The state of practice in fish tacos? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
I like home made better than restaurant bought.

Mine are similar to those described by jparedes except that I will use corn tortillas crisped on the stove and my sauce is sour cream with fresh lime (juice and pulp) mixed in. Purple cabbage for presentation
What kind of fish works best in them? My wife had grouper tacos but it had to be made of a grouper the size of a bluegill. It was just crumbs of meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 10:55 PM

Gun Cabinet

took me years tto wrap my head around the whole idea of fish tacos. was stationed in s. cal and had my first one at rubio's. deap fried, battered white fish, cabagge salsa, and their white sauce. good stuff. had them many differnt places some good some not. i would have to say grilled mahi is about the best after the fried rubio's ones

Kevin
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR, 22LR x2, 22 Win Mag,17 WSM, 17 Hornet, 204 Ruger UV, 22 Hornet UV, 223 Ultra, 223(for now), 22-250 UV, 25-06, 35 Whelen, 30-30, 30-06, 20ga x2, 20GA USH, 12ga USH, 12 ga Turkey, 44 Mag, H&W 45-70 BC, H&R 45-70 BC(for now), 45 LC CC, 500 S&W and 40+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh*t by the clean end!" President Harry S Truman Sept 1, 1945
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 05:01 AM

Cod is by far my favorite.
Our nearest Rubio's is 30 miles away, but that is not a deterrent for my wife. She loves Rubio's fish tacos and will drive there on a whim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 09:37 AM
Banned

I'll second the cod. Grouper should have been good. Any fish white and flaky.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:06 AM

Gun Cabinet

How do you grill them if going that route?

Fundamentalism: The sneaking suspicion that somewhere, someone, might be having fun.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post
How do you grill them if going that route?
I have grilled fish, and found that a grilling basket (about ten bucks at a hardware store) works great. I got this tip which actually works great but nobody believes me when I say it: Put the filets in the basket, then baste them with mayonnaise before grilling. Seriously. It gives really good grilled filets. There are fancy grilling baskets available but can't honestly see any reason to buy one. The basic el cheapo model I have works great.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...paign=Shopping - Catch All&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&k_clickid=7a995 71e-b87e-4fd3-9aea-8b301e458656&utm_content=Catch All
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparedes View Post
Cod is by far my favorite.
Our nearest Rubio's is 30 miles away, but that is not a deterrent for my wife. She loves Rubio's fish tacos and will drive there on a whim.
A word about cod. I like it too, but you need to prepare it to get the best out of it.

A lot of code is sold frozen in what looks like vacuum packed blocks or vacuum packs. Just thawing it out is not sufficient or you have a wet mess on your hands. Here's what works for me: Thaw it, like soaking the vacuum packs in cold water because it's faster than thawing in the fridge or at room temperature. Then unwrap the filets and put them on a several layers of paper towels on a plate in the fridge. This will wick the excess moisture out. I let cod dry out like that for at least a few hours before cooking it. It makes a huge difference and the results are way better than if you just cook the wet filets.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 05:59 PM

Default The state of practice in fish tacos?

Yesterday I bought on impulse a pound of salted smoked herrings.
Ate a small piece with mayo and bread, but it was really salty. Dumb mistake.
I researched in the internet and found out that, the same as salted cod, it needs to get desalted, but in this case, only by boiling it them in water for 5 minutes.
This afternoon I proceeded to do so in preparation for a dish that is made traditionally with cod (Bacalado a la Vizcaina), but using the herrings......not ready yet. Will report later on after dinner

Last edited by jparedes; 11-18-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: corrected gramatical errors
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparedes View Post
Yesterday I bought on impulse a pound of salted smoked herrings.
Ate a small piece with mayo and bread, but it was really salty. Dumb mistake.
I researched in the internet and found out that, the same as salted cod, it needs to get desalted, but in this case, only by boiling it them in water for 5 minutes.
This afternoon I proceeded to do so in preparation for a dish that is made traditionally with cod (Bacalado a la Vizcaina), but using the herrings......not ready yet. Will report later on after dinner
I will be very interested in how you prepared them and what the results were. I know it’s different from bacalao because herring are oily fish and cod isn’t. For bacalao, I’m used to desalting it for three days and several changes of water.

How big were the herring? Little sardine size, or jumbo filleting size? Or like these?...

https://www.thespruce.com/fried-saut...recipe-2138034

Last edited by conan the librarian; 11-18-2017 at 08:20 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 08:50 AM

Results: Not that great.
The flavor is a strong one. Not for the un-initiated.
Besides, it came out on the salty side. I boiled the herrings for 5 minutes, drained them and washed them three times in warm water, but it was not enough. Next time, if ever, I will boil them a second time with a fresh batch of water, or will do the overnight process the way salted cod is done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page