Aldi's brands vs. name brands - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

They are cheaper on average for boxed, canned and a lot of frozen stuff but once they get established the deals are not on every thing if they enlarge the store.
They are owned by the world's largest grocery business.

Their meat, if they sell it, not all stores have it, can be a real bargain, or not.
Walmart meat is rarely a bargain and often higher than foo-foo food stores at times.
We have Sam's club where meat is a deal.

I read back about six months ago, Aldi is going to open some stores that are closer to foo-foo style chains than bargain style.
Last winter the two high bucks grocery stores in town often, on sale, had top line beef lower than Aldi's and actually any one else in town.
I now regret , highly, not stocking up.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:39 PM

There is an Aldi's about 15 miles west of me and another 25 miles south of me. The biggest difference between them and the big chain groceries..Publix, Price Chopper, Wegman's, Walmart etc...are the prices.

I shopped at one just a couple days ago..Large eggs 59 cents a dozen.. They have very good baked goods.. I use their very fine 12 grain bread @ I believe it was $1.49, and I bought a package of 6 bagels $1.44..

I think their vegetables are as good as anybody's..but slightly less variety. Potato chips etc.. (Clancy's brand) about half the price of Lay's chips etc..and IMO just as good.

Yes, it costs a quarter to rent the cart, but when you are done, you put the cart back where you got it...and you get your quarter back. That saves the broken, bent and hard running carts one often encounters with those that are left kicking around the parking lot.

I usually pass my cart to somebody just arriving, and suggest they just "pay it forward". Or I could take the quarter they offer.

Aldi's is home based in Germany, so there is a fair assortment of first quality German foods. Since I lived 2.5 years in Germany, it is a trip down memory lane, when I buy and use some of those products.

Yes, they are normally understaffed..and checkout may or may not, be a bit more delayed than others. ..But it is not so bad as to force me to another store.

Yes, they could furnish handicapped, electric carts.

The two I have shopped in, are not disorganized or "jumbled", but just as clean, neat and organized as the big guys.

Some folks have a penchant for quality "Deutche Shokolade" (German chocolate) and Aldis has a good assortmrnt of the same.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:46 PM

Gun Cabinet

We have an Aldies in the next town, some of their store brand stuff is good ,like their chili beans. The produce is always fresher and cheaper. They do a heck of a business.

ďI won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.Ē

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:18 PM

The one I went in was in Stockbridge Ga. and it was a mess.
As you went in, you were in a sort of tunnel with odd items on each side and it looked like it ran the length of the store. The merchandise looked like stuff that had never sold and they were forcing you to look at it again.
You could look over the top on one side and see the open store.
Maybe it was an inept manager in that one, but it did send me packing.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Quiver View Post
They handle let’s say, 250 items period. They are 200 fastest moving items they can identify and 50 odd ball “Big Lots” type strangeness.

If you want spices it better be salt or pepper. Cake mix white or chocolate, you get the idea.

They are German based and do have some German products that you don’t normally see.

If you appreciate a one and done sort of store this ain’t it. But for basic staples that brand means nothing you can certainly save money.

Oh, bring bags as they don’t give them away. I like a couple totes in the truck to empty the cart into. The first trip will be strange, give it a few trips. I wouldn’t drive an extra 50’ to go there. But, there are those who will drive a half hour extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The quality of the food products are exceptional for the price. Could not help but notice you also shop there... I call bs on this post...

Last edited by Mule 11; 06-27-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:42 PM

We have another, similar store in our area. It is called Save-a-Lot (of Earth City, MO)..their prices are about the same as Aldi's. People here go there for meat, rather than buy meat at the big chains.

While I find almost all of Aldi's canned and packaged products to be good, Save-a-Lot can vary quite a bit (IMO) so you have to shop there for a while, before you have learned what ones are acceptable...and most are.

Once you have become familiar with Save-a-Lot, and are familiar with their products, it's like shopping at the big stores..and paying less.

I could shop exclusively at Aldi's and be content.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:04 AM

Exactly, Iím a Heinz catsup person pretenders need not apply. It for so many other things they are just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
We have another, similar store in our area. It is called Save-a-Lot
We used to have a Save-a-Lot but it closed.
I did go there for there cheap T-bone steak but while they tasted good tender was not a word that should be associated with them in any way.
As dad used to say, probably from an old milk cow.

RR

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 06-30-2019 at 01:40 AM.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
We used to have a Save-a-Lot but it closed.
I did go there for there cheap T-bone steak but while they tasted good tender was not a word that should be associated with the in any way.
As dad used to say, probably from an old milk cow.

Could be, I don't buy/eat much meat. hat little I have bought there was OK. I was going more by the words of friends who do buy there.

They do have some low priced hot dogs..and I buy a package now and then. Currently those dogs are $.89 at Save-a-Lot and I bought a couple packages of about the same at Aldi's last week for $.79 @.

Both were 12 oz packages....cheaper than a can of dog food !

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:28 PM

Aldi and itís cousin store Trader Joeís sell mostly the same items but have different labels. They both carry their European roots with product and shopping style. They were actually brothers who split up Europe for store placement. Quality is fine - a whole lot better than Walmart and other private labels. They pay their workers well along with full benefits, but donít have many in the building during each shift. You bring your own bags or buy them - part of the savings. They donít hire people to push carts from the lot - the quarter is returned when you bring them back to the cart return. Here in Michigan, we donít have Publix - but when we are in Florida we like going to them for their deli counter - and Luckyís. Shopping in my side of the state is mainly Meijers or Walmart as the smaller grocery chains canít compete and for the most part are going out of business - so Aldi and Sav-a-Lot fill a niche.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page