Are things saltier now? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
I sometimes use Mrs Dash its accually some pretty good stuff.

I like to try some different herbs and spices and like to linger over the spice section at the supermarket. I remember mrs dash from long ago. Recently I observed that they are now like the Crest toothpaste company, where they used to have one product that was trusted and popular. Now they have all kinds of variants on toothpaste, like whitening and gel etc,. Too confusing so I quit buying Crest. Same with mrs dash. They have a lot of different products with the mrs dash branding. I also had that experience with V8 juice recently. There's got to be ten different kinds of it now, and I had a hard time figuring out which one was "good ol v8". They call it "original", but the packages all look alike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
My wife handles restaurant requests by asking me questions like this: What would you like for supper? We can either go to Panera or to Hunan Garden.

That way non-restaurants are completely eliminated from the conversation, and I know that she wants to go to either of two particular restaurants.
Makes for a pretty easy choice.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
I suppose when we cut back at home, which we should, it becomes more noticeable when we do encounter it.
You just let the Geenie out of the bottle.

Certain ham's are very salty and probably should not be used for sandwiches without a desalting soak. Places that sell these hams whole tell you they must be soaked.
I have never found an restaurant that has exceedingly salty food that I can recollect but I have noticed some bags of chips and corn chips are exceedingly salty even to me.
I have fund that sometimes I find the food when eating out horridly lacking in salt but it is better to have to add as you cannot remove.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:59 AM

Salt is a cheap way to get food to taste better (to some). However, my comeback to all the pre-salted foods is that the plant used to remove salt from food only works on liquid, the final product is water and it usually cost a few million. The item used to put salt into or onto food cost 57 cents at Fred's.

Too soon old . . . Too late smart.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:28 AM

Salt is used way less that it was in days past as they used it as their only chemical food preservative. If you look at canning or food storing recipes of generations past, there is an unbelievable amount of salt in there.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:29 AM

Red face

I think this thread has become too salty!

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskin View Post
Salt is used way less that it was in days past as they used it as their only chemical food preservative. If you look at canning or food storing recipes of generations past, there is an unbelievable amount of salt in there.
That's true, things like salt pork and salt cured bacon have tons of salt in them.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
I sometimes use Mrs Dash its accually some pretty good stuff.

True.. This is some of the most misunderstood seasoning around. Mostly because most think that since it was brought out as a salt substitute it cannot be used with salt. I use it on baked chicken all the time and on baked potato rounds that I sprinkle with a salt substitute afterwards. Great stuff with or without salt.

Too soon old . . . Too late smart.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:06 AM

Conan, since I know you're a music geek here's a salty song for you:

The band is an obscure 60's rock band from Massachusetts named Lazy Smoke, they only pressed about 500 copies of this album so it goes for big money on the collector's market. The singer sounds exactly like John Lennon. The guitarist still plays locally to this day in the New England area.

The guitarist was also in this band called Euclid with a good friend of my father, they cut this album in 1970. My father's friend Gary was the singer. I have a beat up copy of the album that my parents played to death when I was a kid:

The guitarist was later in a band with the guy who taught me how to play bass, I don't think they ever recorded though.

Liberal Logic 101:

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll check them out when I get to a place where I can watch videos.

I like the album picture, but my favorite album cover is:
http://cdn77.sadanduseless.com/wp-co...ard-album1.jpg

Although this one is very good too:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...3618b93908.jpg

This one is really creepy
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-i9FHfKo-WZ...AAC_Puppet.jpg

But there are lots of others that are fun.
https://www.google.com/search?q=funn...f9DNM:&spf=198

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page