Mayo... - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Default Mayo...

Sun Dried Tomato Aioli
(aka Mayonnaise)

This recipe makes about 1 pint and a half...

4 large eggs
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons wine vinegar (red or white)
1 tablespoon dried onion
2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
teaspoon salt,
teaspoon white pepper
teaspoon cream of tarter
1 teaspoon sugar (or substitute like Splenda)
a dash of Dijon mustard
about 2 cups oil

Start by using a mortar and pestle to grind the dried onion. Add the rest of the spices and sugar and mix, then add to a blender. Next add the lemon juice and vinegar. Put the top on the blender and run on low until the sun dried tomatoes are chopped up.

Stop the blender and add the eggs. It's best to break them in a measuring cup or bowl in case you get some shells in there, they'll be easy to remove. Put the top back on the blender and start it on low for about a minute then on high until the tomatoes and eggs are all blended smooth.

About the oil... Don't use extra virgin olive oil or the final product will taste like soap. I don't know why this is but I ruined 2 batches figuring it out. You can use a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil for a little flavor but no more. Use a light oil like Canola or light olive oil. I recommend these 2 types because they are the most healthy oils I know of. I say to use about 2 cups be in reality you don't measure it. After the rest of the ingredients are blended, turn the speed down to low and remove the center cap on the blender. Start trickling in the oil in the slowest steady stream you can pour. After the mix starts to thicken up, turn the speed up to high and continue trickling in the oil. Look down into the vortex while you are adding the oil and you've added enough when the vortex closes and the oil starts to puddle. Once you see the puddle and it will be tiny at maybe an 1/8th teaspoon. Stop adding oil and let the blender run until the puddle disappears.

Turn the blender off and now the hard part starts, getting all that wonderful tasting aioli out of the blender into a jar and refrigerate...

It's great right out of the blender but it will taste just a little acidic. It's best on the second day after you make it and it's good in the refrigerator for about a month. Personally I've never had a jar last long enough to go bad.

If you find the taste a little to acidic, you can increase the sugar by teaspoon to help balance the flavor. Don't leave out the mustard it helps with emulsion and it's not at all obvious that it's there...

Optionally you can add other spices you like. Basil is a good option and hot smoked paprika or cayenne pepper if you like it hot...

It's great on sandwiches or as a salad dressing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page