Graybeard Outdoors banner

Good gear pack for travel and climbing

753 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Lt. Dave 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm looking for some climbing gear essential for travel and climbing both. What are you guys you use for your climbing, rock climbing?
Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks

#2 ·
My daughter was commenting recently how pleased she is with her Osprey travel pack. It separates into a day pack and main pack if need be. The straps are well hidden when used as a piece of luggage.

It’s made multiple trips into South America and the Caribbean islands. By no stretch of the imagination is she a rock climber. She’s put in a stint in the Peace Corp and led a couple student trips as well as her own travels. After her experience her husband got one for himself, it’s an updated model, but very similar. Not as many fiddley pockets as I understand it.

I’m going out on a limb here. If you can use rock climbing in a sentence you are more experienced than pretty much everyone here.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

#3 ·
Typically a smaller pack is best for climbing. All my packs are older and not current models. REI is your best bet. Here is one I would consider:

https://www.rei.com/product/148594/rei-co-op-flash-22-pack

Has the ice axe loop and haul strap on top. Everything else like outside pockets is personal preference. I prefer fewer things to snag if your going to haul a pack up a rock wall tied to a rope.

My old favorites are Millet and REI packs. Crampon patches are nice for mountain climbing. Good luck with your adventures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.