New Years eve dinners - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Default New Years eve dinners

Got a couple planned. Pork butt has been marinating since yesterday, will go in the smoker tomorrow morning, then in the crock pot for pulled pork. Vinegar and seasonings are the marinade. Seems like the sauce for the pork in the crock pot always gets to thin. Maybe take the lid off for a couple hours and let it steam off? Just ladle it out? Any suggestions?
I call this my ''Saphire'' dish.(From the old Amos and Andy show) Collard greens and ham. Pulled a ham with bone out of the freezer, will put in a big pot with the greens and slow boil for a couple hours. Any suggestions as to what spices to add? Usually enough flavor from the ham, but I'm willing to try something new. gypsyman

We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!! Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:32 AM

Gun Cabinet

Oh how I remember Amos and Andy long before TV only radio Wife and I buy 5 pounds of steamed shrimp we eat and sit and watch all the nuts fighting the crowds and listen to the red necks firing their guns at midnight What they don't realize that the bullet fired in the air comes back down with enough power to kill you Happy new Year

It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:18 AM

I'll be having my cabbage and blackeyed peas. Oh, I stay up till midnight every New Years. That's midnight in Montevedeo, Uruquay or Eastern Newfoundland. Yeah, that's about 9 O'clock at my house.

Too soon old . . . Too late smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:19 AM

^^^^^^ A Brother from another Mother ^^^^^

ourway77
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:58 AM

Blackeyed peas and cornbread.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:59 AM

Sounds GOOD Gypsy!!

My wife and I are hosting and I am doing the cookin' this year.

On the menu this year: I have small Angus rib eye steaks, Venison loin, marinating. Also making Chicken Cordon bleu. Green Bean casserole, Glazed baby Carrots, Asparagus & Dirty red smashed potatoes. Then momma picked up those roll up buttery Pillsbury brisket things. For finger food it will be, cold Shrimp W/horseradish sauce, Buffalo Chicken dip, Shrimp dip, Salsa, Salsa chips, A Vegi platter & lastly some cocktail weenies wrapped in dough.

New Years for us is usually just four couples, some years only three, always at least two. We rotate homes. Some of us have gone thru high school. Others work acquaintances others still neighbors. ALL have become family. As the children grown, some where included if they wanted. Now they are all but one gone to there own homes and have families and friends of there own. So now, we are back to how we did it almost thirty years ago...just us adults. (I use that term loosely when including myself) We are ALL very close friends having been to each others weddings, our kids christenings, first communions, bar mitzvah's and weddings, we have been to some of our own parents funerals, Suffice it to say, these folks are my family of choice. Equally needless to say, this is my favorite holiday next to Thanksgiving. Difference being one is family your born into and other is family you choose.

I would like to wish all a joyous and SAFE holiday. PLEASE remember at grace to wish all those who cannot be home and who are working so WE CAN do what we do on New Years.

May God Bless everyone,

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpshaw View Post
I'll be having my cabbage and blackeyed peas. Oh, I stay up till midnight every New Years. That's midnight in Montevedeo, Uruquay or Eastern Newfoundland. Yeah, that's about 9 O'clock at my house.

+1...same party animal here !!

sea-ya.....

Out of all the things I have lost I miss my sanity almost as much as my hearing and sight.
It don't matter cause I don't mind or is it I lost that too........

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an opinion.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:16 AM

Gun Cabinet
Talking

We should start a club or sumpn. by midnight I have already woke myself up snoring at least once!

Gman that all sounds good all I can add is "think seasoning" salt and red pepper is my weakness. not too much , but it has to have some zing.

or else...................

God Bless America and Donald Trump !

Last edited by oldshooter; 12-30-2016 at 11:19 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 01:21 PM

A little bit of cornstarch to stiffen it?

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:18 PM

New Years Eve is one holiday I rarely go out.
I still miss sitting at home with dad watching Guy Lombardo.

Went to a Bingo Parlor a few years ago, they had free pizza buffet, now that was a good night even though we never won.
Sadly it closed two years ago.

This year going to one of the few truly good local eateries around St.Cloud , Mn, Coyote Moon, and enjoying a prime rib buffet, then going to a movie and at midnight will shoot off a few fireworks.
I still miss Guy Lombardo.

RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page