It looks like GM will use the 2.7 gas turbo in the Chevy Colorado but... - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 07:40 PM

Wind resistance may be a factor when your cruising at highway speed more than weight.

Anyway, I've owned the 5.3 Vortec and it was a great motor. It was good for over 200,000 and served me well. It always was good for 15 mpg city and 18 highway. Nothing remarkable. Just a good dependable motor. Here is the torque curve for the old 5.3 and the new 2.7. It looks like the 2.7 has more torque at a lower rpm than the old 5.3 I used to have. The new 4.3 v6 is about equal to the old 5.3 but still less than the new 2.7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DynoPull.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	244940  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-chevy-silverado-1500-power-torque-curve-1024x602.png
Views:	4
Size:	483.1 KB
ID:	244944  

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.

Last edited by Lt. Dave; 05-18-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 06:26 AM

have to agree with you on that. The 5.3 is a fantastic motor. one of the best v8s ever made but its not a torque monster. Its similar to what that little turbo will do. Mine empty driving 60 would easily get 21-22 but I don't have drilling mans luck, I put even my empty utv trailer on the back of it and it was instantly down to 12.

You need torque to get something moving and HP to keep it moving. Soon as you put a load on that little motor the trannys going to start downshifting and the waste gates going to close and the boost is going to raise and the mpg are going south. This new ram I have seems to have more power everywhere but no doubt some of that comes from the 391 gears and the 8 speed transmission vs the 6 speed and 321 gears the silverardo had. But like ive said so far the fuel economy has sucked in it. Best tank was 17 on the highway.

I don't worry to much because about the farthest we go is to town once a month to get grocerys and that's 60 miles away. Most of the use is round trip to my wifes job and that's only 10 miles a day. Were lucky to put 5k on the truck or the jeep every year. I think my son in law puts more miles on my trucks then I do. If it got 10mpg it wouldn't make the difference in how I live. Personaly id take power over fuel economy any day. I wish ram would put the 6.4 hemi in the half tons and if I would have decided on another Silverado it wouldn't have been the 4cyl, wouldn't have even been the 5.3. I was looking at a trail boss with a 6.2. Drove one and that's one healthy motor!! Just didn't like the near 60k price tag on it. Add to that the 6.2s are in such demand that they wouldn't knock a penny off the price. The ram we got for 44 out the door and it had a 55k sticker on it.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 05-19-2020 at 06:29 AM.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 09:42 AM

5.3L, 3.73 gears hi-way driving 65-70 empty,

It actually did even better on a longer trip I took...

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 04:35 AM

yup my 17 Silverado showed as high as 24 for a 100 mile stretch my 15 would do about the same. Easily averaged 20 combined city/hwy empty. thats as good or better then any of the jap 4 cyl and v6 4x4 trucks. ram hasn't gotten over 17 yet. Brother in laws new Toyota v8 gets about the same as my ram.

Last edited by lloyd smale; 05-20-2020 at 04:37 AM.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 09:54 PM

My brothers new dodge gets 18 on the hi side, according to him...

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 05:05 AM

My brother in law has a 3/4 ton with the 6.4 hemi and said hes lucky to get 14 empty! Wonder why those hemi don't get the fuel economy a Ls motor gets. Sure is a sweet running and sounding motor with lots of grunt. They seem from what ive heard to hold up for the long run too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page