It looks like GM will use the 2.7 gas turbo in the Chevy Colorado but... - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Default It looks like GM will use the 2.7 gas turbo in the Chevy Colorado but...

Looks like GM will use use their 2.7 gas turbo full size truck engine in their mid sized pickups but It will be the only engine used. Gone will be the 2.8 diesel and The V6. https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...st-one-engine/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 09:51 PM

That's great. I think this confirms that GM thinks the 2.7 turbo 4 is a solid engine. A lightweight 300 hp engine in a Colorado sounds like a good fit. They tried the 5.3 v8 a few years back but it was not a good fit as the Colorado was even smaller back then. I believe the 2.7 weighs 150 to 200 lb less.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 07:11 AM

that diesel Colorado made me shake my head. it was a 4 cyl and got worse fuel economy then the 6 cyl diesel in the full sized 1/2 ton. I do think that the Colorado is the ideal platform for the turbo 4.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 03:06 PM

How good this is will be found out 50 to 80 thousand miles from now.
As I said , my cousin's 4 banger in his ute went out just short of warranty expiring.
Time will tell.

RR
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 07:05 AM

yup bob might be the greatest thing since sliced bread but ill let it lay out a bit and see how long it takes to mold. truthfully id have rather seen a smaller (say 4.5 liter) all aluminum version of the 5.3 v8 that put out 300 naturally asperated hp or put that money into an all aluminum naturaly asperated v6 at the same hp level. some will say its built to take the pressures and stresses of a turbo. I say why not built it just as tough and make it a bit bigger and do it without the turbos. It would make sense that it would be just that much more long lasting and reliable. In the real world of working a truck it would probably get better mpg to boot. Most of these projects are just attempts at getting corporates gas mileage figures in line with government mandates. If they can pull good numbers cruising down the road empty at 55 then they can slap a number on it that uncle sam will approve of. Guess though in the big picture it had a much better home in the Colorado then in the Silverado and that 2.8 liter diesel wont be missed by anyone. I guess me for one wonders why? I had a loner Colorado for two weeks with the v6 in it and its had LOTS of power and got great fuel mileage. No turbo or super charger needed. If I remember right after two weeks of my wife driving it back and forth to work and the 4 trips to the dealer because they didn't fix my truck right gave us a combined gas mileage of 25. Already hands down better them most of the 4cyl jap trucks get. But then I still wonder why Gm got rid of the old 3.8 v6. that motor about ran for ever and got 30mpg in a full sized car like a delta 88 or a buick la saber. 20 years later and theres still nothing that will do better in a full sized car.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 09:50 AM

Last year, I got rid of my 2006 GMC 4wd 1/2 ton, with 112.000 miles on it, that was literally falling apart. Didn't want to pay the stupid high prices for a new, or near new full size pick up, so found a used 2017 Ford Escape AWD with the 2.0 turbo motor with 50k miles for a good price. My first turbo, I am still on the fence. It is quick and smooth, would probably give my V8 GMC a run for the money in the 1/4 mile. Probably quicker. Hard to get used to the high revs compared to a V8, but that's just the nature of the beast. Will the turbo and motor hold up? Put 10k on it so far, no problems.

A mechanic I trust told me the most important things you can do for turbo longevity is use good synthetic oil, and change it often. Also, when you are done driving, let the vehicle idle for about a minute before turning it off. That lets the oil in the turbo cool off a little, and prevents burnt oil / carbon from building up in the turbo, greatly extending its life.

With the good deals right now, and 0% financing being offered, I am looking at a new Ford 1/2 ton P/U. I like that little Escape, but its capacity is limited, and it cant tow my boat. Great in the snow, but not really off road tough, I don't think.

Larry

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 07:58 PM

I pretty much hate the little pizzant motors, no matter how much hp they wind out of them!

My 4 banger Colorado is the last 4 banger I'll have in a pu, I sure as he!! wouldn't want a full size with a 4 banger, and the V6 in the Colorado is a good motor. I'm really sorry to see it go!

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 08:41 PM

That 2.7 4 cyl turbo is a big upgrade from the 5 cyl motor I had in my Colorado. I think it's an upgrade over the 6 cylinder motor also for torque and hp. Going to have to give one a try. Always wanted a turbo for high altitude. 10,000 feet will bog most naturally aspirated motors down to 70% their sea level hp. The turbos seem to climb up the passes without down shifting while maintain torque and keeping rpms lower.

Back in the good old days I had a 2.0 liter carbureted 4 cyl motor in a Ford Courier. I always had to downshift to 3rd gear and barely made 45 mph going up the high passes. That motor was only good for 66 hp! We've come a long way since then.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 11:55 AM

My experience has been, the pizzant motors only get good fuel economy when driving around empty, put a load in or behind one and you are better off with a V8!!

I pulled this load home a couple days ago,

My Silverado 5.3 V8 got 22 mpg over the hundred mile trip. My Colorado wouldn't do any better than that (IF, even that good) pulling ONE of those logs in my small aluminum trailer!

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 03:32 PM

So far, I’m really liking the 3.6 V6 motor. Just bought a 2019 extended cab ZR2 with 1400 miles. A couple traded it in for a crew cab version.

It looks like GM will use the 2.7 gas turbo in the Chevy Colorado but...-261d6ec2-9c0a-486e-9d45-6c90657e6d59_1589396710226.jpg

These are neat mid size trucks. 308 HP with a 8 speed transmission. The ZR2 has a wider track, lifted, heavier axles, locking front and rear differentials and Formula 1 type extended travel shocks. Handles wicked tight on the road.

Averaging about 21 MPG which is about what the 3/4 ton Duramax delivers on the highway. I’m keeping the transfer case in 2 high vs 4 auto which is a version of full time 4wd splitting torque between the front and rear axles.

The additional torque from a turbo would be welcome but these V6’s are nice motors and don’t seem high strung moving down the road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page