One person meals for camping/hiking - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 AM

Default Re: One person meals for camping/hiking

Lot depends on what type of camping you're doing. If your car camping and just hiking during the day from your base camp you can eat just as good as you can at home in the morning and evening and have something real quick and easy for lunch. If you're strictly backpacking you can still eat good with freeze dried food - as long as you have access to plenty of water and a way to purify it.

Like was said, Mountain House meals are good, but quite expensive. The grocery store is full of dehydrated foods if you browse around. You just have to repackage them to suit your needs. My opinion of most of the single serving stuff in the grocery stores is they are not very appetizing, and are expensive.
It's surprising how well you can eat if you use your imagination. For example, I don't like oatmeal without milk so I used to take some powdered milk and add it to instant oatmeal when I mixed the water in. Always took some Bisquick. You can rig up a reflector oven with some aluminum foil or just fry up some dough in a pan for bannock (take some cooking oil - olive oil or whatever your preference).

If you've been surviving on Ramen noodles ANYTHING will be an improvement! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce
Lot depends on what type of camping you're doing. If your car camping and just hiking during the day from your base camp you can eat just as good as you can at home in the morning and evening and have something real quick and easy for lunch. If you're strictly backpacking you can still eat good with freeze dried food - as long as you have access to plenty of water and a way to purify it.

Like was said, Mountain House meals are good, but quite expensive. The grocery store is full of dehydrated foods if you browse around. You just have to repackage them to suit your needs. My opinion of most of the single serving stuff in the grocery stores is they are not very appetizing, and are expensive.
It's surprising how well you can eat if you use your imagination. For example, I don't like oatmeal without milk so I used to take some powdered milk and add it to instant oatmeal when I mixed the water in. Always took some Bisquick. You can rig up a reflector oven with some aluminum foil or just fry up some dough in a pan for bannock (take some cooking oil - olive oil or whatever your preference).

If you've been surviving on Ramen noodles ANYTHING will be an improvement! :
HAHa LOL !! Amen Brother
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwoodduck
What about getting a vaccume sealer and sealing up single servings of what you like to boiler in the canteen cup and reheat. Like chilli, beef stew, spegetti / lazagna, or boneless roast chicken mashed potatoes, and zuccini all in their own puch and dump them into a frisbee (best camping plate ever).
Souds good ,but dont you have to refrigerate after you seal the bag??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwoodduck
What about getting a vaccume sealer and sealing up single servings of what you like to boiler in the canteen cup and reheat. Like chilli, beef stew, spegetti / lazagna, or boneless roast chicken mashed potatoes, and zuccini all in their own puch and dump them into a frisbee (best camping plate ever).
Souds good ,but dont you have to refrigerate after you seal the bag??
Depending on the time of year and temperatures, you could freeze the bags at home. Put one in your pack in the morning and when you are ready to eat it will be defrosted and ready to re-heat. If you want to keep them frozen longer wrap in a sweater or sleeping bag, etc.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 PM

I'm big on the freeze dry, but I usually camp several miles from nothing and pack in. Everything you need or want on your back. As I've gotten older, weight means more, so the lighter the better. I don't even take the butane stove if I'm solo, I use a tin can hobo stove, and a canteen cup as my only cooking utensils.

Mountain House is not just good, it's probably the best of the freeze dry lot. You can buy it in #10 cans, and parcel it out in zip locks to save money. The only thing is it must be resealed well if you don't eat it all soon.

Ben

Where is the ammo?
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 01:56 AM

I'm sorta partial to a pull tab can of Hormel chili, and a plastic spoon. I generally serve it at room temperature.

I have gotten so sick and tired of slick meat sandwiches over the years I'll take **** near anything out of the fridge and eat it at work cold. Sort of an acquired taste I suppose but I don't bother taking the time even when a microwave is available. Ice crystals is a different story though that gets nasty, I've got to be pretty danged hungry to eat frozen chili.

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger99
[size=78%]i'll admit i like the m.r.e.'s iv'e had, but [/size]
they seem too salty and greasy for me.

That's because they're designed for sweating, running 20 year-olds in combat. Us oldsters would get fat on the high calories in MREs PDQ.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 05:16 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

just for grins, while at the dollar store,
looked at possible one shot non-perishables.
water packed tuna and chicken in foil packs.
plenty of variety of sardines and kipper snacks.
(i love 'em-and good for you) cracker packs.
chicken and tuna salad with crackers indiv. packs.
ind. cookie and peanut butter and cheese cracker
packs. canned beef. canned chicken breast. dried vegetable
soup packs. ramens dried vegetables.
individual mashed potatoes. indiv. macaroni and cheese.
bunches of options

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

I have been playing at home with different dried foods and they were not bad,still have to try this Coleman Max Patch Mac & Cheese I bought. But then a Catastrophe happend at work,I broke out with a bad Gout attack. Never before has this happend to me and has caught me off guard. Dam it hurts!!! So now the Doc has me on a Gout Diet and from what I can see all the good stuff I cant have,so will have to rethink my position. Between the Gout and the diet it kinda makes me want to poll over and Die!! Ah! but I can still have Buttermilk LOL!
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:06 PM

Gout now that is an attention getter. You will find your life devoted to stopping that chit.

I changed my BP meds and the crap went away for all intents and purposes. My diet had changed mostly by that time and I be double damned if I'll press my luck too far. I was getting light flares every couple months with the suspect PB meds none for over a year now that the script was changed.

Moral here is think about any changes in the past 6 months or so took a good year before my first attack, then they became worse and more frequent over three years.

Hows that for a thread drift. Sorry

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page