Thanksgiving dinner recap - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Default Thanksgiving dinner recap

We went out to Timber Lodge restaurant and I had a burger with fries. It was very good. I had been wanting a good steakhouse-made grilled burger for quite some time, and this was it. I added ketchup and mustard, but probably should have skipped the mustard because the meat was so good that the flavor of the meat was masked by the mustard. I guess I'll just have to go try it again some day soon and not put the mustard on it. The fries were very good. Relatively thick cut just the way I like them.

Not exactly traditional fare, but we were visiting and traveling.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 10:17 AM

Gun Cabinet
Default Re: Thanksgiving dinner recap

My spatchcock turkey came out very good, white and dark meat cooked perfectly and still juicy. 8) The giblet gravy was okay but not as "turkey" as I'd like it. But that was my fault. :-[

I was pleasantly surprised with my dressing (Cooked out of the bird). I have always done stuffing (in the bird) so it can absorb the juices. So, this time I covered the dressing (in the bowl) with the turkey backbones, trimmed fat and skin before I put it in the oven. TA DA!! ;D

Now to make turkey soup. :

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

You've certainly got me slavering and drooling for some good giblet gravy and mashed taters.

By the way, I always cook the dressing outside of the bird. Never anything inside the body cavity because I don't want to have to cook the breast any longer than I have to. D=D. Dried breast meat=Deezaster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 11:01 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
Dried breast meat=Deezaster.
Exactly! A malady that has plagued me for years! That's what got me cooking the turkey breast side down.

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlLaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
Dried breast meat=Deezaster.
Exactly! A malady that has plagued me for years! That's what got me cooking the turkey breast side down.
I cook the breast and legs separately. They cook at different rates. Since we carve the meat in the kitchen, and platter it for the dining room, it's not an issue. The bigger the bird, the more benefit I get from this technique. Generally though, I like the 12 pounders because they're big enough, and because they cook fast, and they seem to have better taste and texture than the bigger birds.

I know that a lot of people also tent the breast or brine the birds or roast the birds breast side down. From what I've been able to gather, all of the techniques work fine, but what they have in common is that you can't just throw the bird in the oven and expect it to be at its best. I've also heard from people that use those turkey roasting bags, and they are supposed to work pretty well too, but I have not tried one.

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/reci...en-bag-turkey/

Turkey isn't just for Thanksgiving. I like to get the breast of a 10 to 15 pounder to the "done" temperature, then take the breast (with wings attached) out of the oven to rest. And will roast the lets longer. I did a post here about my 3 skillet method that works for 10 to 15 pounders. Wouldn't work for a 25 pounder unless you have two humongous skillets or a huge oven. I think my skillets are 14" diameter lodge cast iron skillets.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 11:52 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
I cook the breast and legs separately.
I never tried that. :-\ And now i don't need to! ;D For some reason on a spatchcocked bird the breast is right at 165 the same time the thighs are 175.

Quote:
I like the 12 pounders because they're big enough, and because they cook fast, and they seem to have better taste and texture than the bigger birds.
Me also! I cooked two 12 pounders this year.

Quote:
I know that a lot of people also tent the breast or brine the birds or roast the birds breast side down.
Actually, heretofore I used all those techniques when I roasted one. And I'm here to tell you that this s'**** method is a lot easier! And the only thing you loose is the Norman Rockwell turkey on a platter presentation.

Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 12:43 PM

Back when Mom and Dad were still around, I cooked the turkey the six or seven years they were both alive.
We used an old aluminum high side roasting pan, oval shaped, which was great for making the gravy in but had minimum air circulation so I would cook the turkey breast down for x minutes and then flip it over and finish it breast up finally using the broiler for extra browning.

The last fifteen years or so I have had an auto-on oven and would sometimes sleep too late, even if I got up at six to put the turkey in, this sometimes happened, and by the time I got back to the turkey trying to pick it up to flip it was a semi-disaster to simply near impossible as the meat was falling off of the bones.
Now as no one cared about having the fancy presentation for a long time so that made no real difference but was annoying.
The turkey juice though left in the pot after those semi-Chinese fire drill roasting scenarios was far, far better than when all went according to Hoyle.
It made some beyond fantastic gravy.
One thing that made it a bit harder was my significant other, even when there were a lot fewer people, insisted on making so many side dishes, and no matter which house we were in, the kitchen was small, that there was not enough room on the stove, in the oven or in the room and it was hectic.

When I roast a turkey, I miss home made turkey, a few days from now, I have one of those cheap open roasting pans I found at my aunts place.
I am going to try one of those for the first time.

RR
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 02:21 PM

Gun Cabinet

Some fried our turkey for us and I seasoned it. I missed the mark due to kids consideration and it was a might bland. I may try a oil less fryer next year. But everything was great . and I really like black Friday leftovers....... you know what is the best and can avoid the fillers.

or else...................

God Bless America and Donald Trump !
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 10:39 AM

As I stated in another thread my kids (now grown with their own kids) do not care for traditional fare on Thanksgiving so we usually have steak. It's actually cheaper when you add all the other tradition foods to it normal one.

Too soon old . . . Too late smart.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpshaw View Post
As I stated in another thread my kids (now grown with their own kids) do not care for traditional fare on Thanksgiving so we usually have steak. It's actually cheaper when you add all the other tradition foods to it normal one.
I would find this odd but some people just do not really like turkey plus cooking a turkey takes time and effort to do one that has flavour and is juicy.

Steak can be made in minutes depending on how one likes it.
Stuffing has been turned into something out of a box easily done by most.
The lack of mashed potatoes and gravy would get a mediocre response from me although one can make gravy from steak but then that adds a fair amount of time.

RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page