Fast food restaurants - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:30 AM

We used to have burger chef, now long gone. There was another back then I can't seem to remember, it was good, then word got out the parent company was Ralston purina, and they died off almost overnight. Shame, as I remember it was good. But then, everybody was better then.
Gotten away from Mc Donalds, tasted fine, but nauseous for hours, and it sat like rock forever. Was getting only breakfast, but that, too, got the same way, and totally gave them up. Saw some little video somewhere about what they put in many of their foods, kinda scary.
Burger King is OK, more like tolerable. Half the time, feel like crap after eating that.
Wendy's is about the same.
Really, I'm better off if I just stay away from all these places burgers, they seem the worst.
KFC seems to have lost a lot of flavor, which was why I ate it, and gained in price.
There's five guys, probably the best chain burgers around, but for the price they want I can eat a sit down meal.
No taco bell, ever.
Bojangles, chicken pretty good.
Used to do popeyes, but spicy and barretts disease not a good combo.
Never really liked papa Johns or little Caesars.
Domino's just kept improving it until it was totally inedible.
Pizza hut barely tolerable, cost a house payment, and local place cheated us on a bill.
Arby's tried to kill us both. Wife stopped and got us lunch, we both got food poisoning. Hers lasted a few days, but I had to have that giant half pound sandwich, so I spent a full week blowing both ends at once. Ended up with a hernia, complete with pinched intestine.
Arby's can burn to the ground, as far as I'm concerned.
Hardee's is still pretty good, and now about the cheapest, if you stay out of their fancy burgers.

So, we do mostly local places. There's a drive in less than half a mile away, still owned by the man that opened it in '56. Good everything we've had there. Local pizza joint for pizza.
Every once in awhile we go to five guys, sometimes we go to bojangles, sometimes Hardee's, those are it for fast food. Mostly, grill burgers at home.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 03:34 PM

I won't even enter a Long Johns Silver any more... You talk about GREASY food, their food is super greasy!

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:27 PM

I went to a Popeyes chicken place a few days ago while traveling. Not as good as KFC. Also be warned that Popeyes and KFC charge a lot for sides. I ordered a piece of chicken and a side ala carte, and the couple of ounces of cole slaw cost more than the chicken breast did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
I went to a Popeyes chicken place a few days ago while traveling. Not as good as KFC. Also be warned that Popeyes and KFC charge a lot for sides. I ordered a piece of chicken and a side ala carte, and the couple of ounces of cole slaw cost more than the chicken breast did.
When it was the only one in town, the one on Lake St. used to very good, I preferred it to any KFC.

I stopped at A&J's on Lake Street a couple of weeks ago, good broasted chicken plus they have menu beyond the ordinary if one so chooses.

RR
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:35 AM

Gunfixr,

I had forgotten about dominos. Long ago my wife and I would order dominos pizza once in a while. One day, the delivery gal asked if I wanted to give a tip and I said no. I never ordered another one, or any other delivery pizza. I assumed that delivery charges were part of the price.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
When it was the only one in town, the one on Lake St. used to very good, I preferred it to any KFC.

I stopped at A&J's on Lake Street a couple of weeks ago, good broasted chicken plus they have menu beyond the ordinary if one so chooses.

I like the KFC roasted chicken in places where it's available. Not greasy. Pretty wholesome, and a decent value. For coated fried chicken at fast food places, I like the KFC original. A softer and spicier coating than most others, and something I could not make at home. My buddy used to work for KFC years ago and he told me that they fried the chicken in a pressure cooker filled with oil. I can't quite visualize the contraption, but that's the secret to the tenderness and the way the coating is cooked.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:43 AM

Talking

We have a few Culvers around. I have ate at one twice and while it isn't fried possum it was good fish.

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
We have a few Culvers around. I have ate at one twice and while it isn't fried possum it was good fish.

Al

I have walked into a culvers, but can't get past the 'butter burger' concept. Sounds horrible. I know it's popular, but to me it's a total turn-off. Not just for the butter burgers, but for everything they sell. I remember looking at the menu and just walking out.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:51 AM

Also, there are getting to be enough wild possums around here that it wouldn't surprise me to see a fast food chain starting to sell them.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
My buddy used to work for KFC years ago and he told me that they fried the chicken in a pressure cooker filled with oil. I can't quite visualize the contraption, but that's the secret to the tenderness and the way the coating is cooked.
None of it is a secret, as when KFC got started out, they sold their own branded pressure cooker, with a recipe inside of exactly how to cook the chicken...

My brother still has one...

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page