Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: rural southwestern N.Y. State
Years ago I used to collect the common edible mushrooms..however, in recent years I hear of knowledgeable mushroom hunters being fooled into eating some bad ones.
Needless to say, I only use commercially raised mushrooms these days.
We have something here which we call "puffballs". They grow on the ground, looking like a white ball up to about 8", some folks slice these and eat them, and I suppose they are quite safe, since by their shape they are unique enough not to be confused with another.
If you don't get them the first day..they dry up, turn brown and when kicked or stepped upon the release a big puff of dark brown powder. Thus.."puffball".
"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
Last edited by ironglow; 04-30-2019 at 05:06 PM.