Graybeard Outdoors banner

Fast food restaurants

2K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  conan the librarian 
#1 ·
My wife & I gave up on McDonalds a couple years ago. Their food just don't taste good anymore.

This week Wendy's and Burger King both had a sheet of buy 1 get 1 free items in the flyers they send out weekly. So I bought Wendy's single deluxurgers one day and BK whopper jr with fries the next. I liked the Wendy's burger better.
Next day I bought Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich and the orgional chicken BK sandwich the next. Wendy's wins hands down for me on this comparison.

Wendy's even beats pages a local root bear burger joint in town. Pages does have good root bear though.

I have a Hardys gift card guess I'll try them next. Since my wife is in Alaska visiting the kids I'm eating out more.

#18 ·
There is a locally-owned fast food burger place near us. The owner, who has been in business for years and probably could have retired long ago, hires local kids with the idea that he is a mentor to them. I have the impression that they are more important to him than profit. A lot of the locals have been taught how to work by him.

Side note. Everyone is referred to as 'sir' and 'ma'am'. That does not happen at MacDonald's.

And the food is ok, but he does a pretty good business from simple loyalty.

#4 ·
For me it's:
McDonalds = Extremely rarely except for breakfast. I like their Egg McMuffin and the coffee is tolerable. The sausage and egg mcmuffin is good if you want something that sticks to your ribs. The steak and cheese and egg mcmuffin is very good. The steak and cheese and egg bagel is good, but I order it without cheese and sauce because it's too rich for me with those things added. The parfaits are nice if I want something sweet for breakfast. They'll make a toasted English muffin for you too on request. I like the parfait and English muffin with jam sometimes.

Burger King=Double cheeseburger with "value" fries (the smallest package). A genuinely good combination. I tried their version of the big mac and it's not bad. Haven't had a whopper in a very long time. Their breakfast is no good.

Hardees=The best fast food burger chain I know of. Surprisingly good, and better than most restaurants that have a wait staff. Alas, the fries are not my favorite kind of fries, but they are not bad either.

Arbys=The turkey sandwiches served on hamburger buns are good. The fries are curly fries that are seasoned. Not my favorite kind of fries. Of the fast food places, I like Burger King fries the best

Subway=Turkey sub if I'm having a sandwich. Occasionally some other kind of sub. The chopped salads are quite good, and I like it made with tuna salad. Overall, subway is the fast food place that I go to most often, by far. I used to go there twice a week, but it got too expensive to be worth the money. Now I go maybe once a month. More frequently when traveling.

KFC=The roasted chicken is quite good if it's recently cooked and not to dried out. I go there a couple of times per year while traveling.

Panera=I love Panera. Awesome place. The only reason I don't go there more often is because there are not so many of them as subways etc.

#5 ·
I like Wendy's over all of them. Both locations of Carl's Jr in Lubbock were shut down due to food poisoning, and this is the second time that's happened. You also need to be careful eating out of a roach coach.
I seen a lot of people get sick from eating out of one of those.

#10 ·
Our local Wendy's went back to the thicker burger and hamburger buns. it seems nobody liked styrofoam.

No burger made can beat "In and Out burger."

#11 ·
I RARELY go to Mc D's, BK or Wendy's, but of those three I'll take Wendy's every time... I haven't been in a Mc D's in years...

I do go to Taco Bell once in a while, but you will find me at Subway most often and lately, that means once a week.

Forget KFC! WAAAAAY to expensive for those pieces of chicken about as big as blue jay parts!

IF I'm too lazy to cook chicken, then we go to Pizza Ranch! It's BY FAR has the best chicken and the is by far best deal over all! And they have plenty to go with the chicken, besides pizza!

DM

#12 ·
I went to Taco Bell once and only once. Food tasted gross and it gave me the shitts for the rest of the day.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I like the std. hard shell taco's there... I'm not a fan of much else although I wouldn't call it slop... AND yes I have eaten plenty of mex food in my life to compare it too...

But, then again, I don't eat there because I think it is, or even should be "authentic" mex food...

DM

#15 ·
I learned to eat Mexican food on the Mexico/ New Mexico border. Arizona has a little different style and across the border in Jaruez has its one style. But the biggest difference is Hatch Valey chilies. Nothing I've eaten beats their flavor.

DM, ever eat at Pepys far north restaurant? Better Mexican food that a lot of authenic yuppie mex joints in the lower states.

#16 ·
Nope, but I've eaten mex food all over including NM, Tx, Arizona and old Mexico itself... BUT some of the absolutely best mex food I've had is from the Mexicans around here, especially a Mexican buddy of mine that flat can cook some of his family recipes!

Lots and lots of orchards around here, so lots of Mexican food and workers here...

DM

#20 ·
There is a local burger joint here. It's owned by a couple we've known since they were school kids with our kids. They turn out the best burger in the area and it's not one of those dinky sized ones that you get at MacDonalds, Burger King or Sonic. It and an order of fries and I'm stuffed. They also offer some mexican food and it's excellent too. We seldom eat there though as their food or the amount you get makes your pants shrink.

#21 ·
Anyone remember Burger Chef? I loved that place as a kid.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Before Hardee's bought them out I ate a lot of Sandy's up in the Bemidji areas, and when I was a lot younger used to get Henry's by the bag, which was their slogan in the St. Cloud area.
My home town had one of the four McCarthy's joints in the entire state and I spent a lot of money there but our Dairy Queen was DQ and Braiser and we would spend a lot of hours eating Braiser burger while BSing with Harvey the owner.
There was a Tonto's Taco on Highway 7 close to Williston in the twin cities and I would drive in just to eat their red and green burritos, FANTASTIC, but they were bought out by Taco Bell which is mediocre on its best day, but I LOVE Taco John's. I do not care what there meat is made of I LOVE it..
There was Taco Bill's in ST.Cloud which had burritos full of juicy shredded beef but it quit well over decade ago when the theater building it was in was sold and they were told they would have to move for the new occupant. It sat empty for over a decade before being torn down but there is a new quick food Tex-Mex joint in town that has shredded beef burritos the rival the late Taco Bill's.

#25 ·
back in the day sandys was the first fast food restaurant in the area. I remember 20 cent burgers and 22 cent cheeseburgers. I also remember Burger Chef. We went there a lot because you could put all the fixings on your burger for free and we could turn a cheap burger into a meal. Both are long gone. I still have one vivid memory of sandys. I remember being in there with my parents and family and looking out the window across the street to the Plymouth dealership were a new lime green aar cuda sat right out front. I drewled on the table. Still one of my favorite of all times cars.

#26 ·
In this area we have a few Bill Thomas Halo burgers, they still have one of the best grilled chicken sandwiches on a burger bun, done your way. They were sold recently and the food quality I have not seen a decline in but the places where we have last been sure are not very godly, (cleanseness is next to godliness).

We have been to Culvers twice at two different locations in the past couple of years and found their food to be really good. Had a 3 piece fish dinner a week ago and really liked it. Their ad on TV showing squeezing the juice out of a burger disgusted me how ever.

We still like to go to the local Dairy Queen on occasion and not just for the ice cream either. Think they have the best onion rings that are not home made.

Lot of Tim Horton's in this area and the food isn't to bad, coffee and donuts are certainty good though.

I like Hardees but have to drive 40 miles to find one here.

:D Al

#27 ·
Wendy's : you'll leave still hungry or broke or both with their paper-thin postage stamp size burgers. and there ain't much substance in that bowl of lettuce they call a 'salad' either.

Burger King : good food that'll fill ya up long as ya stay away from their 'dollar menu'. awesome specialty burgers/sammiches, good hot-dogs, and hard to beat 10 nuggets for a buck & a half.

Hardee's : awesome specialty burgers/sammiches, good biscuits, and the 5 dollar big bag lunch is hard to beat. do wish they'd bring back their delicioso fried chicken though.

Arby's : meat mountain-'nuff said. love their Buffalo sliders & Jamocha shakes. specialty sammiches are awesome but they don't keep'em on the menu long enough.

MickeyD's : I'd meet Conan there for breakfast but, other than that they ain't hittin' on much. Big Macs have gone completely south but, the Mac Jr. was pretty good while it lasted.

KFC : love their chicken but, it don't justify the king's ransom they want for it.

Taco Bell : used to have awesome food but now everything's clobbered up with funky rice, greasy taters, or soggy Frito's to try to disguise the shrinkin' meat portions. I'd rather pay a bit more to get the good food they used to have.

Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's : all good but, I challenge you to put on a blindfold & tell me which one yer eatin'.

lots of good small places in the area but for the most part they ain't as good as their prices would suggest.

#28 ·
I preferred Burger Chef back then to McDonald's and that was when McDonald's food was much better. We also had a *****'s in my area that was good. I think the PC crowd didn't like their name because I remember the name changed to "There's No Place Like Sam's" at some point.

#29 ·
We had a Sambos in my area also but it was a family style restaurant. We also had a jack in the box it was famous for being open after 2:00 AM for the drunks.

Always liked the A in A&W, still one here inside a gas station with limited seating.

:D Al

#30 ·
Long John Silvers,amazing good fish and plenty for cheap.. Carl's Jr,great burgers and good cheap breakfast.Best tacos in the world, Jack in the box,just don't ask what mystery meat it is.And yes,being born and raised and still living in Arizona,all my Hispanic compadres agree with Jack tacos.Two for a buck.Del Tacos ground turkey tacos are good too.

#31 ·
We used to have burger chef, now long gone. There was another back then I can't seem to remember, it was good, then word got out the parent company was Ralston purina, and they died off almost overnight. Shame, as I remember it was good. But then, everybody was better then.
Gotten away from Mc Donalds, tasted fine, but nauseous for hours, and it sat like rock forever. Was getting only breakfast, but that, too, got the same way, and totally gave them up. Saw some little video somewhere about what they put in many of their foods, kinda scary.
Burger King is OK, more like tolerable. Half the time, feel like crap after eating that.
Wendy's is about the same.
Really, I'm better off if I just stay away from all these places burgers, they seem the worst.
KFC seems to have lost a lot of flavor, which was why I ate it, and gained in price.
There's five guys, probably the best chain burgers around, but for the price they want I can eat a sit down meal.
No taco bell, ever.
Bojangles, chicken pretty good.
Used to do popeyes, but spicy and barretts disease not a good combo.
Never really liked papa Johns or little Caesars.
Domino's just kept improving it until it was totally inedible.
Pizza hut barely tolerable, cost a house payment, and local place cheated us on a bill.
Arby's tried to kill us both. Wife stopped and got us lunch, we both got food poisoning. Hers lasted a few days, but I had to have that giant half pound sandwich, so I spent a full week blowing both ends at once. Ended up with a hernia, complete with pinched intestine.
Arby's can burn to the ground, as far as I'm concerned.
Hardee's is still pretty good, and now about the cheapest, if you stay out of their fancy burgers.

So, we do mostly local places. There's a drive in less than half a mile away, still owned by the man that opened it in '56. Good everything we've had there. Local pizza joint for pizza.
Every once in awhile we go to five guys, sometimes we go to bojangles, sometimes Hardee's, those are it for fast food. Mostly, grill burgers at home.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.