgestone all weather now and they have been excellent as to noise and pretty good getting around but they are close to being ancient when it comes to tire life. I sure don't want to have a tire come apart at 70 mph on that short wheelbased jeep so I think it's time to replace them. I want something that will handle our rare snowstorms a little better though. BFG and Goodyear look good. Got a brother-in-law that's run Goodyear for years on his jeep and a friend that runs BFG's on his 1/2 ton truck and both swear by their choice.. She who cooks has already stated that she doesn't want any cheap, junk tires on it. I could have told her I didn't plan to do that but just kept my silence. She knows I don't buy junk.

I asked the question because I'm not stuck on those two brands and wanted opinions about others.

Last edited by oldandslow; 01-09-2020 at 12:52 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:38 PM

Had good service from Cooper tires on my personal vehicles and on my company trucks used Michelin LTX's. The michelin's are more money but never had a problem with them on the highway or offroad.

wtxbadger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page