Ahoy Fly Fisher Folks - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Default Ahoy Fly Fisher Folks

Just got a call from the Chairman of the board of the Fly Fishing Museum Of The Southern
Appalachians, to inform me that my Grandpa's E. C. Powell split bamboo flyrod is now on display in the museum.
I am pumped.
Of all my Grandpa's grandsons, he chose me to teach the art of the flyrod.
The picture is laying on its left side.
********** Quick fixed it for me ***********

On the bottom of the the case, the right rear is a small blue book written by the rod maker.
to the left of that is a picture of my Grandpa netting a trout in Arizona.
On the left rear, is my Grandpa's leather fly wallet showing the white felt that holds the flies.
In the foreground is my Grandpa holding some trout in front of his old Jeep wagon.
Attached Images

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.

Last edited by bugeye; 02-11-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:31 AM

Nice piece of family history bug.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
Nice piece of family history bug.
Thanks, I had my first lesson on that rod on 7-4-48 at Bay Creek Illinois.
We caught rock bass.
It led to a lifetime of flyfishing. I am honored.

Because of that, I authored a book titled "When Grandpa Came To Town."
I'm gonna have a few copies made for family.

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:17 AM

Looks a lot like my dad's rod that I took lessons on in the mid 50's. Unfortunately that rod was not preserved (my bad) and I've regretted that forever. It led me into a lifetime of fishing. Thanks for the memories, and thanks dad for the lessons. Back in those days it was what MEN did...bird hunting and fly fishing. I soon was raiding the chicken house for feathers and mom's sewing basket for other essentials to tie my own flies. You just never forget the elation acquired by catching your first fish on a fly that you tied. Doesn't matter that it was only a bluegill...bluegills on the fly remains my favorite still today. That reminds me, it's about time for my grandson's next lesson...come on springtime.
Walt
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Bug, I might be interested in a copy of your book if you have extras to sell.

Hopalong, when I was a kid the local tackle shop had a employ that was somewhat renound locally. He gave lessons on fly fishing and fly tiring. My uncle ran a eggs farm and he supplied me with chicken feathers and possum hides from the egg farm. Charlie my cat and taffy my dog both contributed on a regular basis. I did not have a commercial fly tiring vise but I improvised one using an exact carving knife. Life was good back in the 50s is the southlands.

Byron

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong7 View Post
Looks a lot like my dad's rod that I took lessons on in the mid 50's. Unfortunately that rod was not preserved (my bad) and I've regretted that forever. It led me into a lifetime of fishing. Thanks for the memories, and thanks dad for the lessons. Back in those days it was what MEN did...bird hunting and fly fishing. I soon was raiding the chicken house for feathers and mom's sewing basket for other essentials to tie my own flies. You just never forget the elation acquired by catching your first fish on a fly that you tied. Doesn't matter that it was only a bluegill...bluegills on the fly remains my favorite still today. That reminds me, it's about time for my grandson's next lesson...come on springtime.
Walt
Keep them flyrods waving.
I tied my first fly using vise-grips for a tying vise, and I guess I've caught a jillion bluegills on the flyrod.
Your grandson is a lucky boy to have a flyfishing Grandpa.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
Bug, I might be interested in a copy of your book if you have extras to sell.

Hopalong, when I was a kid the local tackle shop had a employ that was somewhat renound locally. He gave lessons on fly fishing and fly tiring. My uncle ran a eggs farm and he supplied me with chicken feathers and possum hides from the egg farm. Charlie my cat and taffy my dog both contributed on a regular basis. I did not have a commercial fly tiring vise but I improvised one using an exact carving knife. Life was good back in the 50s is the southlands.
I'm only going to make four copies. for my wife, daughter, niece, and baby brother.
It's an autobiography beginning 4-19-43, my birthday, and it covers trapping, squirrel hunting, rabbit hunting, killing hogs, my mom's cooking, and of course fishing.

So instead of reading mine, you should write one for your family, I'm sure they'd thank you for it. Once you start the first chapter, it goes like a house afire, and it'll be a very satisfying en-devour.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 11:37 AM

Bugeye, that's neat that you have your grandad's bamboo fly rod. That's what they had before fiberglass, you have a family treasure.

mike
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike$ View Post
Bugeye, that's neat that you have your grandad's bamboo fly rod. That's what they had before fiberglass, you have a family treasure.

mike
Well, it's not mine any more. I donated it to the museum. But it has my name and my Grandpa's name on the display case.
And when I get up there in the spring, I'm gonna have mine and my wife's name put on the aquarium as museum supporters.

Mike, I still have the first fiberglass rod I bought as a kid. 7' 9" 7wt
and I have a 12' high-sticking rod I built myself. 6wt.

All the others are in new homes, mainly to nephews.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
I'm only going to make four copies. for my wife, daughter, niece, and baby brother.
It's an autobiography beginning 4-19-43, my birthday, and it covers trapping, squirrel hunting, rabbit hunting, killing hogs, my mom's cooking, and of course fishing.

So instead of reading mine, you should write one for your family, I'm sure they'd thank you for it. Once you start the first chapter, it goes like a house afire, and it'll be a very satisfying en-devour.
Self published books are quite expensive. So I probably won’t write my memoirs. One of the school teachers in Metlakatla wrote his and had it self published. He paid for a professional proof reader but that never was done. His book was a real failure. He ended up with cases of books that nobody would buy.

Byron

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page