rocky hunting boots with bad soles- old news to me - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:24 PM

Gun Cabinet
Send a message via AIM to Preacherman Send a message via MSN to Preacherman Send a message via Yahoo to Preacherman
Default Rocky Boots

They are junk, last 2 or 3 pairs I bought leaked even if it just clouded up, these were work boots. Went with Danner, then to Keen, Keen held up the best.

Acts10:13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:52 PM

A local sporting goods store was going out of business and put a bunch of stuff on sale. There were two pair of boots, not Rockys but Wolverines, the first time I wore them I noticed they were leaving black material behind, and when I stepped in a shallow puddle, my entire foot got wet. I went inside and noticed they had split from one side to the other where my foot flexed, on both boots. By that time, the store was closed down, so I called the manufacturer who requested a pic, not of the sole, but of the label on the tongue. Seems they will only warranty their boots for a short amount of time, so my new old stock boots were useless. And because of the way the sole was constructed, I could not even get them resoled.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:12 PM

Had two pair that the sole split on. First pair were several years old so I figured ehh probably caused because they got too hot trying to warm my feet up next to the fire at hunting camp. 2nd pair were less than 6 months old and hadn't been near a fire. The split was clean so I super glued it which held until the replacement set of Danners showed up. Haven't bought any rockys since then. Most of the Danners now are made off shore, so I'll likely change boot makers again.

350 Legend, Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Aww, Thanks Winchester!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

i'll add another-
i had a pair of Rocky Fort Hood that had very little
use that were stashed in a closet. the last time i wore
them i noticed the sole started to separate from the
upper. i glued the seam with some fairly good contact
cement and put them away. i wore them yesterday
pushing a lawnmower around and after about 20
minutes literally walked out of the soles.
FWIW i've some of those import jungle boots that
have lasted longer than any of the rocky boots i've
ever had, and they were only $15.00-$20.00, and
i've almost worn the soles slick on them.

shoddy shoddy shoddy

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:32 PM

I owned and operated an army surplus store for 20 yrs. I sold rocky boots as well as many other brands. Rockys were very popular and all of the law enforcement officers wore them. I think it was in the mid to late eighties and nineties that I sold Rockys. I had good luck with them for the most part. Police officers would wear them out fairly fast but didn't mind because they were light and comfortable. I closed the store in 1999 and took a pair of 800 gram thinsulate camo hunting boots home. I haven't worn them and they have been in the original box in my basement since I closed the store. About a year ago I got them out to wear turkey hunting. The soles have turned to black mush just sitting in the box. I thought about contacting the co. but I know they won't do anything. I can have them resoled and I will because they are still new. When you buy outdoor boots try to get Vibram if you can, wears good. I sold a lot of pairs of Rockys because people liked them but they weren't very durable.

mike
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger99 View Post
i'll add another-
i had a pair of Rocky Fort Hood that had very little
use that were stashed in a closet. the last time i wore
them i noticed the sole started to separate from the
upper. i glued the seam with some fairly good contact
cement and put them away. i wore them yesterday
pushing a lawnmower around and after about 20
minutes literally walked out of the soles.
FWIW i've some of those import jungle boots that
have lasted longer than any of the rocky boots i've
ever had, and they were only $15.00-$20.00, and
i've almost worn the soles slick on them.

shoddy shoddy shoddy
I sold a zillion pair of those imported jungle boots, made in korea then. I think I sold them for either 19.99 or 29.99 I know they were about half the price of issue jungle boots. They were actually pretty good and held up. I just went down stairs and looked at the rockys, still have the tags, in the box. The price is on the box and they were $150. 20 yrs ago. They are the Gortex, 800 gram thinsulate which was the heaviest insulation at that time. There has been a big difference in how shoes are made. Maybe you have heard the term "goodyear welt" that is how shoes and boots were made yrs ago. The shoe is sewn to a upper sole and then the outer sole is sewn to that. That enabled a shoe to be resoled. Now the shoe is bonded to a sole so when the sole wears out there is no fix to them. The workboots I sold (mostly Carolina) were all made in the USA, I'm not sure any are made in the states now. Wolverine is just up the road by Grand Rapids and I think their shoes are all imported now.

mike
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:48 AM

Red Wing, last I heard , has some made here if we want to pay the difference between cheap, off shore labor and supporting our own brothers and sisters here.
Sounds good on the outside, and yet they shut out our little Amish country Store in Kalona
from selling Red Wings after they crowded the area with factory owned stores in Coralville and Cedar Rapids, as if a tiny, unknown, little store in the country was a threat to them.
So I am looking for a good brand to make my own soon.

I know the old Red Wing salesman we had was due to retire and new,young sales people will break long term successful relationships for a little bit of convenience on their part.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page