The state of practice in fish tacos? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Default The state of practice in fish tacos?

What is your experience with restaurant fish tacos? I've tried them a couple of times at different places that I consider good coastal seafood restaurants, but they were a major disappointment. And expensive too. It was as if they took leftover fish from what people didn't eat, and instead of throwing it away, they crumbled it up, let it get cold and stale in the fridge for about a week, and then put a little of it on a flour tortilla, slopped some leftover salad on it, garnished it with a little diced mango, and then charged $10 for two of them. Not very appetizing.

My wife tried them on a recent trip and her experience was the same as mine. This was at another seafood restaurant we have liked for years.

I have heard people say that fish tacos are great and fabulous and delicious. I don't doubt them, but it has not been my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 03:21 PM

God meant for fish to be fried and eaten with hush puppies, coleslaw and french fries; period.

If you eat it any other way, you're a sicko. except smoked of course

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
God meant for fish to be fried and eaten with hush puppies, coleslaw and french fries; period.

If you eat it any other way, you're a sicko. except smoked of course
There is a third way, and you might like it. Grilled in a grilling basket. Grilling baskets cost about $10 for a decent but not fancy one. Put the filets in the grilling basket (so you can cook them on the grill without them falling apart) and baste them with mayonnaise (I'm not joking) on both sides before you put them on the grill. It's good.

The trick is that the filets need to be thick enough. Battered and fried adds thickness to the fish, and you don't get that extra thickness with unbuttered or otherwise uncoated fish.

About hushpuppies: My wife is a native northerner and still doesn't fully understand what an electric fan does, but when I ordered some hushpuppies for her the first time she had them, she's been a fan ever since. Those were good hushpuppies. Some restaurants don't have good ones.

I'll also try to weasel in the possibility of including onion rings in your list. Ones made with big thick rings of real onions and a good crispy batter coating, none of that burger king type stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 03:41 PM

I've had grilled fish. it was edible but I like my crunchy fish. I agree on the onion rings.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 04:03 PM
Banned

I tied fish tacos in a California once at a sea side side restaurant. But when i looked away Jonathan living seagull stole them lol.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 10:00 AM

I like fish and I like tacos but for some reason I don't believe they should be combined so I've never tried a fish taco. Maybe I'm missing something.

I do love hushpuppies though, especially the jalapeno ones. They are just another form of cornbread and almost all cornbread is goooood, except that stuff called sweet Texas cornbread. That stuff is worse than chile with beans in it.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
What is your experience with restaurant fish tacos? I've tried them a couple of times at different places that I consider good coastal seafood restaurants, but they were a major disappointment. And expensive too. It was as if they took leftover fish from what people didn't eat, and instead of throwing it away, they crumbled it up, let it get cold and stale in the fridge for about a week, and then put a little of it on a flour tortilla, slopped some leftover salad on it, garnished it with a little diced mango, and then charged $10 for two of them. Not very appetizing.

My wife tried them on a recent trip and her experience was the same as mine. This was at another seafood restaurant we have liked for years.

I have heard people say that fish tacos are great and fabulous and delicious. I don't doubt them, but it has not been my experience.

Fish tacos originated at the fisherman docks in Ensenada, Baja California. They are a cultural mix of the Japanese people living in the area and of course the local folks.
Original recipe:
Deep fried fish on a beer and panko batter
Flour tortillas (no corn tortillas in Baja)
Chopped cabbage
Sauce (1/4 mayonnaise and 3/4 yogurt)
Limes
Cilantro

Put all ingredients in the tortilla, sprinkle with lime juice and salt.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Banned

I like home made better than restaurant bought.

Mine are similar to those described by jparedes except that I will use corn tortillas crisped on the stove and my sauce is sour cream with fresh lime (juice and pulp) mixed in. Purple cabbage for presentation
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 01:17 PM

Gun Cabinet

Had fish tacos Friday evening. They had a slice of avocado also. Very tasty.

Fundamentalism: The sneaking suspicion that somewhere, someone, might be having fun.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post
Had fish tacos Friday evening. They had a slice of avocado also. Very tasty.
Ok. Now I know who has the good stuff. Bring some over to the house when you get a chance. I’ll be waiting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page