Trucker food - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE New Mexico
Posts: 5,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
As a former trucker I have to laugh at people who don't know, talk about truck stops being a good place to eat. After all all the truckers stop there. Wonder if the fools who say that relize you (in my day) cn't park a 70 foot rig at just any old spot.

So truckers then & today are pretty much forced to eat at places with big parking lots. Isn't like you can just pull up to a curb then back out to go on the hiway.

I my self have slapped together a Jungle lunch of lunch meat between two slices of soft white bread, my days it was wonder bread.

Al

Aw, come on, surely you could figure out how to wiggle one of those into an Ihop or Chili's. I've never driven a big rig but I used to pull a 30' fifth wheel camper with an extended cab long bed pickup with a jeep wrangler hanging off the back end of everything. It severley limited my meal options while traveling. Most of the time we just pulled into a roadside park and fixed our own chow instead of the going thru the hassle of parking close to an eating joint.
oldandslow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Argent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 20,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
Aw, come on, surely you could figure out how to wiggle one of those into an Ihop or Chili's. I've never driven a big rig but I used to pull a 30' fifth wheel camper with an extended cab long bed pickup with a jeep wrangler hanging off the back end of everything. It severley limited my meal options while traveling. Most of the time we just pulled into a roadside park and fixed our own chow instead of the going thru the hassle of parking close to an eating joint.
My sister did that when they came out here in their RV from Cali. Dang she had an entire kitchen in that thing.
Argent11 is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
bugeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Morrow Ga.
Posts: 18,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
As a former trucker I have to laugh at people who don't know, talk about truck stops being a good place to eat. After all all the truckers stop there. Wonder if the fools who say that relize you (in my day) cn't park a 70 foot rig at just any old spot.

So truckers then & today are pretty much forced to eat at places with big parking lots. Isn't like you can just pull up to a curb then back out to go on the hiway.

I my self have slapped together a Jungle lunch of lunch meat between two slices of soft white bread, my days it was wonder bread.

Al
Breakfast at the AT was plenty of fried taters, meat, and eggs. A bigger pile of all that than at your basic restaurant.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
bugeye is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SE New Mexico
Posts: 5,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
My sister did that when they came out here in their RV from Cali. Dang she had an entire kitchen in that thing.

Yep. I finally got my wife to exchange her cast iron cookware for some much lighter utensils and picked up about a mile more to the gallon in the fuel burning department. I'm just kidding but I told her that although I seriously doubt she believed me. She's much too smart to believe most of the stuff like that I try to pull on her.
oldandslow is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: -40F area Minn.
Posts: 10,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
As a former trucker I have to laugh at people who don't know, talk about truck stops being a good place to eat. After all all the truckers stop there. Wonder if the fools who say that relize you (in my day) cn't park a 70 foot rig at just any old spot.

So truckers then & today are pretty much forced to eat at places with big parking lots. Isn't like you can just pull up to a curb then back out to go on the hiway.
I my self have slapped together a Jungle lunch of lunch meat between two slices of soft white bread, my days it was wonder bread.
Al
If you are in an area with a lot of truck stops, especially those not on a freeway, people payed attention to which truck stop cafeteria had the most business.
The Highway in my home town used to have four within a stretch of 90 miles and some were better than others, from experience, and the one with the best food did pull the most truck traffic.
It was good enough that people would go there on Sunday straight from church, often.
Sadly all but one closed in the past twenty years.

RR
Bob Riebe is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Argent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 20,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
If you are in an area with a lot of truck stops, especially those not on a freeway, people payed attention to which truck stop cafeteria had the most business.
The Highway in my home town used to have four within a stretch of 90 miles and some were better than others, from experience, and the one with the best food did pull the most truck traffic.
It was good enough that people would go there on Sunday straight from church, often.
Sadly all but one closed in the past twenty years.
Our Pilot is packed. Someone made a good business decision there. And the girl told me they
are expanding.
Argent11 is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 334
Default

My dad was a truck driver. If we ever went anyplace (which was seldom) we always ate at truck stops. Of course in the forties there really weren't fast food places, that started in the fifties, at least around here.

mike
105745 is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:09 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saginaw
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
Aw, come on, surely you could figure out how to wiggle one of those into an Ihop or Chili's. I've never driven a big rig but I used to pull a 30' fifth wheel camper with an extended cab long bed pickup with a jeep wrangler hanging off the back end of everything. It severley limited my meal options while traveling. Most of the time we just pulled into a roadside park and fixed our own chow instead of the going thru the hassle of parking close to an eating joint.

There were lots of places that you could get into, sometimes the problem becomes apparent when you try to get back out though.
frkelly is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome