Foo-Foo frying pan - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Default Foo-Foo frying pan

I had been wanting to for a long, long time but I finally spent the bucks for a truly top line frying pan.
This site:
https://www.centurylife.org/product-...er-aka-5-star/

https://www.centurylife.org/category/kitchen/cookware/

Gives the best test information on on cookware of all those I looked at, and there are some good ones if you sift through the ones that say really nothing except to push the ones they want to.

I ordered a Demeyere from Zwilling on line and paid 99 bucks, on sale, for a 9.5 frying pan , whose list price is 275 bucks, on Ebay.
Demeyere and All-Clad seem to be the best two out there and this site tells why they are or are not at the top of the list.
From all sites I have looked at the main complaint for cast iron is weight, especially on the large items.

I also read on several sites that there is NO such thing as a heirloom non-stick, they all have a limited life no matter how much you pay and if you are going to spend big bucks you should get one that can last a life time.
One thing several sites also said that if you get a frying, especially a high priced one, READ the instructions on how it should be used, especially when you first use it.
Many people have ruined very high price cook wear because they did not.

Oddly this brand has a 30 year warranty but another brand , if the cook ware is used at home, and not in a professional kitchen the warranty is voided.

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 03-04-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:41 PM

I hope you realize you will raise the ire of the cast iron fry pan gang. I made the mistake of saying I really like the air fryer that my son bought us for xmas. I have watched on tv the gotham non stick fry pan that can be banged with a hammer. It is ceramic over nonobtainiam or some other exotic metal. I bought a whole set of it at Walmart at xmas time for 99.95. It really does what the guy says on tv, nothing sticks to it. It truly is remarkable, now, through the years I have bought a number of non stick fry pans. I just took a box of them to goodwill. They seem to be non stick at first but not later. We will see about the gotham cookware. I mean it though, it works great. To all of the cast iron pan lovers, they also make a great weight dragged behind a Michigan drift boat for trout fly fishing. They slow the boat down just right. When you see the chefs on tv they are usually using cookware that looks like the pan that Bob Reibe just bought, I wish him well with his new pan. (I bet it doesn't slow down a drift boat much)

mike
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:56 PM

Bob, I'm not going to mention one word of your post to my wife who is the cook around here. She does a perfectly adequate job with lesser pans and I consider them to be pretty expensive but not in the neighborhood of yours. If I keep my mouth shut I'll have more gun money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:22 PM

Wise, very wise!
Handled on a need to know basis.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:54 AM

I abuse them and my wife is 10 times worse then me so its cheap and toss away about once a year and get a new one. Id probably shoot my wife if she took a steel spatuala to a 100 dollar plus frying pan. So cheap keeps me out of prison. By the way I wont let here touch my cast iron pots and pans.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:18 AM

My wife bought a set of stainless steel cookware. Not as expensive as yours Bob but nice. The food sticks to the frying pan & you canít season it. So Iíll stick with my cast iron cookware. And I bought the wife one of those no stick coated frying pans for $20 and sheís happy.

But Iíll real glad you like your foo-fooo pan.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:26 AM

Gun Cabinet

I have an All-Clad for my 12 inch skillet. I like it a lot but seldom need that much cooking surface with just Kathie and me. I also have a good, can't remember the brand, 12 in. non-stick skillet but have only used it once.

Mostly I use the CI pans I leave sitting on the counter next to the stove-top!

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:41 AM

I believe Bob has talked about his cast iron cookware in the past. So he probably just had some disposable income and wanted to try something different.

Iíve pretty much tried them all to and keep coming back to the old standard, cast iron. Iíve even tried the old carbon steel fry pans. And as long as you keep them oiled they work pretty good and are liter than cast iron.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
I believe Bob has talked about his cast iron cookware in the past. So he probably just had some disposable income and wanted to try something different.

I’ve pretty much tried them all to and keep coming back to the old standard, cast iron. I’ve even tried the old carbon steel fry pans. And as long as you keep them oiled they work pretty good and are liter than cast iron.
I reently bought one of those "copper" fry pans.. I wanted to try the non-stick feature, plus get a rounded bottom pan..so I could try flipping my eggs.
Well, I still use some kind of lube for frying..olive oil, butter or spray oil. It doesn't work as advertised..but for the reduced $10 price..it's OK.

Having spent some time with the cutlery business..I can vouch for Zwilling. They don't market junk ! Zwlling/Henkel Twin Works... is top quality.

Here's some on sale..cookware apparently has visual imperfections.. runny glaze?
https://www.zwilling.com/us/sale/clearance/

This one looks tempting. https://www.zwilling.com/us/staub-ca...rance#start=23

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)

Last edited by ironglow; 03-05-2019 at 01:01 PM.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
Here's some on sale..cookware apparently has visual imperfections.. runny glaze?
https://www.zwilling.com/us/sale/clearance/

This one looks tempting. https://www.zwilling.com/us/staub-ca...rance#start=23
OHOHOHOHOH -- Get thee behind me Satan!

KNIVES, I spent some time the other day going through kitchen drawers and over flow storage and even with out the serrated edge knives which I consider useless, I have enough knives that I could probably go a full year, if I sharpened them all today, without ever having to sharpen another knife as I could just switch to another knife.
I like the high buck ones, most are worth the money but I have a lot of old school knives, names that were big in the fifties, and cheapo knives that I have no idea where they came from , that if you keep them sharp work just as well as the high bucks ones, and sharpen easier, plus some I got just because I wanted the latest greatest that there is really no reason for me to EVER buy another kitchen knife.

I may finally get a top line electric knife sharpener though, I have several versions of small ones, you could put them in your pocket, and the very end of one Ma bough fifty years ago,some type of soft stone is finally down to the last three inches but I want one that I have read do put a professional quality edge on a knife quickly.
My old sharpeners worked well enough that on more than one occasion I learned the hard way to be careful when washing dishes and the knife is hidden under the suds when my hand came out bleeding.

RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page